The name of this hotel conjured up visions of lary bare-chested sunburnt Brits sharing diving tips over endless beer.
Not the case.
This is a very laid back family friendly (and couple friendly) hotel which is equally welcoming of guests who wish to do no more sport than the 10 metre stroll to the (gorgeous and warm) water's edge. The bar and restaurant - which are very reasonably priced - look over the beachfront and are a wonderful place to while away a few hours with a cocktail or two in the sea breeze. There is a good swimming pool for when you want a change from the sea - but unlike in Malindi, where the beaches tend to be covered in seaweed, and offer little in the way of coves or visual interest- the sea here is calm, clear and beautiful.
if you do want to do sports the hotel can arrange various activities for you. We went sailing on a catermeran for a couple of hours. There is also a very interesting turtle sanctuary project down the road.
The rooms are pretty simple - but they are clean, and the aircon works and they all have view s out towards the beach. They're romantic in a simple way.
We booked half board - which I wouldn't bother with again. Its easier just to choose from the menu. Their airport transfers are also a bit pricey. If you're in the game of saving money (and experiencing a bit of 'the real Kenya') you can take a matatu from Watamu to right outside Malindi airport for about $1USD each. More money for cocktails!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The plaque on our famous 1952 bar boat states "Ian Pritchard sailed his boat through the reef and staked his claim right here. Cheers Ian!" And so the legend of Ocean Sports was born.Our ambiance is relaxed, friendly and barefoot chic. Frequented by a loyal following of East African residents and savvy overseas guests, many consider this being their second home.Located 20km south of Malindi Airport, within the protected Watamu Marine Reserve, our 30 rooms, suites and self catered cottage overlook Kenya's favorite, white sand beach.Our outdoor, ocean-side deck dinning venue is simply stunning! Freshly caught, sustainable seafood and local organic produce, inspired our French chef, Florian's new mouth watering menu choices. Delicious stone-oven piazzas and a 'daily specials' board, ensure something for all. Nature will nourish your soul! Our 14 acre plot boasts indigenous African fauna and wildlife that includes monkeys, bird-life and night bush babies. Low-tide reveals rock pool aquariums of sea life, crabs and even King George, our grumpy resident Moray eel! Turtles, dolphins and whales are observed further out to sea.Our name reflects our love of ocean activity and adventure. Deep sea fish with our professional charter boats to experience adrenalin hook ups. Blue water dive over sparkling coral reefs, all organized by our PADI scuba centre. Try kite-surfing, kayaking and boogie boarding - the ocean is your playground! Onshore we offer trail-biking, tennis, squash, hokey, beach volley and touch rugby. On weekends our resident DJ entertains all age groups in total harmony.We are "A small, stylish and sociable beach hotel for free spirits and active families in search of Africa" ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hotels.com, TripOnline SA, Odigeo, Jovago.com and Agoda so you can book your Ocean Sports Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Ocean Sports Hotel Watamu
- Ocean Sports Watamu
- Ocean Sports Resort Kenya/Watamu