“Paradise, we will be back”

Turtle Bay Beach Club
Ranked #14 of 26 Hotels in Watamu
Reviewed 19 January 2014 via mobile

My boyfriend and I came to turtle bay on New Year's Eve for a 2week holiday. We got there and had a introduction meeting with our rep through Thompson with mercy. Lovely lady she was a great help the whole way through the holiday we could go to her at any time with any queries. After getting settled in our lovely room we ventured around the place and ran into the general manger Damian who was extremely helpful New Year's Eve was great the place looked fantastic they put on such a spread made a brilliant effort.
I am a very fussy eater and drinker and there was so much choice even I ate well. I had a problem trying to find a drink for me Damian came over and after attempting 2or 3 drinks he found me my poison. Couldn't believe the effort he went to to make sure I had a great night.
The place is paradise the beach is beautiful with waiters refilling your drink as soon as it's finished.
There are activities on all day everyday to keep u entertained and a great kids club.
The one thing that makes the place special is the people that work there we made some great friends with hammish, ratibu and Kadenga. Massive thank to them for making us feel welcome, also to Derrick sun beds always looked after us gettin us our spot :) also Ali in buffet on work experience (keep him) lovely young man. We went to weavers nest every night before dinner where Anthony and Rama served us great banter and always a smile.
We went for a walk on the beach and found a lovely man called nemo he works on the beach selling excursions. We had been told about him before we left and so booked safari for 2days with him at a great price I would highly recommend doing it it's an great experience he also took us for a walk around the rock pools and beach were we found sealife. We also booked a tour of the nearest village and to see the crocodile &snake farm with nemo. Also an experience we held baby crocodiles and huge snakes. I have added his business card to the photos I have uploaded would recommend using his services he is local and knows a great deal about the area and it's history.
TBBC have a wide variety of excursion on offer too at a set price, we found you can get a better deal with nemo.
They have two other restaurants aswell as the buffet called the blue turtle (which is not in the all inclusive) and the pizza garden we spend most of our time there. The servers samson and phydis made us feel so welcome we just kept coming back.
TBBC has an amazing water sports some of which is part
If the all inclusive we went out in canoes to the turtle rock out in sea. Also went for a suba dive in the pool.
Overall this is a beautiful place, with wonderful staff we will most definitely be back.

Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 19 January 2014

Could not fault one thing on our holiday of a lifetime! Myself and my husband are repeat visitors to Turtle Bay but it was the first time taking my son to Kenya. What can I say? The staff at Turtle Bay are exceptional - Jambo to you all! It seems inappropriate to single any member of staff out as all are as hardworking and eager to meet your needs. However, Rama, Kadenge, Hamish, Peter and Derrick deserve a special mention from us personally as they absolutely made our holiday. They were always there with a ready smile and so genuinely pleased to see us. We made some fantastic friends (both staff and guests) who I hope we will be in touch with for years to come.

The food was fantastic and plentiful and something to please everybody. The accommodation was spotlessly clean and the cleaners do a fantastic job everyday.

We booked through Thomson's and Mercie the rep did everything she could to ensure a happy stay here. She arranged our Safari to Masai Mara - much easier to fly from Malindi than Mombasa which took some organising, but she went out of her way to make this happen and she is such a fantastic character!

My husband and son went scuba diving and all the dive centre staff were fantastic - a credit to Erwin and Esther who run the dive centre. It was my son's first international diving experience and I would like to give special thanks to James for looking after him and giving him confidence to enjoy his diving -very different in the Indian Ocean to his open water dives in a quarry in Cumbria!

It was lovely to see the manager Damien involved with serving lunches and greeting the guests over the New Year festivities - he is an absolute host and has inspired my 13 year old son so much that he is now after his job!

This was a once in a lifetime trip for our family but we will do everything we can to revisit Turtle Bay - hopefully for New Year 2016! Asante sana to everyone we met who made our holiday so memorable!

