“Must try harder.”

Sifawy Boutique Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in As Sifah
Reviewed 30 December 2012

My wife has already put a review of our stay at this hotel. It was very thorough. I am writing this to back up everthing that she wrote with photographs.

photo 1- The rice, as can be seen was grey and very dry on top. It was a glutinous mess.

photo 2- This is the "Hammour fillet crusted with almond flakes" Though from the texture it could be seen to be fish, in fact it tasted nothing like Hammour and was soggy.

photo 2- "Roasted" vegetables swimming in oil.

photo 4- what was this? Polenta was the description, I personally have never seen it served like this.

photo 5/6 prepared dishes loooked ok, but not too sure about the unchilled chicken meat.

photo 7- These starters, though looking tempting, left one wondering what some of them were. Lack of labelling here.

photo 8- even worse lack of labelling here. No account seems to have been taken as to whether guests should be informed - not only to what some of the dishes were, but also what they contained.

photo 9- Though these to meat bowls were set into a chilled base, the colour of the top layer of chicken did not encourage me to eat any of it. The beef bacon wrapped sausages might have tasted nice if cooked and served fresh. Howver when I asked for one, the attendant served one of those that can be seen on the griddle, it was tough, rubbery and inedible.

I should add here that we have been working in Oman for eight years and have stayed in many other hotels in the Sultanate. There are far more 3-4 star establioshments that offer finer fare than the Jebel Safawiy Hotel.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Denjames
Daniel F, General Manager at Sifawy Boutique Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 21 January 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your feedback.

Please know that I have shared your comments with our Executive Chef and Kitchen Team to better understand what and how it went wrong. Generally, as is reflected on the other reviews, our food is normally regarded as exceptional and I regret that you & your wife did not have a pleasant experience with us.

I completely agree and sympathize that a lack of labeling can be frustrating and this will be immediately rectified.

I would be grateful if you could get in touch with me directly on info@sifawyhotel.com so that I may get a first hand review of your experience with us.
Once again, many thanks for sharing your feedback and I look forward to hearing from you.

Sincerely yours,

Daniel Fanselow

Reviewed 27 December 2012

It took us half an hour to check in, and the staff speak very poor English, although they are friendly. The room wasn't ready when we were given our keym so we had to wait outside for 20 minutes while they stripped beds and mopped floors. The design of the hotel means that it is very noisy - dark, echoing corridors, poorly lit, behind rooms which overlook the pool with its piped music. It is a cement barrack block with pretensions. The pool is nice, but noisy, often full of even noisier children, and in high season (Dec-March) many of the (few) sunbeds are in shade all afternoon. In the rooms, the beds are comfortable, but the ACs are so noisy, that it is impossible to watch TV and have the AC on. At night, it is a choice of getting hot or being kept awake by the AC. The area is full of mosquitos, so sitting out in the evening isn't an option unless you are covered up - or covered in repellent. The hotel claims to spray the beds around the pool area at 6am every morning, but that didn't happen while we were there. The worst part is probably the food. They had buffet only: good salads, but the main meal was watery fish, grilled vegetables saturated in oil, soggy polenta, starchy, clumped rice and slices of potato. The deserts were even worse, with melon that was impossible to cut it was so dry: quite a trick for melon. The cost? 36 OR. Breakfasts were average, but for a high end hotel (or prices that are) it served instant coffee and the selection of breakfast goods was poor. Room service is available, but with a very limited choice and there are tea and coffee making facilities in the room. However, if you do stay, take your own. They supply 2 breakfast teas and one sachet of nescafe. If you ask for another, the charge is 1.4 OR. The hotel offers Wifi for 5 OR for 24 hours, but that is per person. If two of you want to use a laptop or tablet, you pay twice. The bathrooms were good, but ours had a leak so I took a slip, and my husband cut his foot on the door of the cupboard which was very sharp. All in all, it is noisy, overpriced and poor quality. I would not recommend it (unless I really didn't like you!)

Room Tip: Top floo.r - away from the music
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank NizwaJill

Dear Guest,

Many thanks for sharing your feedback.

Please know that I have read & shared your feedback with the team at the Hotel and we are already beginning to address most of the issues which you have raised.

Indeed, the design of the building is based on traditional Omani architecture, with a central courtyard feature, which is actually the pool deck, and all rooms overlook this courtyard. This is usually well received by our guests, however I can understand the inconvenience if there are many children, like during the school holidays for example.

