Hemingways Watamu
Sun Palm Beach Resort(Watamu)(Great Value!)
US$80
US$160
Medina Palms(Watamu)
  • Pool
  • Breakfast included
All reviewsfishchef omarol sekif b managersatao campindian oceanmalindi airportdhow tripwahootunakenyan coasta la carte menucoral gardensspent a weekeaster weekendhalf boardpool staff
Reviewed 16 August 2011

Fantastic from the moment they picked us up at the airport with free drinks and a cool flannel to freshen up; to the amazing Dhow trip; the excellent food and drink; the lovely pool and great attendants; to the beautiful room, view and location.

A shame about the seaweed on the beach but its just the time of year, not much they can do.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Jp445
Reviewed 29 July 2011

Probably the best resort in Watamu, the rooms were really lovely, modern spaces. Each had a balcony facing the ocean and the bathroom had a huge bathtub and shower. (one complaint was that usually only one would have really HOT water, but the lukewarm shower didn't bother me).

The pool was quite nice and the gym had a good selection of cardio machines. The rate included breakfast and dinner-- food wasnt bad at all, but nothing special either.

I enjoyed the spa services, got an excellent pedicure and decent massage. Also went snorkeling - which was nice that it was included in the rate.

I was there during off season so it was pretty quiet. The resort is far from town (for walking at least), but I get the sense you probably need to go to Diani to find action at night.

Overall I had a very chill, relaxing weekend - which is exactly what I was looking for!

• Stayed: June 2011
Reviewed 20 July 2011

The last leg of my journey took me down a gravel track lined with bouganvillia. And there it was, the entrance to Hemingways hotel framed in a colouful array of local plants, I was met by bunch of smiling faces all eager to take my luggage . Standing at reception , drinking a fresh lime juice,and wiping my face with an ice cold menthol flannel provided took me back twenty three years to the first time i stood here and looked out at the most fabulous view anywhere in the world , i knew instantly thet this would be the place and 23 years on i arrived for my annual fix of big-game fishing, the view was the same except for the addition of a few more boats,but there i was back in my second home , for this is how it makes you feel..That's why a large percentage of clients return year after year,not only for the fishing but for the fantastic hostpitality afforded to each and everyone.
A perfect base from which to safari, sightsee, birdwatch, or just to relax and unwind. No request ,no matter how unnusual or difficult it may seem ,you get the stock answer, accompanied by a friendly smile ( HAKUNA MATATA) Swahili for no problem and the probem goes away.
To sum up - the best there is, well not quite ,because Hemingways has just been voted THE SECOND BEST HOTEL IN AFRICA.

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled solo
Reviewed 4 July 2011

Hemingways Resort Watamu exceeded my expectations.
The customer service was excellent. From the time I made a call to make reservations to the time we left I felt I was in a home away from home.
The hotel has a fantastic view of the ocean.
The room was more than I had expected. It looked even better than in the photos. It was spacious and clearly well thought out.
The bathroom was also large, well lit and very well arranged, with all that you would need during your stay there.
The food in the restaurant was well prepared. Breaksfast had a wide selection and they have thought of every possible traveller. Lunch as well as dinner have good presentation and a decent selection. Dinner is served with a gentle breeze from the ocean keeping the air in the restaurant fresh at just the right temperature.
Hemingways has a host of activities to keep on busy. From the boat trips to the marine park, dhow trips to mida creek, shopping trips to malindi (with a guide to show you all the best spots).
I had a brief stay but will be back to stay for a longer period and get to experience all that the hotel has to offer.
There are two pools that are all kept very clean and attended to by a very friendly attendant that ensured you had all that you may need.
There was definetly value for money at Hemingways. I would recommend staying at the hotel.
To sum it all up in one word, Awesome!!

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 13 April 2011

We stayed at this hotel in early January after a safari. It was wonderful to return to civilisation following a few nights ina tented camp. Our room overlooked the beautiful white sand beach of Watamu and the Indian Ocean, very comfortable and black out curtains ensured a good nights sleep. We had been wanting to stay at this hotel for sometime and we were not disappointed. Staff extremely friendly and helpful, food very good as is afternoon tea. Aside from the hotel the beach is simply beautiful. If you are going to Watamu and want to be directly on the beach I dont think you can do better. Inclusion of breakfast and afternoon tea makes this good value. Easy to see why there are so many return guests.

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled as a couple