“How to enjoy the 'Kenya Secret'”

Turtle Bay Beach Club
Ranked #13 of 26 Hotels in Watamu
Dubai
“How to enjoy the 'Kenya Secret'”
Reviewed 30 December 2010

Ten years back in December 2000 we tied the knot at TBBC. So what would we find now? Would revisiting the place with so many good memories live up to our expectations? These were questions we asked ourselves prior to booking at the TBBC. We were not disappointed and it felt like a continuation of our visit from the year 2000.

You have to remember that what makes your visit to TBBC are the staff. You couldn't meet a friendlier bunch and they are always smiling. The more you engage the more they want to make your stay extra special. So first off a big thank you to all the staff for making our stay perfect. A special thanks to the following:-

Wendu, Juma, Roy, Charo, Silas, Michael, Tony, Kerry, Hamish and Nancy the wedding coordinator that made our day special 10 years back. Really can't thank the staff enough for the attention we received.

We visited this time with our children aged 6 and 8 who also had an amazing time. As it was a special occasion we booked our safari through the hotel and again were delighted with the service we received, Tumu and her team provided all the answers to our questions and took care of all the arrangements.

The secret to enjoying TBBC is to relax, take your time and enjoy the happy friendly atmosphere and people that work there.

I would also recommend getting out and looking around Watamu and Timboni. If you can also try to visit the Sita Hidden Academy which is an Orphanage in desperate need of support. The children are beautiful and the Director Mr Wilfred Hare is doing the best job he can with limited resources. The Academy does not get many visitors as it is off the beaten track a bit. But please do not let that put you off.

All in all a great experience and highly recommended for families of all ages.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled with family
3 Thank Dxbreviewer1

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (237)
UK
Reviewed 28 December 2010

Watamu is paradise with beautiful white powdery sand beach. the beach goes on forever and is safe to walk/jog on. hotel is lovely and our room (ocean front) was very spacious and lovely, stepping onto the beach. hotel was below capacity in early dec. food was good with good vegetarian choices. very relaxing place. also did diving with their dive shop which was amazing. would recommend the place. Do try the pizza restaurant which serves great pizza but not so great salads. a great view of beautiful birds nesting and making a great spectacle in the evenings

• Stayed December 2010, travelled with friends
2 Thank Globetrotter2008_9
Bristol
Reviewed 27 December 2010

We return from TBBC nearly a week ago now, missing it hugely! We booked the hotel through Thomas Cook, it was our final destination after an 8 day safari. What a hotel to finish with! It is fantastic! After reading a review on here I contacted the hotel personally to ask if I could have an upgrade to a sea view room. They did so much better than that. We had a huge room, a Lamu suite on the beach front. It was the top floor so had fab sea views (room was L43, well worth upgrading to). As it was our honeymoon they did it all for free. We had a big bowl of fruit in the room on arrival too which after a 5 hour drive from the mara to Niarobi and then a flight and a 2 hour transfer was appreciated greatly! The room was huge, it had a newly refurbed bathroom (twin sinks etc) a Queen size four poster bed and mozzie net and a lounge area.
The hotel itself is great. The staff and the service they give are second to none. They will do absolutely anything for you. They are always upbeat and willing to have a bit of a chat! We stationed ourself on the beach for the whole 6 days we were there and recieved fab service from Kadinge and Hamish. The water sports centre is good. There were people diving every morning at 7am. We had a go at the Kayak and the pedloes and my husband had the free windsurfing lesson.
Having spoken to several guests who had previously stayed at the hotel we were advised to book our snorkling trip with the boys on the beach instead of the hotel. This saved us £10 each! Apparently the hotel hires the same boats and equipment that the beach boys use anyway! Our snorkling trip was good although not long enough in my opinion. The little boat took us out to the coral garden where we had about 1.5 hours in the water. There was quite a lot to see! Parrot fish etc in abundance. I have snorkled alot in Sharm in Egypt and the snorkling here is now where near as good but it is still 100% worth doing. The beach boys also took us around the rockpools on the beach when the tide was out for a small fee. They showed us so much more than we ever would have seen without them! Thisis well worth the couple hundred shillings!
The food in the hotel was great, something different every night. No complaints all very tasty! We ate in the Blue Turtle Restuarant on 2 occasions (this is not part of the all inclusive offer). The food there is unbeliveable. We both had lobster on both occasions as it was so fantastic. It was great to be waiting on under the stars on the beach instead of being in the buffet restaurant! I would recommend this to everyone!
Lastly the beach is fantastic, bright white sand andperfect turquoise sea. I truely would recommend this hotel to everyone! We will be returning for our anniversary!

