“Brilliant, professional and wonderful dives!”
Review of Aqua Ventures

Aqua Ventures
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: Aqua Ventures is an owner operated company established in Watamu in January 1990. Steve and Helen Curtis, the proud owners of the company, have successfully managed Aqua Ventures and moulded it into what is considered one of Kenya's leading dive centres. Steve an ex-military diver from Zimbabwe has been diving in Kenya since 1982. Helen, Kenyan by birth, has been diving since 1989. Watamu, being the first established Marine Park and reserve in Kenya, with its superior underwater topography and uncluttered beaches made it the natural location for Steve and Helen to start their business. From humble beginnings at the Ocean Sports Resort, Aqua Ventures operates three diving boats and has a well equipped diving centre with 3 compressors and over 50 sets of well maintained diving equipment.
Useful Information: Bathroom facilities, Lockers / storage, Activities for older children, Food available for purchase
Reviewed 23 January 2014

I am a dive instructor and decided in my time off to go diving obviously! My friend recommended Aqua Ventures so I came with my student/friend for 2 dives with Steve. We had a brilliant day, he is very professional and thorough with a detailed dive briefing so we all knew the plan...the boat is great, equipment very well looked after (great wetsuits, good for me as I always get cold!) We had 2 brilliant dives, some pretty pink leaf fish, scorpion fish, crocodile fish, octopus, HUGE Titan Trigger (left us alone), honeycomb moray etc etc I could go on! Steve looked after us but also gave us the freedom we wanted so it was perfect! Would definitely recommend and will dive there again, thanks Steve and everyone at Aqua Ventures, Shelley :D

Reviewed 20 January 2014 via mobile

We came to Kenya to do volunteering work in Nairobi and decided to travel to watamu specifically to dive. I contacted aqua ventures and after a few polite email exchanges and a phone call I booked two dives. I confirmed my dives the night before via email and was ready and excited to dive. We woke up at 6:30, had breakfast and took the tuk tuk (because they couldn't pick us up from the hotel) to the aqua ventures office just to learn that there was a strike and we couldn't even snorkel or go in the water at all. Now I understand this is not aqua ventures fault, but I can't believe we weren't given a heads up or a short email saving us the trip and the early wake up call.

Anyway, I don't understand why it's so difficult to let your clients know that there won't be any diving. Pretty unprofessional. I probably won't be diving with them in the future. Hope you sort the problem out.

Helen C, Owner at Aqua Ventures, responded to this reviewResponded 24 January 2014

Dear Giovanni,
In response to your comments - we are sorry you were so inconvenienced but believe us we were also taken by surprise.This Strike was nothing to do with us but the local boat operators were stopping people from using the park/reserve until their demands were met. We had it in writing from the Local Boat Operators that the strike would be over on sunday and we could resume business on monday - which is why I asked you to dive on Monday - not sunday as per your original request. We received a message at midnight telling us not to go into the park or the boat operators would resort to violence. We were therefore also surprised at the last minute and were unable to warn any of our clients that the dive had to be cancelled.

Reviewed 3 November 2013

Steve, Sian, Helen and Dom very professional and extremely relaxed and friendly. Sian was very welcoming, and gave me loads of tips as to what I should be doing when not diving.

They insisted on a pool refresher as it was a while since I had dived - and it was the most thorough refresher I had ever had. Steve's dive brief was an example as to how things should be done - and rarely is. Even the rest between dives include plenty of biscuits and fruit.

The diving was excellent, turtles, mantas and my first ever whale shark and they were (almost) as excited as I was.

Reviewed 29 October 2013

I have just completed my PADI Advanced Open Water with Aqua Ventures Located in Watamu, Kenya. The scuba school is a family ran business with dive instructor Steve Curtis heading the team. As soon as I met Steve and his team it was apparent that they were very passionate about the diving school and what benefits I could gain from them. Hellen and Sian where the other dive instructors who carried out classes and again they made us feel at home and comfortable in and out of the water.
The course was ran very professionally this making for easy learning. Steve has over 9000 dives all around the world and was a master at his trade, he made me feel very comfortable even when when doing deep dives.
I would recommend this dive school as a must for anyone looking to dive as it out shines all other dive schools in the area. I will be back here to do more excellent diving on my next visit to Kenya.

Reviewed 3 September 2013

I have dived with Helen and Steve at Aqua Ventures a number of times now and will continue to bring friends to learn and enjoy the experience as well. The staff are very thorough, friendly and extremely knowledgable on the local marine life. I wouldn't dive with anyone else in Kenya :)