“Favorite Stay of our Ireland Trip”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Kilcornan
Rigney's Farmhouse Bed & Breakfast
Ranked #1 of 1 Kilcornan B&B and Inns
Denver, Colorado
“Favorite Stay of our Ireland Trip”
Reviewed 25 June 2013

We started our two week Ireland trip by staying at Rigney's for 2 nights and if I ever go back, I can guarantee we will stay for longer. We were met with tea and home baked bread that I'm still trying to determine how to replicate. There were five in our family and we stay in one room with a double and another with 3 twins so it was perfect. The Rigney's were so friendly and welcoming, we felt completely at ease. Their farm is beautiful and we loved learning a little about it. (I would love to learn more if I get to return to Ireland!) They recommended a nearby forest for a little walk and it was just beautiful. Rigney's is truly in the countryside. The day we were leaving, Caroline had to be at a Farmer's Market. We asked for directions so we could run by as it was on our route. When we arrived and stopped to say hello to her, we truly felt we were stopping to see an old friend, not someone we had just met. They are wonderful people and the B & B was my favorite of our trip.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank chellebellere

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Indianapolis
Reviewed 16 November 2012

I’m a harsh judge. I admit it.
I spend a lot of time on the road and have developed a pretty high standard for accommodations. So please consider that when I say Rigney’s Farmhouse was the best stay my wife and I had during our 10-day holiday in Ireland. My first 5-star review. (Also consider that, prior to our stay at Rigney’s, we had just spent three nights at Ashford Castle.)

This was my first stay at a B&B (and my first time to Ireland), so I really didn’t know what to expect. There were SO may B&B’s to choose from in Ireland, I really didn’t know how to go about picking one. After weeks of fretting, I simply had to choose one. So I picked the one with the prettiest picture on its website. Talk about getting lucky! (A lot of B&Bs we drove past were little more than someone renting a room in their suburban home.) Rigney’s Farmhouse is a proper B&B, with private rooms and baths.

Caroline, Joe and Rebecca were all wonderful hosts and excellent stewards of their land and animals. Even the housedogs were well-mannered and polite hosts! Breakfast is something that can only be experienced, not described. Meats, puddings and eggs all from right outside your window. Vegans, you might be in trouble….but you can survive quite well on just the homemade bread. The bread. Oh dear lord, the bread. You will only really need that one meal…but a myriad of dining options are available a short drive into town. Relaxing in the sitting room in front of the fire with a Hot Toddy made from local honey made for a perfect end to each evening. (by “local honey”, I mean from the next door neighbor’s hives.)

Helping out with the farm chores was a treat (…even if all I managed to do was slow Joe down!) Horses in from the pasture, eggs gathered, turkeys and chickens in their pens, pigs fed…Oh, and if you think pigs stink, they don’t! Cleanest critters on the farm. It’s only when they’re housed in giant industrial pork mills that they wreak havoc on your nose. Rigney’s free range porkers have no smell at all. Learn something new every day.

The location lends itself to easy day-trips to most any of Ireland’s landmarks. Cliffs, castles, cities…everything is within an hour’s drive so this makes an excellent ‘home base’ from which to tour Ireland from.

A stay at Rigney’s Farmhouse isn’t just a night at a B&B. At the risk of sounding like a hippie (which I’m not): It’s a glimpse into a holistic, free-range, organic way of life. It’s mildly life-changing. I don’t know how it all works; it just does.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
4 Thank airmotive
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 26 September 2012

I wish TripAdvisor had a video function so you could get a sense of my elation, but simply put, the Rigney Farmhouse was a picturesque property outside Limerick that was one of the highlights of a recent 10 day trip throughout Europe.
My girlfriend and I were on a trip to Ireland for a friend's wedding in Galway, and decided to stay at Rigney's Farmhouse based on the glowing reviews here on tripadvisor. The community couldn't have been more right when rating this property at 5 stars, everything was just amazing, from the farm animals, to the owner Caroline, to the incredible scones and breakfast we were served, it was just a delightful place to experience the best of Ireland. Happily, Heartily recommended!
-Jim Johnson

• Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank jjohnson4180
Italy
Reviewed 10 September 2012

Stay at this farmhouse was absolutely wonderful! The owners are really friendly and when we arrived they prepared tea,coffee and homemade scones for us! Even the dogs and the cat wass really friendly with us! The breakfast was absolutely perfect! The rooms are really clean and large! The place is quite and relaxing :) So a massive thank you to the Rigney's !! I reccomend this farmhouse to everyone!

