“Simply Fabulous”

Turtle Bay Beach Club
Ranked #15 of 26 Hotels in Watamu
Reviewed 16 January 2012

Big big problem - only had 1 week at turtle bay should have done 2 :-)

Just back from a fabulous week at Turtle Bay. Staff are great, location is great, food was great. I can have sensitive guts on hols but not here. (Just avoid tap water at all costs)
I love the area the culture and the experiences available in this area/hotel. I have stayed in many places around the world and this place really does it for me. We were lucky finding here 9 years ago, it was that good we have talked of coming back ever since. 9 years later it was once again everything we wanted on hols. Beautiful relaxing beach holiday with lots to see and do when required. Its was also good to see alot of familar faces still working there. Simply a happy place full of happy people and i cannot recommend this holiday enough. I will def not leave it so long before my next visit and i will def do 2 weeks in future as when we were leaving and friends we met were just heading for a 3day safari followed by a few more days at the hotel I felt sick sick sick.
Keep up the good work and hopefully see you soon

Top tips - get cash from cash machine near hotel or airport in Mombassa best rate this way, consider your options for tours and safaris and support the people

Room Tip: if you go to bed early consider a Lamu room as much quieter. Hotel is quiet by 12 so its not too lat...
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Honesttraveller50

Reviewed 12 January 2012

We have been fortunate to visit this hotel many times and have never been disappointed. We usually travel as a family including a Grandpa of 70 something and the youngest being 12 years old with ages in between - there is something for all of us at this wonderful establishment. The staff are friendly and efficient and appear to remember all repeaters. Every-time we plan a trip we consider trying something different, but the outcome is always the same - if it is not broken , why try and fix it !! We will be back in March 2012. This hotel does not pretend to be something it is not and what is does do, it does well. We much prefer the Lamu rooms to the club rooms as we like to go to bed fairly early and the disco noise can be irritating in certain locations of the hotel. We love the private beach, dive centre and the adult pool. My 12 year old did the sailing course and can now use the little catamarans for free as he has a 'licence'. Kids of all ages enjoy the pedaloes and kayaks - fun to go out to the sand bar at low tide. There are some lovely coral heads a short swim from the hotel - not anywhere near as good as the Marine Park but very easy to venture out to at the right tidal period.

Room Tip: Lamu Rooms for peace and tranquility
7  Thank LinzTNairobi_Kenya
Reviewed 8 January 2012

Turtle Bay Beach Club was our final destination of our 3 week trip through Kenya. Having been at some quieter safari lodges the multi-sensory introduction to Turtle Bay was a bit overwhelming. This is a family friendly Hotel with "kids of all ages" enjoying themselves over the Christmas and New Year break.

On our arrival we were shown to our rooms directly above the main pool and restaurant area. We were initially given broken keys, which required some back and forth's to the main desk, but that issue was quickly fixed. The problem came at night when we realized that the "party" went on to midnight and trying to sleep was a real problem. Our initial approach to the front desk re: a room change wasn't so great, but thankfully Sabine was able to generously help us out and our rooms were changed to Lamu rooms (including a junior suite) the next day. I would highly recommend pre-booking a Lamu room if you enjoy an early night.

Over our one week stay we acclimatized to the "party/fun" atmosphere of Turtle Bay. Our kids had a great time making friends from around the world and enjoying the evening entertainment and especially the New Year's party.

The food and drink are good and plentiful. We ate a couple of nights at the pizza place which was a nice change of pace. We got into the habit of having a pre-dinner drink at Weaver's bar which was always great. The kids really enjoyed the wide selection of non-alcoholic drinks to choose from.

The beach was beautiful with lots to explore. My oldest enjoyed her windsurfing lessons and was out almost everyday. Don't be intimidated by the beach boys. They were actually really great and would remember your name and great you happily each day. We never felt too pressured.

By the end of our week at Turtle Bay we had really relaxed and I can say we had a great ending to our holiday in Kenya!

Asante Sana Turtle Bay!

By the end of the week we had relaxed and got into the rhythm of Turtle Bay.

6  Thank akelsall_11
Reviewed 5 January 2012

We returned to Turtle Bay in October 2011 and thoroughly enjoyed ourselves. We arranged to meet up with friends that we had met the previous year and kept in touch with when we came home. We also met up with other guests who we had met the previous year and made new friends whilst we were there.
Booking in at reception yet again was swift and the cold drink and cold towels which were waiting for us were very welcome after a long flight and transfer.
The Fun Team and Restaurant Waiters recognised us almost immediately and welcomed us back to their hotel. It was so nice to be remembered and even the Pool Attendants remembered where we used to sit the previous year.
My husband was ill whilst we were at Turtle Bay (the Malaria Tables that we took did not agree with him). On making enquiries at the Reception desk about the times when the Doctor was at the hotel I was handed the telephone and speaking to the Doctor within a few minutes. That evening my husband was given other Malaria Tablets and was soon back on his feet in no time enjoying the holiday. The Staff could not do enough for us, making sure that we had pleanty of cold water in the room and if we needed anything at all our request was filled within minutes.
Food excellent, rooms clean and look forward to returning yet again in the future.

Room Tip: Stayed in Main Building on Top Floor overlooking Pool area and also had a lovely view of the sea. D...
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled with family
3  Thank angiesWales
Reviewed 5 January 2012

This Hotel has to be the most frequently re-visited Hotel in Kenya. It suits all ages and having only been there 8 times before I still feel like a New comer! Everyone is very friendly and that is in part due to the staff, nothing is too much trouble and you always enjoy yourself. There is only one down side to holidaying at Turtle Bay and that is when you have to leave!

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Dickie0121
Reviewed 31 December 2011

I also was part of the group visit 9th -20th November 2011. I was very pleased with most aspects of the hotel, and would certainly go again. As I booked early I had a Lamu room which was very good and far enough away from the bars and entertainment areas as to not be a problem, my room overlooked the top end of the quiet pool area and was very peaceful.
The food is of good quality and plentiful, we visited the pizzeria one evening which was not brilliant , but they were busy.I wish we had found the Blue Turtle earlier, well worth a visit even with the extra to pay.The staff are wonderful and really go out of their way to make your holiday a success. Especially Ratibue with his infectious smile and Susan who kept us well supplied with drinks around the pool, top marks also to Harree as pool bed attendant.
The short wander down the beach to Hemmingways is a nice break along with the beach vendors, who behave themselves.The Arab Dhow trip is well worth paying for as is the Snorkelling trip and the Rock Pools. I also had a chance to visit the Orphanage which was very thought provoking, I am glad that I took some books etc. I can not say again how good the staff were, they laid on a special BBQ for us on our last night and even specially cooked a large fish that I caught on a deep sea fishing trip, to feed everybody in our party.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled solo
5  Thank Syd T
Reviewed 29 December 2011

This is the second time we stayed at Turtle bay and it was just as homely as the last visit. This resort is all about relaxation and it seems the busier it is the more atmosphere it has. We were a large group and we all commented on the staff and their attention to detail. Will be looking forward to coming back for a third time. We particularly enjoy the activities the resort offers, you have many options to entertain all types of people of all ages.

1  Thank okumu