“Golfer resort...”

Awana Hotel
Ranked #5 of 10 Hotels in Genting Highlands
“Golfer resort...”
Reviewed 25 September 2013

located not far from the peak of genting highland. Calm and serene view of the lush green golf course with hilly background. A trip to amusement park at the genting theme park is easily arranged from the resort via shuttle or cable car..good retreat to rejuvenate as not that crowded as other resort or hotel nearby..

• Stayed September 2013
1 Thank mshahom

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (227)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Singapore, null, Singapore
Reviewed 25 September 2013

I had a terrible experience at AWANA Genting. I checked-in at 5pm and was given key to room. However, upon entering the room, I was greeted to a mess as it still had not been cleaned. When i called the front desk, my call was either hung up or transferred. I made my way down to the front desk to complain and was told bluntly that the fault is not theirs as the system should the room as ready. Eventually, my room was changed. After a couple of hours in the room, I realized the air conditioning was spoil. Housekeeping came up and then advised us to use the fan instead and change the room tomorrow. The incompetency and disengagement of the staff was shocking and saddening. Rooms were not well maintained. Food was substandard. Shuttle bus left before stipulated time and bus driver was clearing his throat and spitting though out the journey - a guttural sound that will disgust any normal person. I do not recommend staying at this resort. Its people, product and systems all fall short and leave you feeling as if you were in a a no frills budget accommodation.

Room Tip: Do not choose this hotel
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
5 Thank SPU27

Travellers are raving about these Genting Highlands hotels

Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 23 September 2013

This hotel has two sections , the main block is the hotel tower and the timeshare units are further inside and disconnected from the main building. The hotel unit is serviced and has regular housekeeping and room service , not the timeshare units though everyone could use the common facilities.

The 2BR unit we got from RCI was in the timeshare unit , no services were available from the hotel but had the advantages of being clean , well equipped with a full kitchen and even had a functional jacuzzi in the bathroom. Compared to other rooms available in the area we got this for next to free through RCI.

This hotel is not at the top of the mountain , it is at the halfway mark , but a regular free shuttle running once every hour takes you to the First World Hotel at the top in 20 minutes. And if you don't mind shelling out RM 6 for a cable car ride up the mountain you have another shuttle running every half hour taking you to the Skyway cable car lower station in less than 10 minutes.

Kuala Lumpur is just 45 minutes away on the hourly express bus service from the Skyway lower station. The fare is ridiculously cheap at RM 4.30 , it makes a lot of sense to stay at this resort and visit KL rather than stay in that hot humid hell of a city paying big bucks for a halfway decent aircon room! .

The golf course is very scenic , they allow non-players in after 6PM for a stroll. A very nice , pleasant walk. I don't know how good the course is for the players though.

The disadvantages are that the unit has no airconditioning which is required at the lower altitude but the absence may not be felt by many as the weather is pleasantly cool most of the year.

Room Tip: Ask for newly renovated rooms if booking through RCI. The old ones I heard can be pretty nasty.
Kuala Lumpur
Reviewed 23 September 2013

room was not clean, dirty carpet, somehow had the 80s look, well we did pay for better rooms elsewhere for the same cost, housekeeping response was slow in spite reminding them 3 times, breakfast okay not bad. Short drive to nearby Goh Tong area for more food options, dont rely on hotel food. luggage bellhop was good, staffs at reception was fast and friendly.

1 Thank Richard H
Reviewed 19 September 2013 via mobile

I was stayed here on April with my husband & my 2 little girls. We stayed during my daughter's birthday. We are so excited. That's our 1st time to stay in this hotel. We knew that Awana is a 4 star hotel & has many good reviews on Agoda or TripAdvisor.

I think I need to call to the hotel, to confirm my booking. We also putted some requests during our booking & I just want to make sure that everything will be fine.

A day before I came, I was told to a man in Front Office Department by phone, that I need a king size bed because I bring my 2 little girls & I want a high floor room. He said, "Ok", means that he committed with me. I also get an early check in because the occupancy was low on that day. Thanks by the way.

Check in time was smooth. Anyway, a girl who assisted me is a trainee, it shows in her name tag & I saw some seniors of GSA in the counter too. But they all same. They need some practice to smile & be nice. That's not a busy time, but they can't smile. However, as a good guest, I was tried to smile first.

The room was nice & comfortable. But... I got a 2 queen beds & the electric box's-small door can't close. That's a bit annoying. So I was calling to the reception to telling my problems. I'm not angry yet.

About the electric box's-small door, 2 of house keeping staffs came to help. They put a small paper to close that small door & I think it's fine. They are very nice & I loves their smiles. I also proud of the house keeping staffs. The hotel & the room looks so clean. Excellent.

About the 2 queen size beds, the reception told me that they don't have any king size bed on this room category. I was shocked enough. Because I was calling to the hotel a day before, they committed to give me a king size bed. If they really don't have a king size bed on this room category, how can they committed with me by phone, a day before !

I'm not a fussy guest. I never insult any one of them. I'm an hotelier & my husband too. So we tried to understand. But sure, we are disappointed. If you can't give, don't committed to the guest.

Besides the excellent house keeping staffs, they have a delicious Nasi Lemak & Rendang Chicken. Usually, I don't like a hotel made Nasi Lemak. Good job to the Chef.

• Stayed April 2013
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed 17 September 2013

I have stayed here many times in the past. But this time, it is a bit dissapointing, because the Korean restaurant is not there anymore. The food at Rajawali restaurant is typical hotel which is not special enough. The Genting Highland outdoor Theme Park is not in operation since 1 September 2013, due to the plan to introduce first Century Fox Twentieth Theme park that is planned to be completed by 2016. Overall, it was a quiet trip at Genting Highland, not as crowded as usual

Room Tip: Most rooms are with 2 queen beds, request for non-smoking, other floor smell smoke strongly.
Reviewed 16 September 2013

This is the worse hotel you can imagine. It is so old and dirty, the carpet smells and all else is rusty until it gives you an allergy because the rooms are old and not aerated sufficiently. There was leaking on the floor our appt was in and we have taken pics of that. We booked for a 2 night stay and we checked out just after one night and no refund was given since we booked through expedia. We didnt care, we just wanted to escape from this aweful place, what a bad experience for a first time visitor to genting. I dont believe the good reviews and the rating of this hotel, its a scam. This place is now for gamblers since this is what they care for. Genting is built now for gamblers coming from china thats it, it is not made for other expat visitors unfortunately. The hotel need serious refurbishment and total face lifting,its time for owners to spend some money on it which i doubt, as long as chinese gamblers keep on coming. What a waste!

• Stayed September 2013
#2 of 10 in Genting Highlands
Maxims
Maxims
#6 of 10 in Genting Highlands

Been to Awana Hotel? Share your experiences!