“The best holiday experience ever”

Turtle Bay Beach Club
Ranked #13 of 26 Hotels in Watamu
Norwich, United Kingdom
“The best holiday experience ever”
Reviewed 7 January 2011

We were recommended Turtle Bay by repeater friends who we then met up with there. Having been told so many good things about hotel and the staff, our expectations were sky high and we werent disappointed. Within an hour of arriving we were by the pool like seasoned professionals. Nothing was stressy or a problem, the staff without exception are warm and chatty. Our air con was dripping water on the 2nd night, repair men came but couldnt sort so we were moved immediately. We did a 2 day safari to Voi Lodge booked with JOSEPH (Owino), who is usually on the beach, who was an absolute star. He took our son (White Masai!) under his wing and took every trouble to point out things of interest, stopping the bus while he fumbled with his camera etc. His wildlife knowledge was incredible and only he knew when we saw a lioness with a small kill that she would have cubs nearby for who the kill was practise (it wasnt dead, slightly offputting) and he led us straight to them. We went with repeater friends to the local orphanage in the hotel bus which one of the best experiences ever, the best bit of the holiday according to our 11 year old. Its worth the long trip and even the long bus ride from the airport to the resort was an experience in itself with the sights and sounds. We will certainly be returning asap to Turtle Bay.

• Stayed November 2010, travelled with family
2 Thank Fleagle28

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (239)
Stevenage
Reviewed 30 December 2010

We picked this hotel as it was one of the very few in Kenya that could cater for disabled travellers. We emailed alot before we booked to make sure that we could have evrything that we needed & were never made to feel like we were being a pain!
The only downside to the hotel is that it's 2hrs from Mombasa airport - we thought that we would use this time to sleep after our night flight but the country is amazing. There were so many things to look at that we couldn't close our eyes!
Once we got to the hotel the staff were there to help us in anyway that they could - this was the common theme throughout our stay.
Although we asked for a disabled room it wasn't really big enough for a wheelchair user to move around in - luckily my husband does have limited mobility. Our room was also at the top of the resort by reception, so we had a very long & steep hill to go up and down to the beach, pools, bar & restaurants. Again, one of the staff (Maasha) looked after us by pushing my hubby up and down it for 2 weeks!
Food was fab - hubby used to be a chef so this was a big concern for us! We couldn't fault it & didn't use any of the medicines we brought in anticipation! Michael in the restaurant reserved a table for us & helped hubby to get his dinner so I could get mine & then wheeled him to a table by the bar - their attitude is that we are on holiday so we should be relaxing!
Jonathon the barman is hilarious, very friendly & always had another drink on our table before we had finished the previous one! It is these touches that made our stay,.
A few people have commented on the returners & that they were favoured, we didn't see any of this but this may be becuase the hotel was only half full so the staff could concentrate on us all.
As with many hotels a few well placed tips guarantees the sunbeds, the drinks around the pool, the help that you may need but we didn't mind doing this.
We went on safari to Tsavo East & West which was very dusty & so we used the hotel laundry service - we have never used one before but would highly recommend this one! Very good value for money & my white vest came back like new!
I could write about this hotel all day but will just say that although the building may not be 5* the staffmore than make up for it!

• Stayed September 2010, travelled as a couple
2 Thank LouiseK78
Dubai
Reviewed 30 December 2010

Ten years back in December 2000 we tied the knot at TBBC. So what would we find now? Would revisiting the place with so many good memories live up to our expectations? These were questions we asked ourselves prior to booking at the TBBC. We were not disappointed and it felt like a continuation of our visit from the year 2000.

You have to remember that what makes your visit to TBBC are the staff. You couldn't meet a friendlier bunch and they are always smiling. The more you engage the more they want to make your stay extra special. So first off a big thank you to all the staff for making our stay perfect. A special thanks to the following:-

Wendu, Juma, Roy, Charo, Silas, Michael, Tony, Kerry, Hamish and Nancy the wedding coordinator that made our day special 10 years back. Really can't thank the staff enough for the attention we received.

We visited this time with our children aged 6 and 8 who also had an amazing time. As it was a special occasion we booked our safari through the hotel and again were delighted with the service we received, Tumu and her team provided all the answers to our questions and took care of all the arrangements.

The secret to enjoying TBBC is to relax, take your time and enjoy the happy friendly atmosphere and people that work there.

I would also recommend getting out and looking around Watamu and Timboni. If you can also try to visit the Sita Hidden Academy which is an Orphanage in desperate need of support. The children are beautiful and the Director Mr Wilfred Hare is doing the best job he can with limited resources. The Academy does not get many visitors as it is off the beaten track a bit. But please do not let that put you off.

