We visited the Jacaranda on a family holiday in July 2014. On the plus side, the hotel has excellent facilities and staff: it has several swimming pools, a very nice beach, the food is great, it's very clean, everyone is very helpful, and the quality of the entertainment etc is high. It is also well located for safaris meaning that you can combine beach, sun and safari.
But there are also negatives. It is hard to move freely on the beach because of "beach boys", many of whom are nice but there are so many of them that it becomes a nuisance. The beach is beautiful for walks at low tides but not ideal for swimming at high tide. The hotel caters mainly for Italians and other nationalities may want to look otherwise. The hotel promises to have wifi - which is true - but coverage is low and unreliable. As such this is not a problem unless you rely on having internet access. We had a "superior room" with a balcony overlooking the sea. The room was large but quite dark and I am not sure it was worth the extra spend.
One thing that we all found disturbing was an outing to the school founded by the Jacaranda resort. The school is admirable catering for 500 local kids. However, us (the tourists) were told to bring pens and paper (both good with us) or candy. Bringing candy seems idiotic when the school is lacking basic facilities such as tables and chairs and when you realize that some kids refrain from going to school because they get more candy from tourists if they wait for tourists outside the resort.
I would return to the Jacaranda but I think the resort could and should improve.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Facing the most beautiful sea area on Marine Park of Watamu the all sea view 90 rooms are the perfect buen retiro to spend holidays in the real wildness and comfort all together. All inclusive board, soft animation activity, multilingual staff, Italian and Swahili cuisine will make your stay unforgettable. Just 2 hours by road from Mombasa and 30 minutes from Malindi airport, from where we can provide transfer service. In-house travel agency for safari and any kind of excursions. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com, Booking.com, TripOnline SA, Ebookers, HotelsClick, Evoline ltd and 5viajes2012 S.L. so you can book your Jacaranda Beach Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Jacaranda Beach Hotel Watamu
- Jacaranda Beach Resort All Inclusive
- Jacaranda Beach Resort Kenya/Watamu