Hemingways Watamu
US$140
Priceline
Medina Palms(Watamu)
US$242
Sun Palm Beach Resort(Watamu)(Great Value!)
US$57
Priceline
TripAdvisor
TripAdvisor
No availability for your dates from our partners
No availability for your dates from our partners
  • Pool
All reviewsfishchef omarol sekif b managersatao campindian oceanmalindi airportdhow tripwahootunakenyan coasta la carte menucoral gardensspent a weekeaster weekendhalf boardpool staff
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 29 December 2006

After a disastrous start to our holiday (we booked at another resort - Mnarani Club - don't ever stay there!). We arrived at Hemingways - sheer bliss in comparison! The staff are very friendly and welcoming - Anne - Reception, Rosemary - Rooms Division and Gail one of the Operations Managers, Omar - The Head Chef was super friendly, as well as, all the staff at the Pool and Pool Bar! They truly made our stay a happy one and gave us wonderful service! The rooms are a little dated, but very comfortable and clean - it was great to have a mini bar and tea/coffee facilities in the rooms too! They have a choice of rooms the standard and the superior - I would definitely choose the superior rooms and pay a little extra, as these rooms are nicer and have a better view. The food was suburb as well as the wonderful teas in the afternoon - the pancakes on offer daily are hard to resist! The evening meals are also super, but I do find it unnecessary to insist that men have to wear long trousers for dinner - it is so hot in the evening and my son who looks 19yrs, but is in fact 16yrs didn't have long pants (we booked into the hotel without realising that this was the dress code for dinner!) Management did turn a blind eye after we explained our predicament - i.e. that he didn't have any long pants with him! Thank goodness, although one did get the impression that this was definitely not the norm! On the second night of our stay the live entertainment was fantastic - wonderful musicians and boy could they sing! Although they were a little too loud - you couldn't really talk at the table! I would recommend that they look into this problem, because it did spoil our evening of catching up with our teenage children (2 x 19yr old girls and our son of 16yrs) about all the daily news and experiences.
Hemingways is situated on the stunning white sandy Watamu beach, and the water is beautiful - it is crystal clear and warm! On one of the mornings we went out on one of the boats to snorkel and we managed to swim with wild dolphins! It was truly a highlight. My son, very much enjoyed Scuba Diving with Aquaventures just a little way down the beach, situated at the Ocean Sports Hotel. Steve Curtis and his wife Helen run and own Aquaventures - the diving was fantastic over 24meter visibility! Aquaventures is a professional operation and we would highly recommend you book your dives with them. My husband and son also went deep sea fishing and caught a huge fish which the hotel chefs prepared for us at lunch time! DELICIOUS! We met lovely people at Hemingways and only arrive back home with fond memories of our stay... if you want to relax and be pampered then this is the place for you!

• Stayed: December 2006, travelled with family
6  Thank HelenBee
Reviewed 4 December 2006

For me this was a trip down memory lane having visited this hotel 20 years ago - always a risk but on this occasion the new memories far surpass the old.

Reading such a negative previous review made me feel like I was in a different hotel as my experience could not have been more diametrically opposite. I was sorry to read that the honeymooners found no joy anywhere. Whilst there are old rooms - (I think they were brand new when I was last there ! ) the cheaper rooms way back then were only huts with palm leaves on the top with monkeys/lizards falling through the roof, mega bugs/mosquitos in the rooms and fruit bats dive bombing you in the pool! but even so a fabulous holiday. Now - It is obviously worth booking one of the better rooms.

A wonderful surprise to return this year and to find that whilst the atmosphere and character remained Hemingways is now a truly luxurious and comfortable hotel. My room (pic posted of view from room) was absolutely spotless and kept that way for 10 days. Ok, the mozzy net does not touch the floor but with the air con on and the fan it would probably be too cold for any self respecting mozzy to land!

Hemingways has a wonderful and relaxing atmosphere where there is plenty of space either to lounge by the pool or under the palm trees on spotlessly clean terry towel covered loungers. (I mention this as a yukky sun lounger is one of my major nit picks at hotels anywhere). A Lunchtime snack at the pool bar each day was delicious and the service there always friendly and quick. Teatime was a trial as the smell of pancakes wafts over and are extremely difficult to resist - Hmm, eventually the temptation became too much. Dinner delicious and Hemingways excel on the barbecue nights.

The staff were exceptional, always friendly and I never noticed slow service; after all I wasn't going anywhere, I was on holiday. Whilst there are many activities available for the restless, this is THE place to come to wind down, walk along the beautiful beach and swim in that crystal clear blue sea.

I have returned completely recharged and ready to face the British Winter - hmmm...but am now planning my trip back to the sun!

• Stayed: November 2006, travelled with friends