“Spooky place”

Genting View Resort
Ranked #10 of 11 Hotels in Genting Highlands
Reviewed 9 September 2012

When I was travelling to this place, so many areas in this hotel made me so scary...this place really need a lot of renovation or might be have to rebuild. I don't feel so comfort while staying here, the place like a horror place. Not clean and for me, really not a place to stay with. I can't stand with my room and the toilet very old style. The lifts so old, and I certainly not coming back to this place except if they make renovation about this place. The staffs, most of them not really helpful, not good service and not friendly. I felt like a lost stranger here. Please, for the management, make things better now...you really need a new building for this.

Room Tip: Just refurnished the room, buy LCD TV and make good quality for toilet standard of a good hotel, ple...
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled solo
5  Thank Reynold A

Reviewed 24 August 2012

Price is okay and a nice place to escape from the city.Not much to do here, have to go to the highlands if one to enjoy himself. Shuttle will be provided upon request. The food is not a worth to try despite of its expensive price. It is really not a value for money. The swimming pool nearby the reception is out of service until further notice. Pleasemake sure to have Plan B when checking in here.

Room Tip: Light cooking is allowed.
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 15 August 2012

Last year, me and my family member approx more than 10 person was staying in Genting View Resort, middle of the way to top. All the because we plan to take skyway cable. I did advance booking for the 3 Bedroom Apt - Riverview side for one night.
Upon arrival, there is ample of parking space in front of the unit. Just that is quite troublesome as the reception counter quite a distance from the unit. Overall the house was really above expectation. From kitchen, provided necessary utensil and big dustbin. That great. The rooms was really nice, tidy and clean. The unit have awesome view from balcony which facing the river side, hearing and experience the waterflow just simple and great. Never forget the pricing is affordable. Really have a good day there and most important my family members love it so much. Thanks for the hotel staff service and best quality of accomodation.
If you are on this page, might be planning for trip in future, have a nice trip.

Room Tip: 3 Bedroom apartment by riverside of the best is facing the riverside.
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled with family
3  Thank Joanne H
Reviewed 21 July 2012

nice hotel with everything you would expect, it takes a while to get to it as it is at the top of the mountain, around 1 hour, nice restaurants and shops, the theme park is great and very nearby. take warm clothes it was quite cool, great views from our room of the clouds coming round the mountain. the cable cars that go up and down were great fun and quite scary in places, very high up! good to go on day and night. Nice casino.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 17 June 2012 via mobile

Just it back from a trip to Genting View Resort. This resort is way far from the Genting Entertainment Centre. To go there you first have to sit the shuttle van, which they may charge you RM 25 if you don't follow their predetermined schedule. Then you have to take the cable car right up for RM6 per person. However, their shuttle only goes to the cable car 3 times a day. The worst thing was when we called the hotel for the shuttle at their schedule, they said I had to pay! Only after pointing out to them that I was following their schedule, only did they relent. What a rip off! The service was bad, location to food was terrible , if you don't have transport you only have the option if their cafe. Accommodation was moldy and sparse, we had the apartments which were far off from the lobby, and you had to climb two hills to get to the lobby/cafe. All in all it was a horrible experience, mostly caused by rude and arrogant staff at the front desk.

• Stayed: June 2012
7  Thank travelphrenia
Reviewed 21 April 2012

The hotel management should improve on lots of things. The room was spacious but musty. Apart from that the staff was really rude and lacked of courtesy at all. I called for room service but was informed kitchen was closed for dinner eventhough the room service pamphlets the room clearly stated that the service was from 7.30am until 10.00 pm. The staff manning the phone was really rude. I highly suggest the hotel management to give the staff more training on hospitality. I give the hotel 2 stars only and that they did not even deserve that two star.

• Stayed: April 2012
9  Thank AinR
Reviewed 7 January 2012

Most of the reviews for this hotel are for the Genting Highlands resort, which is 10km away (and there is no shuttle to there from Genting View Resort). The GVR is near the entrance of the Genting Resort corridor and is a very confusing maze of apartments and buildings. The resort itself is just one building, but they time share/lease many apartments that are very close by. I knew most of this going in, but it was part of our time share and we were only going to be there for 2 days so it was ok. The main building is old and not well maintained (as with many buildings in extremely humid areas). They do have free wifi in the lobby so that was a plus. The check in was fine. We had to take a shuttle over to our room as it was in an apartment that was not far away by distance, but difficult to get to due to narrow and hilly roads and almost zero lighting at night. The apartment on the surface wasn't too bad. Nice tile floors, 3 bedroom with dining table and sitting area. A strange thing (that is somewhat common in these areas I was told) was that in the hallway bathroom, the toilet is INSIDE of the shower.
I'm not gonna use a toilet that is water from me just showering all over it. The "kitchen" we had had one burner and a fridge that was about 4 feet tall. We did get daily free coffee (instant) as well. There is no entertainment to speak of in the room. No internet access, and while we had a TV, it didn't have cable so we only got 4 channels (badly) and none of them were in a language we could understand (and one channel seemed to be devoted to showing ceremonial meetings with the King of Thailand). There aren't enough facilities inside of the apartment to prepare a meal (unless you brought all your own cooking utensils) and there is no grocery nearby. To get back to the main building to have dinner, we had to call the shuttle again. They don't get a lot of guests up here during the week (it's a weekend getaway area) so the restaurant wasn't fully stocked (we had to change our order 2 times as they didn't have ingredients for things we had ordered).

There are other buildings in the area that might be nicer, but since I didn't visit all of them I'm not sure. There is also a clubhouse where there might be more amenities but we didn't go (you have to take the shuttle there too)

My parent's timeshare refunded part of their payment before we even went, a telling sign even they knew it wasn't that great a place.

We only stayed 2 days as we went to Singapore afterwards. We did go back to Malaysia again (we had flown into Malaysia) but we opted not to come back here both due to the fact there is nothing to do (unless you take a cab up to the Genting Highlands which will cost about 30 ringgits) and the fact it is completely in the opposite direction of the airport (which in itself is about 50 km from KL as it is.

The service was good as the employees did try hard, but overall I would not come back to this place. The owners really need to modernize or upgrade some of the facilities before I would come back. For people wanting to stay in this area, if you wanted complete isolation in the middle of a busy area, this is the place.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled with family
Genting Grand
Genting Grand
#3 of 11 in Genting Highlands
Colmar Tropicale, Berjaya Hills

Been to Genting View Resort? Share your experiences!