• Stayed December 2010, travelled as a couple
3 Thank holidayblue
U.K.
Reviewed 24 December 2010

This year we spent 3 weeks here and it just gets better and better. Its the staff that make this hotel what it is. I would like to thank some of them, Wendo for his teddy bear hugs, Silas for his lovely cocktails, Kenny, James etc. We cannot fault anyone. A special thank you to Christopher (rooms) nothing was too much trouble for him. To Bensen its always good to see him we feel we are all friends. This year I went off to the village quite a bit on my own and felt completely safe, on these trips I met some wonderful people whose names are now in my address book & we'll keep in touch. This little bit of Kenya has become so important to me and it feels like coming home. Everyone writes about the friendliness of the people but I've not yet found the words to describe the way it makes you feel when you are greeted like long lost family. Even the guys on the beach, I spent many hours just talking to them, I heard one woman when asked if she been harrassed on the beach only for her to reply ' you have to humour them' I felt angry about this comment, as my experience with the beach boys has been great, they know I come and talk and listen and don't buy anything until my last day unless I want something special, and usually what I buy is something small and costing little to US but it sometimes means they can buy lunch. I always find what they have say is interesting, funny, sad but always thought provoking. I count my blessings every day. As long as its possible for me I will always go back.

• Stayed December 2010
Cambridge, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 December 2010

from time of arrival friendly smiling faces and made very welcome. relax at the beautiful pool, laze on the beach, join in many games organised by the fun club for adults and children, very good beach walks by the club too. the service is excellent and you are well looked after. the most wonderful holiday i have had. the room was very clean, and the beds comfortable. lots of food to choose from, very tasty. you will love staying here too.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled with friends
barnsley
Reviewed 1 December 2010

We stayed at Turtle bay for 3 weeks and had a fantastic time, staff are friendly the whole place is very clean and tidy would definatley go back. We went on Safari with Geoffrey Mwangi who is actually from Malindi but is only too happy to travel the short distance to Watamu to arrange safaris for you and as we had been with him twice before when we went to Scorpio Villas we used him again and he provides a first class service his number is +254728133623 and his email is kenjeffmwangi@yahoo.com get in touch before you go to introduce yourself he is great and speaks excellent english.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled as a couple
Wales, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 November 2010

Booked this hotel via thier website after reading all the rave reviews.
To start with we were not happy bunnies, booked hotel transport from Mombasa airport to the hotel and after travelling around 12 hours we had a mini van with no A/C and not even a bottle of water. Had we know it would not be air conditioned I would have booked one that was. Yup that is what we did for the return trip. I does not give a very good impression.
Okay that moan out of the way, we could not say enough about the staff, they have got to be some of the best around and all the reviews are correct about them. Nothing is too much bother for them and they are eager to please the guests.
Rooms were exactly what you would expect in that part of the world and they were clean and comfortable. We had a beach front room and enjoyed the balcony in the late afternoon.
The all inclusive idea is great as this was our first time with an everything being paid up front. On the food side, well it was good but quite a few things were not to our taste but that is not a reflection on the hotel as we always managed to get something to eat and judging from the amount of food on some of the plates we were the odd ones out.
The whole setting is good.

• Stayed November 2010, travelled as a couple