The matter of the air-conditioning is an ongoing issue and has been a recurring comment on most reviews. You will be pleased to know that we have already begun addressing this by adding additional insulation and sound-absorption units to reduce the noise level drastically. This is already an ongoing project and will be completed in all rooms by the end of April 2013.

I regret the comments you have made about the food; I have shared these with our Executive Chef for immediate action. I believe your husband posted a similar review which includes the same comments about the food buffet.

I am also pleased to inform you that we will soon be offering FREE Wi-Fi to all our in-house guests. This is an initiative which I have personally been driving which will undoubtedly bring an added-value to our guests.

Once again, I do appreciate your constructive feedback and hope that we will have an opportunity to host you again in the future.

Sincerely yours,

Daniel Fanselow

Reviewed 23 November 2012

We just spent four nights and are full of praise, although there are one or two slight downsides.

The hotel is a beautiful building around a lovely pool. Very intimate and friendly with helpful staff and great service. The rooms are luxurious, particularly the suites. If you want a quiet, stylish spot to chill, nothing much could beat this. It is located in a remote area to the south of Muscat - the 1 hr drive is spectacular. The marina and surrounding resort are also wonderful but since the resort is new and only just getting going, there is a lack of atmosphere at present. If the resort gets busier, the hotel could be less of a retreat but the plus side would be an increase in amenities, of which there are few on the doorstep. At present there is only one restaurant so the choice is limited and alcohol expensive, but all is reasonable value for Oman.

The lovely, little-used private beach is a short walk along the marina or a shorter ride in a golf buggy. The beach boy is very helpful. The beach is rocky at low tide so best to wear swimming shoes. Lots of fish can be found on the point of the marina - rays, guitarfish, grouper, clownfish and huge shoals of other species. Turtles too apparently.

We wanted a quiet, quality hotel with good sea swimming - exactly what we got.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank MarineBoy60
Reviewed 22 November 2012

i went there in the late afternoon for a coffee, it was a nice ride though the mountain to tea the resort. very quite atmosphere . few people. the prices are of those high end resorts. i would suggest to go there but try to be with a big group otherwise u wont find a company there !

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 20 November 2012

My wife and I much enjoyed our 2-day stay in Sifawy, after a 1-week round trip around Muscat.
The place is nice and quiet, the staff is friendly and helpful, the food is excellent and the standard of accomodation quite nice. Overall, an agreable and relaxing experience.
The hotel is far away from the city, and the area is still in development: so the location is not an ideal base for visiting Muscat, and it is not (yet?) an ideal place for shopping or busy night life, but I much recommend it for a few days rest enjoying the pool side and the restaurant.
Note: There is a nice, well attended sand beach 10 mins walk away from the hotel (1 min with the free shuttle), but sea bathing is not easy as the seabed is covered with pebbles brought by the currents and with urchins.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 19 November 2012

We loved staying at the Sifawy. We chose the hotel for it's remoteness after a few days touring around Oman - it was quiet, allowed us to relax and offered great food & service. Oman is newly developing & building up (which can be good or bad depending on how you see it) so there is only one road in and out of the area. Additionally, we arrogantly assumed "we must be able to find a road from As Sifah to Sur!" Not true. Absolutely recommend renting a car and you have to drive via Muscat on the one developed road to get to and from the hotel. Don't let this put you off, just plan your trip accordingly. The service was great, the food was nice and the curvy, windy road on the way in is quite a fun & exciting ride! I think in the next 5 years this development will be booming so I recommend going before they put tons of roads in and it becomes over run with tourists.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Katie S
Reviewed 2 November 2012

Yes, this hotel is in a brand new development so things will change. Currently I would recommend it for people who want to get away from it all! think hammocks on a white beach, an elegant pool and a sophisticated harbour area. I would advise a rental car, the drive down is pleasant and ok to navigate and you will want it for day excursions (there are plenty in the area and not that far away). we went during eid so more was put on at the location than normally is available, but the location is superb. we really enjoyed going out for jogs in the morning and seeing the wildlife. the restaurant is ok but room service/ poolside menu was better. breakfast was decent. the rooms were lovely, and any problems we had were adequately resolved. staff were very friendly as were local people. local snorkeling is amazing (we saw a moray eel, turtles and lots of colourful fish), there is plenty of other water and land activities arranged through the hotel. i will be going back.

Room Tip: pool side ground floor double room. balcony opens right up onto the pool. best place to have a mea...
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
Al Bustan Palace, A Ritz-Carlton Hotel
Qurum Beach Hotel
Qurum Beach Hotel
#40 of 61 in Muscat

Been to Sifawy Boutique Hotel? Share your experiences!