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 12 January 2014

Not long back from two weeks to TBBC our 3rd visit over Xmas and new year
having not been back for 3 years and it is still as good as ever
it was nice to meet all our friends again from repeat guests to the staff and also, the lads on the beach.and friends in watamu.
once again we made use of the bicycles at TBBC visiting mida creek .watamu village .timboni and gedi this helps to work off some of that lovely food,
a big thanks to john and Alex chefs also Ratibu, Hamishi, Ali and Christine drinks waiters derrick and harry sun beds not forgetting wendo 1st class barman
we also went on safari to the goveners camp Masai Mara a fantastic camp seeing lots of game
we booked this back in England using again Raymond kingi from kingi safaris.com excellent service right down to our request for room 35 Savannah view
thanks a lot again turtle bay we will be back

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 10 January 2014

Its popularity with East African expats says it all, as they should know best. Well run, efficient and amazing for a three star hotel. Friendly German run diving although being in a marine reserve means that snorkelling off the beach is also pretty good if you know where to go.

Room Tip: The main block nearest the beach and evening entertainment can be noisy.
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank twothieves
Reviewed 8 January 2014

As soon as we arrived at the hotel we were greeted by the staff and given refreshments along with a cold flannel which was great after our long transfer on the coach! The reception area is wonderful and has a real African atmosphere to it which I loved. Staff members carried our luggage up to our room. They were friendly but they then hang around waiting for a tip which I wasn't so keen on..I found this happened a lot on the safari too. Even if you don't want your bag carried they are still adament to take them.

The rooms are basic but very clean and tidy. They get cleaned every day and they always did a fantastic job. We were on the 3rd floor and had a balcony overlooking the pool area/ocean view which was great.

I personally thought the food was above average. I liked the buffet style at the poolside restaurant. Always a different variety each night. The deserts however weren't that great and I avoided them.

I would 100% recommend the blue turtle a la carte restaurant. We booked it for the night of my 21st bday and it was such a treat! Lobster was to die for. My boyfriend had the prawns which were freshly caught that morning..no words can describe how big they were!

The poolside staff make extra special effort to get to know you. Always making sure your drinks are topped up and that you are enjoying your day- Hamish, Ratibu, Kadenge but especially Ali... A very hard working, friendly and attentive colleague who is a credit to turtle bay.

Overall amazing holiday :)

Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Jessica S
Reviewed 6 January 2014

my wife and I, my son, daughter and two friends who have a farm stc !! stayed at this hotel for 10 days 22nd December to 1st January 2014. we had 3 lamu rooms. they were very clean and the beds very comfortable, the rooms were cleaned every day. it was nice to see the manager taking a hands on role, he was to be seen every day of our stay and was very approachable and helpful. it is unusual to see the manager of a hotel of this size at all. well done Damien keep up the good work. several of the guests had stayed at the hotel previously, some several times which is a good sign. the other good sign is that some of the staff have been there for 20 years.
the food of which there is plenty, is excellent and lots of choice. there is two pools, one a large family pool the other an adults (quiet pool ? ). the pools were cleaned every day and were always clean, the waiters would take your orders and serve you with drinks by the pool on a regular basis. the beach and sea was clean with security guards always on patrol. there were beach sellers but they didn't bother us too much.
the staff at this hotel were a credit to it they couldn't have made our stay anymore enjoyable. from Damien the manager who was always on hand, we had derrick the pool man, ali the waiter (keep him Damien ), ratibu and hamish the waiters and sabine in marketing.
during our stay we all went out on quad bikes and also ventured out into the town in a tuk tuk we all felt safe and enjoyed our experience. we all loved this hotel and would recommend it and return to it as soon as we can.

Room Tip: lamu rooms are very good and quiet
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank bingley
Reviewed 30 December 2013

We first visited Turtle Bay in 2006. It was going to be a one off holiday. After the first week I knew we would be back sooner and returned the following year. In 2008 our holiday was cancelled due to problems after the elections but thankfully all became peaceful again and we returned later in that year. This year we decided not to go but missed it so much that we have just booked for 2 weeks in July, I'm told there is more rain then but I'll be home that's more important than the weather to us. This is down to the hotel or rather the staff, it's the only place that I truly can relax in. So thank you, everyone we'll see you in July.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled with family