“Fantastic stay. Best place in Watamu.”
Review of Medina Palms

Medina Palms
Ranked #3 of 26 Hotels in Watamu
Reviewed 14 May 2014 via mobile

We stayed at Medina Palms for two nights at the beginning of May and had a fantastic time. The welcome was warm and the staff were friendly and helpful throughout.

The hotel has a series of apartments of varying sizes, which all look to have cooking facilities and a separate living space to the bedrooms. We were lucky enough to stay in one of the penthouse apartments with its own private balconies and jacuzzi. The jacuzzi and balcony (with sunbeds) were off from the upstairs living area which has big sofas and ample space for six-eight people, a beautiful spacious place to relax that must have been designed to allow for the best of the sea breeze and views. The beautifully simple master bedroom had a large big kingsize bed, television, wifi and large ensuite bathroom - both with another private balcony. The kitchen was connected to a lovely open eating space with huge whitewash ceilings that reached up to the living space above. The cupboards were better stocked than my kitchen at home. If you decide to rent out the apartment with a larger group I would recommend cooking some delicious seafood or making your own cocktails - you have all the equipment there, no costs spared.

Outside there are about three pools all connected by a narrow central pool that draws your eye out to the sea. These pools are large and clean and for those with children there were staff around to keep an eye on them. Down near the beach is a sandy area where you can have your own beach experience without being disturbed by beachboys. If you want the real thing there is a short path that leads to the water. Next door is hemmingways. We went to check it out once for lunch and decided to give it a miss as it looked dated and dark - there was no comparison to Medina Palms.

On to the food... it was great. The prices in the restaurant were comparative with Nairobi and the tapas menu was real value for money - I'm talking 4~5 massive kingprawns for ksh 500 or there abouts! Yummy...

Oh, and the small well stocked bar does fantastic mojitos!

Overall we had an amazing weekend and now know where we will stay when we're next in Watamu.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 11 May 2014

Stayed in February 2014 for a few weeks.
This hotel is absolutely breathtaking. Finally, real luxury on the Kenyan Coast has arrived.
The rooms/villas are impeccably designed and are spotless, airy and bright. A pool runs throughout the entire complex all the way to the bottom infinity pool offering stunning views of the beach sunset. Expect to have paddle pools outside your rooms, with attentive pool boys and chairs so comfortable you'll want to stay all day reading your book and sipping your delicious cocktails.
The wonderful spa might convince you to get up, though. I've never had such a good massage.
The restaurant is incredible as well. Hint - cocktails in the bar will get the evening going and the bar men all are great fun. Then head up for your meal and the girls upstairs will look after you very well. Try the Prawns pili pili, Moroccan chicken with chickpeas or fresh fish of the day, usually red snapper caught on one of the boats a few hours beforehand.
The paddle pools and kids club make this place great for the kids, with the hotel staff very attentive to the children. Don't expect them to be sitting around not doing much; they will be taken on educational trips to the turtle reserve down the beach!
When I was doing work in the business centre, they were very happy to serve me my dinner at my desk as my conference call ran over time. Seriously accommodating!
The attention to detail in this place is remarkable, especially when you think that it opened less than a year ago. The entire staff group are just fantastic. I racked my brain to find some sort of constructive criticism, but can't think of one. Stay here, and be happy.

Room Tip: Get a room further down the plot, closer to the beach, for the best views and privacy!
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 4 May 2014

I travel a lot for Tourism Industry related work in the region and I vote Medina Palms as the epitome of finesse in East Africa.

This elegant property has 1,2,3 en-suite bedrooms Suites/Villas, separate open plan kitchen, living and dining area, terrace, pools and veranda opening onto the gardens or Ocean depending on location. I love the architectural design, the finishing, the set up and attention to detail in what was clearly a well thought out plan.

Mr. Thinji and his team did everything possible to ensure that my visit was well organized and coordinated allowing us to see the whole property within our short stay. I highly recommend this property for those looking for style and elegance in Hospitality.

1  Thank WaturiMatu
Reviewed 2 May 2014

Stayed at MP for a week including the Easter weekend and was stunned by the superb service and incredible attention to detail by the staff. The GM is subtle and unobtrusive and an inspiration to a thriving team, successfully ensuring the hotel runs like clockwork. Upon his recommendation, we indulged in a dhow trip which we certainly did not regret. The food was fantastic and the choice of entertainment was a real treat. Friends of our's took advantage of the spa menu and thoroughly enjoyed themselves. The bar was a hive of activity .. watch out the barmen are very convincing at 'try one more incredible cocktail '! We didn't bring our children on this trip but with the abundance of pools, kids play centre, and water sports, we will certainly be back in the Summer with them. This place is the absolute essential beginning or end to an East African safari and without doubt has no competition on the Kenyan Coast. !

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 22 April 2014 via mobile

My hubby and I visited medina palms for the first time over the Easter holidays and I must say that this was the BEST so far.
Mr Gilbert and his team were beyond nice and very warm making sure we were comfortable .I liked their attention to deal and never did they disappoint.
We stayed at one of their penta house (34) and it was so so beautiful ,spacious, spotless clean thanks to our housekeeper boniface who never tired to cater to our daily needs I felt at home away from home.
Sakina spa was just the one we got a body scrub and a hot stone massage that was just devine very relaxed I could not stop smiling thanks to Mr. Roberto and his team .
We did a sundowner dhow cruise that was so peaceful brilliant scenary for photography, the lady attendant at the dhow made everyone so comfortable with very tasty canapés,cocktails and biting. She was a beautiful heart.
The food was average but loved the spectacular garden set up for the dinners and the karaoke lady made the evenings magical with her beautiful pieces.

The front office team made sure our departure would be memorable with a beautiful send off package that I loved.

I highly recommend for a visit at the medina palms it is a small heaven filled with beautiful people always ready to make your stay one to remember.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
Rosie L, Marketing at Medina Palms, responded to this reviewResponded 23 April 2014

Many thanks for your great comments. We're delighted you enjoyed your stay with us and look forward to welcoming you back for a longer stay!

Reviewed 22 April 2014

Just got back from 3 nights in suite number 32, it was a great relaxing easter weekend. We enjoyed the superb hospitality. Highly recommended to people who are looking for a relaxing break. Gilbert and Ashraf were very hospitable to us and made sure we were comfortable through our stay.

Room Tip: Rooms on ground floor are good if you are with children, if you are travelling as a couple the rooms...
1  Thank ASHMombasa
Reviewed 21 April 2014

We stayed at Medina albeit for one night only. Excellent accommodation - the penthouse was fantastic. I wish I could have bought it ! Dinner was good but rather limited menu (early days).
I wish there was a way to stop being hassled by the beach boys though - gets wearing after a while.

The staff were superb and very keen to assist and make the place.
Max the GM always around - great help.

The formula is right Nigel and team

Room Tip: Go for the beach vilas or penthouses