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Norma S
Annandale, Virginia
Reviewed 31 August 2012

This was our 3rd time staying at the Rigney's Farm B&B. My 10 year old daughter and I stayed with the Rigney's on their farm again this year for our summer vacation and we were greeted so warmly and taken in like family! I really can't say enough good things about their farm.

The rooms are a good size, clean and quiet. Breakfast is delicious and Caroline is so very accommodating (both of us are very picky eaters). All of the animals are loved and well looked after, which is probably why the meat products she makes are so very tasty!

We were allowed to chip-in with the farm chores (feeding the pigs, collecting eggs, digging up potatoes for diner, etc...) We got to ride Minty (a beautiful white horse). Oh, and Caroline showed us how to make butter from farm fresh cream (cow milk).

Something I noticed this year was just how well they controlled their waste... (I think they keep a pretty small "footprint") From recycling every little thing, to kitchen scraps going to the pigs (except meat of course), to burning any papers in their stove, composting, etc... They really have a good little system, it's quite admirable in my opinion, everyone should try to be so thoughtful about how they dispose of things.

We didn't venture off the farm too much this year except to go 15 minutes to Askeaton for the community indoor pool there and into Limerick to watch a movie. The farm is also situated within walking distance to the Curragh Chase National Forest Park and about 5 minutes from the Stonewall Visitor Farm (like a mini-zoo).

We only stayed for 6 days this year after finishing out a CIE bus tour through Scotland and Northern Ireland, but I'm already wanting to go back!

See you next summer Caroline and Joe, thanks for everything :)

Room Tip: All the rooms are pretty nice, good comfy mattresses and duvets. Each room has it's own bathroom...
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank mpaszkie
Nairobi, Kenya
Reviewed 21 June 2012

We were four people on a business trip about livestock research and found we had some free time to explore a bit, and called up Rigney's at the last minute. They were able to accommodate us. Our GPS was a bit challenged to find the place, but we made it, to be greeted with homemade scones just out of the oven. The rooms are very nice and spacious with an old-house feel to it, but with modern amenities. The first treat was walking around the farm and chatting with Caroline and her daughter about their experience in getting into livestock farming. Lovely rare-breed pigs, shorthorns, hens, horses, and well-behaved, well-fed dogs. The second treat was a very peaceful night, and the third, the breakfast -- as described in the other reviews. We didn't have to (and weren't able to) eat another meal that day! Wish we could have spent more time there. Highly recommended!

• Stayed June 2012, travelled on business
Oxford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 June 2012

We stayed for a couple of nights recently on recommendation of a friend who we were visiting on our trip and were certainly not disappointed. Caroline & Rebecca could not have made us feel more at home. Our room was huge with excellent views and breakfast was first class, all from their own home produce. We were even treated to a tour of the farm by Rebecca the next morning. Would definitely recommend this as a great place to stay if you are visiting this area.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with friends
Rigneysfarm, Owner at Rigney's Farmhouse Bed & Breakfast, responded to this review, 12 June 2012
We are so happy that you enjoyed your stay with us. Thank you for choosing to stay with us, perhaps we will meet again some time.
Caroline
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kilcornan
Dunraven Arms Hotel
Great National South Court Hotel
Fitzgerald's Woodlands House Hotel
Berkeley Lodge
Berkeley Lodge
#3 of 19 in Adare

Been to Rigney's Farmhouse Bed & Breakfast? Share your experiences!