All in all a great experience and highly recommended for families of all ages.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled with family
3 Thank Dxbreviewer1
UK
Reviewed 28 December 2010

Watamu is paradise with beautiful white powdery sand beach. the beach goes on forever and is safe to walk/jog on. hotel is lovely and our room (ocean front) was very spacious and lovely, stepping onto the beach. hotel was below capacity in early dec. food was good with good vegetarian choices. very relaxing place. also did diving with their dive shop which was amazing. would recommend the place. Do try the pizza restaurant which serves great pizza but not so great salads. a great view of beautiful birds nesting and making a great spectacle in the evenings

• Stayed December 2010, travelled with friends
2 Thank Globetrotter2008_9
Bristol
Reviewed 27 December 2010

We return from TBBC nearly a week ago now, missing it hugely! We booked the hotel through Thomas Cook, it was our final destination after an 8 day safari. What a hotel to finish with! It is fantastic! After reading a review on here I contacted the hotel personally to ask if I could have an upgrade to a sea view room. They did so much better than that. We had a huge room, a Lamu suite on the beach front. It was the top floor so had fab sea views (room was L43, well worth upgrading to). As it was our honeymoon they did it all for free. We had a big bowl of fruit in the room on arrival too which after a 5 hour drive from the mara to Niarobi and then a flight and a 2 hour transfer was appreciated greatly! The room was huge, it had a newly refurbed bathroom (twin sinks etc) a Queen size four poster bed and mozzie net and a lounge area.
The hotel itself is great. The staff and the service they give are second to none. They will do absolutely anything for you. They are always upbeat and willing to have a bit of a chat! We stationed ourself on the beach for the whole 6 days we were there and recieved fab service from Kadinge and Hamish. The water sports centre is good. There were people diving every morning at 7am. We had a go at the Kayak and the pedloes and my husband had the free windsurfing lesson.
Having spoken to several guests who had previously stayed at the hotel we were advised to book our snorkling trip with the boys on the beach instead of the hotel. This saved us £10 each! Apparently the hotel hires the same boats and equipment that the beach boys use anyway! Our snorkling trip was good although not long enough in my opinion. The little boat took us out to the coral garden where we had about 1.5 hours in the water. There was quite a lot to see! Parrot fish etc in abundance. I have snorkled alot in Sharm in Egypt and the snorkling here is now where near as good but it is still 100% worth doing. The beach boys also took us around the rockpools on the beach when the tide was out for a small fee. They showed us so much more than we ever would have seen without them! Thisis well worth the couple hundred shillings!
The food in the hotel was great, something different every night. No complaints all very tasty! We ate in the Blue Turtle Restuarant on 2 occasions (this is not part of the all inclusive offer). The food there is unbeliveable. We both had lobster on both occasions as it was so fantastic. It was great to be waiting on under the stars on the beach instead of being in the buffet restaurant! I would recommend this to everyone!
Lastly the beach is fantastic, bright white sand andperfect turquoise sea. I truely would recommend this hotel to everyone! We will be returning for our anniversary!

• Stayed December 2010, travelled as a couple
3 Thank holidayblue
U.K.
Reviewed 24 December 2010

This year we spent 3 weeks here and it just gets better and better. Its the staff that make this hotel what it is. I would like to thank some of them, Wendo for his teddy bear hugs, Silas for his lovely cocktails, Kenny, James etc. We cannot fault anyone. A special thank you to Christopher (rooms) nothing was too much trouble for him. To Bensen its always good to see him we feel we are all friends. This year I went off to the village quite a bit on my own and felt completely safe, on these trips I met some wonderful people whose names are now in my address book & we'll keep in touch. This little bit of Kenya has become so important to me and it feels like coming home. Everyone writes about the friendliness of the people but I've not yet found the words to describe the way it makes you feel when you are greeted like long lost family. Even the guys on the beach, I spent many hours just talking to them, I heard one woman when asked if she been harrassed on the beach only for her to reply ' you have to humour them' I felt angry about this comment, as my experience with the beach boys has been great, they know I come and talk and listen and don't buy anything until my last day unless I want something special, and usually what I buy is something small and costing little to US but it sometimes means they can buy lunch. I always find what they have say is interesting, funny, sad but always thought provoking. I count my blessings every day. As long as its possible for me I will always go back.

• Stayed December 2010
Cambridge, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 December 2010

from time of arrival friendly smiling faces and made very welcome. relax at the beautiful pool, laze on the beach, join in many games organised by the fun club for adults and children, very good beach walks by the club too. the service is excellent and you are well looked after. the most wonderful holiday i have had. the room was very clean, and the beds comfortable. lots of food to choose from, very tasty. you will love staying here too.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled with friends