“Magical Medina”
Review of Medina Palms

Medina Palms
Ranked #2 of 26 Hotels in Watamu
Reviewed 19 August 2014

We have just returned from the most amazing stay at Medina. We were made ti feel like royalty by the brilliant staff.

from the moment we arrived and had our welcoming drink to our last meal we could not have been treated better.

The facilities are superb, with access to watersports (Tribe see review), beautiful pools, the stunning beach and Robertos spa.

I have travelled a fair bit and i have to say the combination of luxurious accommodation,good architectural design, wonderful staff and the most fabulous atmosphere during our 8 night stay made this the trip of a lifetime.

We will be saving up to come back to Magical Medina soon!

Room Tip: Go for the penthouse if you can stretch to it, it is is worth it.
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank clinton g
Max C, General Manager at Medina Palms, responded to this reviewResponded 28 August 2014

On behalf of the Medina team, we thank you for your very kind words of support and encouragement for what we do. We look forward to welcoming you back to Magical Medina and ensure you of our continued dedication to service. Warm regards from a sunny and beautiful Watamu.

Reviewed 15 August 2014

We stayed at Medina Palms for 6 days in August 2014. This was really a dream stay, the staff are very competent and friendly, facilities very spacious with all the privacy of home, so much pool you almost feel like its part of the ocean. The children loved the Nemo's cave where all attention has been taken to ensure safety and fun, plus the many baby pools!!! The chef made sure the kids had healthy and fun meals without fussing over the main menu. Definitely an excellent holiday for the whole family.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank 4Anders0ns
Reviewed 27 July 2014

I have been vising the Kenya coast for 20 years and whilst I have found many places that have great qualities that mostly outweigh the regular shortcomings of bad service, overcrowding, no hot water, or dull food, I have not found somewhere that seemed to have gotten most, if not everything right.
Medina was really noticeably exceptional. The kids loved the expanse of pools, the food was consistently impressive and the service second to none. Even the beach vendors seemed to have been to hospitality school. Did I mention the food? We ventured out twice for dinner and both occasions served as a reminder of just how on the money Medina had proven. Self catering an option with really well equipped kitchens but not even on our radar with such good prices. Will consider it for Christmas. I did catch myself wondering how long they can keep those prices so reasonable. Even the wine was shockingly well priced and decently cold. How do they do it?
And, be prepared to lose your family to entire days with Ben and Seb of Tribe Watersports. My husband and daughter had lessons in Diani and Lamu before, but it is with Ben and Seb that they got their confidence and joy. What a pleasure to watch. Our 11 year old son did it for the first time and was up on the board after 4 hours like some Point Break surfer dude instead of the computer game geek he has been being! Too often water sports schools can be intimidating for youngsters and even parents, but Tribe and I think Watamu in general, you feel at home and part of it all right away. It’s really great to finally see somewhere like this on the coast – well run, personal, unpretentious. We are all going back with larger extended family for Christmas / New Year and I am sending our German film crew there end September for some few days R&R. When I discover somewhere this good, the tendency is not to want to tell everyone else about it – I don’t want to share in case it gets over run and spoilt and they put their prices up…! But I really don’t want to see it at the mercy of the nervousness about security further up and down the coast. I hope people can be persuaded see past that. I haven’t felt so loved up and relaxed on holiday for a long time.

Room Tip: Palmerie villas at the front the best.
2  Thank GingerWilsonKenya
Reviewed 23 July 2014

Medina Palms has got to be the best experience I have had at the Kenyan Coast. My family and I spent two nights at the hotel this July and everything about our stay was exceptional. The reception we got at the airport to the welcome we go at the hotel was fantastic. Everyone was courteous and made us feel welcome to Medina palms. The check in process was also very swift and professional. Everything about Medina Palms was carefully thought through from the lobby, the gardens, the stretched out infinity pool, the apartments and the villas. The staff knew our names and made us feel at home. The food was good and that breakfast.., hmm hmm hmm, we looked forward to it. I have already recommended the place to my friends and they cannot wait to go and experience Medina Palms. I will definitely be back. Big ups to Gilbert, Andrew and everyone really. We had a wonderful stay.

Reviewed 21 July 2014

I spent last weekend at Medina Palms...right from the entrance, we Front Office Manager Gilbert was waiting to receive us from the van. inside, the entire staff had lined up wearing lovely smiles that made us immediately feel welcome.
the ambiance was breathtaking, to say the least, everything was catchy to the eye, the apartments, villas, the pent house and the stretch of the infinity pool, these are sights you would not imagine in Kenya.
Besides the beauty of the location, the staff were the most HOSPITABLE i have come across, they all took time to even know our names and we were all pals by the end of the stay.
Given a chance, i would go back again and again...
Thank you team for making my stay memorable: Cheers to Gilbert, Edward, Ralph, Evaline, Winnie, just to mention a few of them.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank viola m
Reviewed 21 July 2014

I spent two night at the hotel with my colleagues over the weekend and i cannot forget to say the staff from senior management to the lowest level demonstrated exceptional service levels.Special mention to a staff by the name Everlyne.Keep up the good work.I will be back to Medina soon.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank James K
Reviewed 14 July 2014

I stayed for about a week and one, if not the main reason that has me writing a review is the fact that the staff at this resort were probably the most hospitable staff I've come across on our continent. Watamu as explained by one of the Tribe water sports guide (Dudu) means sweet people and the staff at the hotel were truly representative of that meaning. Villa #10 was my humble abode for the week and i must commend the cleanliness of our villa (thanks Penninah). The food at the restaurant was delicious but the waiting time was always way too long, probably their greatest weakness at the restaurant.

Onto the not so great stuff, there was a huge lack of professionalism by the snorkeling and boat ride team. It was a first time for a few on the boat, and there was a lack of life vests, way too many boat men without a clue of what they should be doing. As for the boat ride, same story a lot of men on the boat who didn't know what to do with themselves. They ended being extremely rowdy and completely ruined the already disorganised ride. Medina Palms, i urge you to really look into this issue because it was a major let down on your behalf. Apart from that a very big thank you to the staff you truly made our experience a memorable one.

1  Thank Sheila L
Max C, General Manager at Medina Palms, responded to this reviewResponded 16 July 2014

Thank you for taking the time to post a review of your recent visit to Medina Palms. it is important for our wonderful staff to be acknowledged and appreciated for the work they do in making your holiday a memorable experience. We invest in their skills and attitude, in truly Kenyan style..always with a smile. We hope you enjoyed the serene atmosphere of your private villa.
We have taken careful note of your comments on the food service and the external boat ride. As our restaurant serves a strictly A la' Carte menu, this may occasionally take longer than you would expect compared to a Table D' Hote menu ( fixed daily choice). However, our waiters and chefs take every possible measure in ensuring the quality is beyond expectation and we are happy to note you appreciated this. As our staff mature with experience, we are confident the service delivery will improve, bearing also in mind that ' room service' in a large property will be most affected by timings . Your comments are important in highlighting to them your discerning expectations of a seasoned traveller ( we noted your wonderful past trips).!
With regards to the boat ride, thank you once again for bringing this to our attention. The boats and staff are sub-contracted and not under our management. We will ensure that your comments are taken seriously and acted upon by our Front Office and Tribe Water Sports. If necessary, we will change service providers, as its only through comments like these that we get to know the facts from a consumers point of view. We do not want our esteemed guests experiences at Medina Palms to be tarnished by a third party supplier. We hope to see you and your wonderful family back to enjoy Medina. Best regards. Management.