“Simply the best”

Turtle Bay Beach Club
Ranked #14 of 26 Hotels in Watamu
Reviewed 3 February 2010

This was our honeymoon and everyone made us feel very special, the hotal is beautiful, we stayed in a basic room, but is was perfect, a very comfortable bed plus we had a bath and shower . The beach is perfect., the two pools are beautiful the grounds are stunning. The best thing about Turtle Beach without a doubt is the staff and the.wonderful repeater guests, You feel at home from the moment you arrive, the 'Fun base' club are always around but never too much. You can join in as muc or as little as you want. We will definatley be going back !

• Stayed: January 2010, travelled as a couple
2  Thank honeymooners011
There are newer reviews for Turtle Bay Beach Club

Reviewed 11 January 2010

Just back having spent 17 nights over xmas and new year at tbbc for the second time.
Had ocean front room which has a fantastic view of the beach and sea very handy for the restaurant and bar area. the room was kept spotless by joseph our cleaner.

The xmas and new year celebrations were very good especially the fireworks at new year and seeing the hundreds of locals that come to watch every year.

A special thank you to all the staff too many names to list except a special mention for Arnold the bar waiter who went out of his way at night time to provide excellent service.

The only negative side of this holliday was at new year when large familes arrived from in land with all their teenage children that seemed to think they could take over the place especially the bar area with very loud drinking games till 12 pm when the all inclusive drinks stopped which really did spoil the atmosphere of the place for a lot of people. I was not the only one to complain as we don't normally do as we like a drink and a laugh too but that was out of hand with no staff with any power to say anything wonder why?

hopefully next year wont be as bad as we do like this place especially the location, the beaches, reef walking, swimming and snorkling and local village. Not forgetting all our kenyan friends which are more each year and a big thanks to thomas and raymond from kingi safaris for all our fabulous excursions but especially new years day.

see you all next xmas kwaheri

• Stayed: December 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank fenceandhedges
Reviewed 11 January 2010

We had a pleasant time at this hotel and it was very relaxing. The beach is good but there are sometimes several hawkers between you and the water that you have to work your way through. The beach is nice, beer cold, and the food generous but a little variety would be nice (they seem to have a set, rotating menu). The dive shop is professional and the Kenyan staff/instructors were of special note as they were patient, friendly, and helpful; especially with the new and infrequent divers w/some experience. There were a lot of very experienced divers there during our stay; which is a good sign. The gentleman in charge of the Dive Center is extremely easy and pleasant to deal with. A nice place for a family with young children, and the staff was always responsive, but it would be great if the jewelry shop were open more often. Thanks for the good family vacation.

• Stayed: January 2010, travelled with family
Reviewed 29 November 2009

I can't really add much to the other reviews who praise the hotel because they have pretty much said it all. We had two young children with us and we were quite worried about the mosquitos but the hotel has brilliant mossie nets that encase all the beds together and you can ask for your room to be sprayed each evening. None of us were bitten at all. The staff are amazing and seem really happy there, especially the funbase team who were enthusiastic but not pushy. The guys on the beach do jump on you straight away but if you give them a bit of time, talk to them and go and see the eels they will leave you alone. They also really appriciate anything that you are not taking home with you ie. shampoo, clothes etc. The best bit is the pool - amazing!!!

• Stayed: November 2009, travelled with family
Reviewed 24 November 2009

I have thought long and hard before writing this review because I cannot give it the 5 star review that I was hoping, so I will get the negatives out of the way.
The restaurant, it needs a Maitre d' for consistence. it is expected to be shown to a table and a designated drinks waiter to look after your needs. On several occasion's we had to go to the bar area ( no big deal!! ) and place an order only to return to our table and have 4 waiters descend on us for our order. Also it is nice to build a rapport with one individual.
Rooms, we stayed in the Lamu's overlooking the new pool, yes I had done my homework and knew the rooms were basic but....
the bathroom was in a very poor state in need of a complete revamp. Dirty tiles and grout, and the towels have seen better days.
The main area was seemly clean until you happened to move something i.e. the small bedside table to access a power point, very dirty behind the table. Also a curtain across the wardrobe space would have been nice, and two chairs in the room please!!
The air con, very efficient, however.. no remote control, so if you leave it on at night you are awake in the early hours absolutely freezing, there is a ceiling fan but we found this to noisy.
Reception staff on the whole, very helpful apart from one ( lady ) who was very rude indeed. Very unusual for this part of the world.
O.K that's all the negatives out of the way.
The grounds were very well kept.
Both pools were of a very high standard. Although there were no sunshades at the new pool.
It was lovely to be able to use the beach area, as the beach boys are not allowed in this area. The attendants we always available to move the beds and to supply the mattresses.
Beach boys were of little problem to us, yes they do try it on but a simple no thanks worked well, totally different from the Voyager where we stayed last year.
The food was fantastic in all three restaurants lots of variety in the buffet and all of a very high standard. Well done to all the chefs. Pancakes were excellent at 4pm. There is a snack menu as well which is not widely advertised.
Entertainment was as you would expect, if it is not your scene the bar in reception is a good alternative.
The beach was not at its best with lots of weed most days which also meant the sea although beautifully warm was not very clear. No fault of the hotel.
A short walk to the left of the hotel past Hemingway's brought you to the Ocean Sports hotel where you can watch this fishing boats come in with their catch as we did on the days when our men folk went out to play. Very reasonable for a couple of tuskers and a very nice setting. Oh yes, the boys were very pleased with their catch as well including a very nice Sailfish.
We did a safari with Abdul and stayed at the Royal Mara,separate review, wonderful, both Abdul and the safari cannot recommend either highly enough.
To sum up, I am sorry if I have offended anyone as the reviews for Turtle Bay are in the most part 5 star and yes I will return mainly for the men and their fishing and the location of the hotel. I know it is a third world country and know the hotel has only a three star ratting but not a three star cost and should be prices accordingly.
With just a few adjustments it could be THE place to be.
In no way would I deter anyone from staying here this is my ( & family ) opinion and everyone has a different expectations.

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled with family
3  Thank dorsetjane
Reviewed 13 November 2009

The best thing about this hotel is its wonderful situation, right on a stretch of excellent beach and a short boat ride from fabulous reef snorkelling. The hotel also runs really good snorkel safaris, organised by a very knowledgable marine biologist. But otherwise, it's pretty average. It's dominated by the Thomsons package tour crowds, so there are too many replica football shirts round the pool, the food is very English, and it is impossible to rid yourself of the faint whiff of lager lout in the background. Probably as a result of having to deal with a clientele which seems uninterested in the local culture, preferring to drink and turn red on the sun-loungers, the staff seem rather battle-weary compared to anywhere else I have been in Kenya. I won't be going back.

• Stayed: August 2008, travelled with family
1  Thank LondonScreenName
Reviewed 11 November 2009

What can I say about TBBC, as a solo traveller I was very nervous, but from the moment I arrived I was put at ease. The staff are all brilliant,everyone greeting you with a smile and Jambo. The rooms are spacious, food plentiful and varied, had to go on a diet when I got home.I met quite a few repeaters and I can fully understand why they keep returning here. I booked my safari with Abdul from Tundra tours and he is a fantastic man who treats you like royalty, a lot cheaper than booking with your rep.One day I hope to return to this paradise.

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled solo