Wildfitness - Baraka House
Sun Palm Beach Resort(Watamu)(Great Value!)
US$60
  • Beachfront
No availability for your dates from our partners
  • Beachfront
  • Pool
See what travellers are saying:
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 1 September 2013

I was looking for a total escape from my corporate life in London and found it in Kenya. Wildfitness offered just that and promised to transform me mentally and physically in the process.

Overall I was very impressed with the course on offer. The highly trained professional instructors, two Brits and and two Kenyans knew their stuff and got the balance right between pushing us reasonably hard and making the whole experience highly enjoyable. The HD video clip on their website is an accurate reflection of the sort of boxing, running, jumping, swimming and stretching exercises you will be doing.

The venue on the beach in Watamu is absolutely spot on and beautiful too. I was concerned about training in the heat, but the almost constant sea breeze and a carefully organised timetable didn't make this much of an issue.

Prospective attendees should be aware that the "Caveman" natural diet of nothing but fruit, fish, chicken, meat and veg really is strictly enforced. There isn't much opportunity to buy any chocolate or coffee nearby. Still it is worth sticking too and I felt pretty revitalised at the end of it. If you are a news / email junkie there is WI-FI, but as is often the case in Africa is can and will go down from time to time.

I chose the accommodation option near the pool about 300 metres from the main house on the beach. Though not a luxurious as the main building, it was nevertheless fine for my sleeping needs and fairly priced.

Finally I would also recommend tagging a few days safari onto the trip if this is your first time to Kenya.

Overall a great course, fairly priced and delivered by a team that are passionate about what they do. I hope to be back someday or attend one of their camps in Europe next time

Room Tip: If you want luxury go for a room in the main house. If you only want a place to crash out after a hard day's training, then the more basic rooms near the pool 300 m from the main house are a sensibly priced alternative
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled solo
5  Thank SW19man
Reviewed 19 August 2013

Two weeks in a "not-so wild" and yet, "not-so tamed" world…

I am partial to sub-saharian english speaking Africa. I discovered it 20 years ago and although I have lived abroad and travelled to all the other continents of our planet; I have been over there 3 times in the last 8 months! I am in love with its people, its smiles, its nature (fauna & flora), its skies, its colors, its landscapes, its oceans, its lifestyle, and all the impressions, the vibes and the energy it conveys to me … yet, having said that, the whole Wildfitness Watamu-Kenya experience dumbfounded me.

Although, I thought it was expensive (average of 250€ per day), I decided to treat myself and went for it. Of course, I expected quality, service, competence and beautiful surroundings; I did receive all that + a wonderful evergreen holistic concept tackling all facets of “a healthy mind in a healthy body” + real deep know-how and genuine competence from each person involved: coaches, house staff, management + renewed creativity in everything from food (“We are what we eat” - Aristotle!) to exercises, from stimulation to organisation, from planning to ‘freedom to be’.

It set new boundaries, not only to how good we human beings can be towards one another when we care to; but also to how high or far, we are capable of driving ourselves thanks to emulation, shared energy, proficiency, plays, laughs attention, kindliness, and respect for the individual each of us is.

We were surrounded and attended to, by approximately 20-22 persons; although we were only 7: 4 guys and 2 gals (spanning 34 to 41 years old, and me, 63 years old). My team members were faster, more enduring, more efficient in everything physical, with a more perfectly accented English (!), and less shy in interacting with one another. But I felt I belonged, perhaps because I am not classical or conformist (?), but certainly because all of them -mates & coaches- let me in and recognized without judgment, my measuring up to them, although in a different manner!

I am writing this 2 weeks after I left Baraka House i.e. I have had time to tell my friends, impress them with a newfound glow, and to sort out my perceptions and impressions, so, this is as pragmatic, objective and as little clinical as I can be.

All together, they taught me: “Angels can fly because they take themselves lightly” – Chesterton.

DS©-Belgium-Augsut 19, 2013

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled solo
2  Thank DomStoops
Reviewed 5 July 2013

Wildfitness run retreats in places other than Kenya and we went to Spain. The concept is great - natural movement, food and fun in a way that pushes all abilities and ensures improvement and skills to take home. The coaches were fantastic with excellent ratios and the activities were varied and conditioned all body parts including those we didnt know we had. The accomodation was perfect - great peaceful, rural location, nice room, and amazing food which had the benefit of being very healthy. Recommended for those looking for a unique fitness challenge in a stunning environment with the chance to meet some new like minded friends

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 24 June 2013

I must confess that I was in two minds about attending a Wildfitness holiday as, though I am an active person, I am certainly no gym bunny/fitness fanatic. My doubts were quickly overcome - a very talented group of trainers did a great job of motivating everyone to reach their own maximum. It did not feel competitive or like a boot camp - the emphasis was on having fun which got more out of everyone. There was some very fit people in my group and they felt just as challenged as everyone else.

The location certainly helped - I felt very energised by the daily blue skies, white sands and warm Indian ocean - having a dip in the sea at the end of a sweaty session was a perfect way to cool off.

The food was fantastic and menus carefully designed to nourish the body and support our training. The house staff did an excellent job of looking after us and coming back to a spotless room and comfy bed every day was heaven.

After the 9 day course I felt fitter, leaner and more energised. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend this to anyone who wants to take a bit of time out to look after themselves and have lots of fun on the way.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 14 May 2013

I came to Wildfitness at the end of a year that had seen me make great strides in my own personal fitness. I wanted to go on holiday somewhere a bit different to my normal destination (New York) and the programme seemed like a great way to maintain my newfound health. All I can say is that I'm so glad I did. My 9 day course helped consolidate my fitness levels and gave me a new lease of life - I can honestly say that during my time there I was the happiest I've ever been. The activities each day are fun and challenging, you're always learning something new, the food is excellent and the trainers are great at imparting their passion for all things fit and healthy. The location doesn't hurt either - it's hard to explain what a peaceful spot it is! I made great friends, learned so many new skills and can't wait to return to recharge once again in the very near future.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled solo