“Basic room with good location”

Resort Hotel Genting Highlands
Ranked #2 of 10 Hotels in Genting Highlands
Reviewed 8 April 2014

We were there for a 3D2N stay. Basic room but nearby the theme parks and casino.
Thanks to the cool temperature in Genting Highlands, the room is always pleasantly cold and nice.

Expect to have long waiting time to check-in during weekends and public holidays.

A good break from Singapore's hot humid weather!

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 7 April 2014

Made a road trip to Genting Highlands after more than a decade (when I was a kid), stayed in Resort hotel for a night and off we went to Kuala Lumpur. Honestly, if you are not there to gamble, don't bother heading up there. It's cool there and whatever shops you can find in Genting, you can find more in Kuala Lumpur.

Anyway, back to the hotel room - it's a basic hotel (but I heard that it's better than First World Hotel), without air conditioning (since the weather is cool all-year round) and needs a refresh soon but it's okay for a one night's stay just to check out what Genting Highlands is about.

The bed is not very comfortable and everything else in the room is average. There is a separate shower stall with a rainshower (which i didnt use because it's rusty) in the bathroom which is of a decent size. The first shower I took was fine but when I showered in the morning the day after, there was an issue with the water temperature - it was icy cold! No matter how i tried to adjust, it just didnt work. The water pressure kept changing and it was a torture to shower in ice cold and unstable water pressure conditions! My friends staying a few doors down faced the same issue.

All in all a not-so-great experience at this hotel or at Genting Highlands. The hotel needs a refresh.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 28 March 2014

The best part about genting is its vicinity to KL.Its a lovely small little hill station for the Malaysian locals with chilling weather throughout all seasons.There a quite few hotels in genting & yes they are all really big properties.My cousin had booked this for me & my family as we were on a holiday to genting,Ohh man the moment we entered the hotel it was like a supermarket with lots of people waiting at the reception ,lots many walking here n there don't know why and lots many standing at the reception to get their rooms.It was indeed a confused and messy scene but very well managed by the hotel team.We got a higher floor room with some open views from the window,room was spacious with a very clean bathroom.The hotel complex is literally a maze with very intricate underground tunnels below the hotel complex connecting many other avenues.The hotel has its own huge eating joints and casino area with lots many people in them.This property is supposedly the best in entire of genting.Overall it was a memorable vacation for me & my family at resort hotel genting highlands & a big thanks to my cousin for booking this property for us.Highly recommended.

Room Tip: Choose a higher floor room for the decent views
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 27 March 2014

It is not often that one, who is a non-gambler, gets invited to stay at the Resort Hotel, Genting Highland for free. A friend had some rooms to spare and kindly extended that invitation to me; it was an offer I could not refuse.

It had been more than 2 decades since my last vacation at Genting Highlands, so I absolutely had no inkling of what to expect as far as the standards of the rooms goes, except that they, from my friend's perspective, were 'nice'. The Resort World Hotel is classified as a 4.5 star hotel - the ambience of the reception does reflect the 'standard' of such a rating, comparable to quite a number of other hotels with four stars or higher ratings that I had stayed in. Checking-in was a breeze, perhaps because we had arrived quite early in the morning before the 'crowd' period of the afternoon. However, we were not able to access our rooms till after 2 pm.

As requested, we were given two, non-smoking, connecting Superior rooms, and to our relief, there were no residual tobacco smell in the rooms, contrary to what we had often experienced in some other hotels. Perhaps we were lucky or perhaps the management of this hotel had found some way to keep it smoke-free; if only hotel managements can somehow enforce that simple restriction more effectively!

The rooms were spacious with a king size bed in one and twin singles in the other room. Standard features include a 32 inch LCD television, electric kettle, electronic safe security box and a mini-refrigerator. There is no air-conditioning in view of the cool climate of the Highlands (it was a comfortable 24 degrees). In its place, there is a ceiling fan that does provide a cool respite to those who are naturally 'hot' under the collar.

