“A Touch of Paradise”
Review of Hemingways Watamu

Hemingways Watamu
Ranked #20 of 26 Hotels in Watamu
Reviewed 23 February 2013

I have recently returned from my second visit to the outstanding Hemingways Resort, Watamu. The first time I visited in October 2011, I was impressed by the staff, food, attention to detail and general ambience of the whole place; understated elegance, unpretentious and a sheer delight to experience. This time round I was not disappointed, in fact I think it was even better! I was lucky enough to be in one of the Resort's suites which had recently been refurbished and I could not fault the room; comfortable, spacious, with fresh flowers and the best bathroom toiletries I have ever used, and plenty of them! Hemingways is right on the Indian Ocean and whilst I enjoyed using the pool, who could resist regular dips in the incredibly warm and inviting Ocean. The beach was virtually empty and the sand white and sparkling. I also went on a snorkelling trip over the reef arranged by the Resort, which also did not disappoint with a whole range of tropical fish and stunning corals, including giant clams sighted. The quality of food is outstanding; a delicious and varied buffet breakfast and each evening a sumptuous feast on the terrace, under the stars. There is something to suit all tastes, with signature fish dishes being my favourite, served with delicious salads. Fresh flowers mainly stunning roses and lilies, adorn every area of the resort. The staff have to be commended for their civility and care, nothing is too much trouble. A visit to the Beauty Salon is a must, I had the best pedicure ever! So would I return? Without doubt, in fact I am already planning a return next year, as Hemingways Watamu has become a 'home from home' and whether I go there with friends or alone, I know I will be assured of a warm welcome, kindness and a little respite from my hectic life.

Room Tip: Most of the rooms have views of the Ocean, make sure you get one of these. I prefer the first or se...
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank PennWinchester
There are newer reviews for Hemingways Watamu

Reviewed 22 February 2013

Hemingways does keep up with the name. Excellent property .The beach lives up to the standards, clean with clear crystal blue waters. Very impressed overall. The staff is over friendly and made our stay in Paradise even better.
rooms on the north wing need a little renovations to match the rooms on the south wing.
Keep up with the good work!

Room Tip: Rooms on the south wings are new plus direct view to the beach. The beach beds are located on the do...
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 6 February 2013

During a recent work trip to Kenya I took a weekend off to stay at Hemingways in Watamu. It was everything it promised to be, the location was stunning, the beaches are amazing, the hotel had such a lovely atmosphere that made you feel at home and very welcome. The staff were very friendly always there when you needed them, and never imposed when they didnt have to.

I would go back there time and time again, it is truly just a beautiful place to be.

Room Tip: You have to go for a sea view room, to stay there and not have the sight of the sea from your bedroo...
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled on business
2  Thank Stephen_Alan_Harvey
Reviewed 5 February 2013

Set on a wonderful beach in a stunning unspoilt part of the world, Hemingways is a total gem.
And the best thing - They keep their drink prices really reasonable!! $1.25 for a great local Dawa cocktail!
The food is superb, fresh and local, and the fishing is beyond belief - truly a great area to fish, with great captains that know where the Marlin and Sailfish are.
Can't wait to get back. A special mention to Hassan at the pool, George on reception and Mohammed who looked after us for a few dinners!

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled with family
Hemingways C, Director of Sales at Hemingways Watamu, responded to this reviewResponded 18 February 2013

Dear Nickm007,

It was great having you and your wife at Hemingways as well! Thank you so much for the kind remarks. We are glad we made a lasting impression, and made your holiday a lasting memory.

I have shared your kind remarks with the George, Hassan and Mohammed and they are happy they met your expectations.

We look forward to hosting you again soon, and this time round, not only to Hemingways Watamu but also to Hemingways Nairobi, our 45 all suite boutique hotel in Karen area, Nairobi and Ol Seki Hemingways Mara, our 10 tents camp in the private Naboisho Conservancy.

Reviewed 25 January 2013

I Stayed at the Hemingways Resort in Watamu, from the 9th to 16th December with my wife. First of all Watamu itself is a breathtakingly beautiful place, the hotel is situated right at the beach, and from arrival you are welcomed warmly by the hotel staff at reception. Check-in was straight forward and quite quick. The hotel are amazing and it's worth it to take one of the 'superior rooms' as they are facing the beach.
The rooms were excellent, staff really friendly and helpful. Each evening the hotel organised different menu's/food which was really good, they have an amazing chef, and the evening entertainment was really enjoyable. This hands down has to be one of the most relaxing and memorable vacations I have taken in a while.

Room Tip: Make sure to get the 'superior rooms' that a beach facing.
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Rmwanga

Dear Rmwanga,

I have shared your kind remarks with the chef and the entire team and they are happy they met your expectations.

Reviewed 20 January 2013

This hotel is at a very high standard. The rooms are lovely with excellent views. The food was more than memorable - an excellent menu, beautifully presented and delicious. The hotel facilitates interesting excisions. It is a great place to stay.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled with friends

Dear Kate,

It was great having you at Hemingways as well! Thank you so much for the kind remarks. We are glad we made a lasting impression, and made your holiday a lasting memory.

Reviewed 6 January 2013

This was my first time staying here. Stayed for a few days with my friend and we both agree that this hotel is definitely the best we've been to at the coast. Excellent service, great activities and very friendly people. The beach is magnificent and the view from our room was lovely. We will definitely be back soon.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled with friends
Hemingways C, Director of Sales at Hemingways Watamu, responded to this reviewResponded 21 January 2013

Dear Janet,

We look forward to hosting you and your friends again soon, and this time round, not only to Hemingways Watamu but also to Hemingways Nairobi, our 45 all suite boutique hotel in Karen area, Nairobi and Ol Seki Hemingways Mara, our 10 tents camp in the private Naboisho Conservancy.

Have a prosperous 2013!!