“The best holiday experience imaginable”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Hemingways Watamu

Hemingways Watamu
Ranked #19 of 26 Hotels in Watamu
Peterborough, United Kingdom
“The best holiday experience imaginable”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 April 2013

We have just spent a wonderful Easter at hemingways, enjoying every moment, made so special by the extremely friendly, but professional and efficient staff. Perfect for couples, families and weddings alike as the staff treat every guest experience with individual care. The experience was made perfect by the top notch cuisine, some evenings lavish themed buffets, other nights intimate dinners, always looking out to sea. Omar, the executive chef is talented and charismatic -Move over Gordon Ramsey! Omar's chips are even better than Gordon's served at his Maze restaurant in London. It's no wonder so many visitors return to hemingways.

Thanks for another amazing holiday.

Adrian and Carol

• Stayed March 2013

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (64)
Nairobi, Kenya
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 April 2013

Around 15 of us stayed at Hemingways over the Easter Weekend. It was a great experience, rooms were in excellent condition, the swimming pool water temp was just right, food was good especially the sea food and waiters were always smiling and happy to help and NOT racist unlike other Kenyan beach resorts.
We truly appreciated the personalised service which Jeff & OM & Omar & Shutu gave us during our stay, we have never come Kenyan across resorts where the senior staff give such personal service. We Highly recommend Hemingways!

Room Tip: All the rooms are sea facing, the rooms to the left of the main bar are much quieter.
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled with friends
Miami, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 March 2013

I loved this hotel and its staff. The beach is beautiful, the food is great, rooms are excellent, and the staff is amazing. I fished for 5 days and caught marlin, sailfish, mahi-mahi, wahoo, and snapper. I went on safari for 3 days and it was all arranged thru the hotel. Special thanks to the Hemingway Resort staff for the trip of a lifetime including Hudson, our guide, Captain Jackson and Captain Stewart and their crews, Chef Omar who cooked our fish and gave us wonderful food and Agnes who was always helpful. Garry Cullen, the managing director, somehow finds the time to make sure each guest has a " trip of a lifetime." I can't wait to go back next year.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with friends
4 Thank FrankR821
Nairobi
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 March 2013

We have just returned from Hemingways and I must say it was a truly relaxing experience. We had a deluxe room on the far end of the north wing which probably has the best view and is closest to the beach, although all rooms face the ocean. There is no TV and cellphones are to be on silent with designated areas where you can use them, there is a tv on one side of the bar and I can honestly say it was never on while I was there. The beach is pristine white and it is well worth it to go with one of the locals when the tide is out to see the eels, clownfish and more, they fiercely protect the area as it is their livlihood. Snorkeling great in the reserve closeby, food excellent staff attentive and watching fishing boats come in with their catch very interesting. Will be back!!

• Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
Stockholm, Sweden
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 March 2013

This is how I remember South-East Asia 25 years ago. White sand, sun and blue sea. No vendors or sunbeds or umbrellas on the beach. Just the sea, the sun and the sand. A marine park great for snorkling five minutes away and just outside the hotel you could see clownfish (and murenas). The hotel is well maintained. We stayed with half board that included afternoon tea which was a nice treat in the afternoon. The kids loved the pools. Breakfast buffet OK, dinner mixed quality. One evening we had a great mexican buffet, the other evening a set menu with dry duck meat.The best food was actually the lunch by the pool that was not included in the price. All in all this was a great experience. We combined this stay on the beach with three nights in the Masai Mara Ol seki Hemingways and that was the ultimate combo that we can really recommend.

Room Tip: All rooms looked OK. We had two double rooms with a connecting door on the ground floor with the bea...
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled with family
Winchester
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 February 2013

I have recently returned from my second visit to the outstanding Hemingways Resort, Watamu. The first time I visited in October 2011, I was impressed by the staff, food, attention to detail and general ambience of the whole place; understated elegance, unpretentious and a sheer delight to experience. This time round I was not disappointed, in fact I think it was even better! I was lucky enough to be in one of the Resort's suites which had recently been refurbished and I could not fault the room; comfortable, spacious, with fresh flowers and the best bathroom toiletries I have ever used, and plenty of them! Hemingways is right on the Indian Ocean and whilst I enjoyed using the pool, who could resist regular dips in the incredibly warm and inviting Ocean. The beach was virtually empty and the sand white and sparkling. I also went on a snorkelling trip over the reef arranged by the Resort, which also did not disappoint with a whole range of tropical fish and stunning corals, including giant clams sighted. The quality of food is outstanding; a delicious and varied buffet breakfast and each evening a sumptuous feast on the terrace, under the stars. There is something to suit all tastes, with signature fish dishes being my favourite, served with delicious salads. Fresh flowers mainly stunning roses and lilies, adorn every area of the resort. The staff have to be commended for their civility and care, nothing is too much trouble. A visit to the Beauty Salon is a must, I had the best pedicure ever! So would I return? Without doubt, in fact I am already planning a return next year, as Hemingways Watamu has become a 'home from home' and whether I go there with friends or alone, I know I will be assured of a warm welcome, kindness and a little respite from my hectic life.

Room Tip: Most of the rooms have views of the Ocean, make sure you get one of these. I prefer the first or se...
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank PennWinchester
Nairobi, Kenya
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 February 2013

Hemingways does keep up with the name. Excellent property .The beach lives up to the standards, clean with clear crystal blue waters. Very impressed overall. The staff is over friendly and made our stay in Paradise even better.
rooms on the north wing need a little renovations to match the rooms on the south wing.
Keep up with the good work!

Room Tip: Rooms on the south wings are new plus direct view to the beach. The beach beds are located on the do...
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled with friends