The bathroom has the standard shower stall with a shower hose as well as an overhead rain-shower - for those who love to have a good soak in the bath-tub at the end of a long day, they would have to make-do with the rain shower. A feature not commonly found in other hotels is the dual access to the wardrobe from inside of the bathroom as well as from the room. Most people would find this discomforting but for me, I find it very useful indeed.

The beds were firm but comfortable and the sheets are clean. Personally, I find the pillows a tad too soft for my liking, but then, that's a personal preference. The carpet was generally stained from use although it doesn't feel 'mushy' when walked on with your bare feet. It could do with a good steam clean and it would be as good as new.

Overall, the rooms were decent when viewed in terms of the rates that it charges for the rooms, considering that I am quite an easy guest to please, however, I had a small gripe about the rooms that would put some other more 'demanding' guests off; the rooms in which we stayed in were surrounded by other buildings, depriving us of the beautiful views of the highlands that would otherwise be available for our enjoyment. In addition, a few stories below, were several exhaust fan units which created a constant 'humm' and 'buzz' sound that could be quite annoying even when the windows were shut tight. Light sleepers should take note and ensure that they are not assigned rooms in the right wing of the hotel.

If one is prepared to pay more than RM300 per night for a reasonably good hotel room, I would recommend the Resort World Hotel - provided the room is in the left wing. If it is free, that's another story.

Room Tip: Don't stay in the right wing if you are sensitive to noise
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Cotton2012_13
Reviewed 6 March 2014

There are a few hotels belonging to the GENTING GROUP in Malaysia. All the hotels are clustering at the highlands about 6000m above sea level. Of these, The Resort Hotel seems to be the best of value. This hotel has been renovated. The rooms are of good size; unlike The First World hotel, where the standard room is so limited in space, one can hardly move! There is a newly renovated restaurant , RESORT SEAFOOD, at the first level. This hotel is connected to the various casinos and other entertainment areas; and have frequent free shuttle bus service to-fro FIRST WORLD HOTEL. At level 5 basement, there are few economical food outlets, lottery outlet, bus office, small sundry store. The hotel staff are very friendly and helpful.

Room Tip: Try to get a room on the high floor, looking into Kuala Lumpur. The night view of the city with the...
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank 313globetrotter
Reviewed 6 March 2014

We come to this hotel for our christmas holiday. This hotel actually supose to be better than first world, according to my opinion apart from far location from bus terminal.

The receptionist is very efficient during check in and check out time..

Hotel from lobby, room, bathroom etc is ok. quite acceptable

I just not really happy when ask for hot water for my baby milk the staff come and bring the hot water in plastic container. I really sure that one not BPA free and not safe for baby. Further they give me completely new electric kettle that sooo damn smelly.. huft.. I ask my husband go to the coffee bean downstair and further dissapointment come when my husband buy a cup of coffe and ask the staff to refill my baby bottle with hot water and the staff say "actually we didn't provide this service but since you buy coffee already, so ok.." what kind of service given.. a total dissapointment..

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 31 January 2014

Book this hotel with grassland express ( Singapore) for a 3D2N vacation and did not really expect it to excel in any areas, as there was literally no attraction at Genting as almost everything is under renovation ( over exaggerated, maybe?) , for the up and coming theme park.

However, to my pleasant surprise, this hotel was service and accommodation was beyond what I have expected. Lobby was clean and welcoming with many color spectrum light tubing hanging down from the ceiling. Hotel staff were courteous and helpful while helping us to check in. Daily English newspapers supplied daily to our doorstep along with a replenished pantry compliments.

Rooms were spacious and elegantly decorated,with many television channel being aired.

Negative side of this hotel was that the view look into the corridor of Genitng Grand, while the bottom was just the roof of the linking bridge to the other hotels. Beds were hard (asian standards) so do not expected a comfortable nights rest, if you value a quality slumber. Location of the hotel are way off the main attraction, in which, require you to do some walking if you want to do some sight seeing or take part in some activities other than gambling.

Room Tip: Ask fora high floor and a outward looking view, if you want to make the best out of your stay here.
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
Colmar Tropicale, Berjaya Hills
Awana Hotel
Awana Hotel
#7 of 10 in Genting Highlands

Been to Resort Hotel Genting Highlands? Share your experiences!