Wow, what can I say, we last stayed at ocean sports 4 years ago, we have been there many times over the years and we were worrried at first that it would not be same as the old owners sold up, well we got a real shock ! the new improvements are amazing ! the decking extended over the beach is something else ! the food is superb, I,ll have to spend a lot of time in the gym to get rid of the pounds I put on ! the new manageress Helen is fantastic and could not do enough for us, enjoyed the entertainment, especially the quiz night , I,m usually not into this sort of thing but the compare Richard was hilarious, he,s a english man who retired out there a few years ago.
All in all we had a fabulous time and the sunday buffet,curry is still on and it was great to see many old friends again, we will be going back again sooner rather than later, still popular with fishermen and its good to see all the fish mounted in the bar, a rather new improved bar I might add but the boat is still in the bar ! I,m pleased about that ! its not lost any of its charm and we absolutely love it ! well done to the new owners, it must have cost them a fortune for all the improvements, our room was superb and the staff were polite and could not do enough for us, compliments to the diving school as well, had some of the best dives I have ever had in kenya (thanks steve)
The fishing was superb as always, the skipper I used to fish with had gone up country so I had to use a different outfit, well I hit gold, booked with a local skipper called Pete Darnborough (think that was his name) he has 2 boats, I went out on "alleycat" and caught my first marlin !!!!!!!!! thanks to Pete and his crew, I booked the fishing through Ocean sports and its some of the best I have exprienced anywhere in the world.
All in all one of our best holidays ever in kenya
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The plaque on our famous 1952 bar boat states "Ian Pritchard sailed his boat through the reef and staked his claim right here. Cheers Ian!" And so the legend of Ocean Sports was born.Our ambiance is relaxed, friendly and barefoot chic. Frequented by a loyal following of East African residents and savvy overseas guests, many consider this being their second home.Located 20km south of Malindi Airport, within the protected Watamu Marine Reserve, our 30 rooms, suites and self catered cottage overlook Kenya's favorite, white sand beach.Our outdoor, ocean-side deck dinning venue is simply stunning! Freshly caught, sustainable seafood and local organic produce, inspired our French chef, Florian's new mouth watering menu choices. Delicious stone-oven piazzas and a 'daily specials' board, ensure something for all. Nature will nourish your soul! Our 14 acre plot boasts indigenous African fauna and wildlife that includes monkeys, bird-life and night bush babies. Low-tide reveals rock pool aquariums of sea life, crabs and even King George, our grumpy resident Moray eel! Turtles, dolphins and whales are observed further out to sea.Our name reflects our love of ocean activity and adventure. Deep sea fish with our professional charter boats to experience adrenalin hook ups. Blue water dive over sparkling coral reefs, all organized by our PADI scuba centre. Try kite-surfing, kayaking and boogie boarding - the ocean is your playground! Onshore we offer trail-biking, tennis, squash, hokey, beach volley and touch rugby. On weekends our resident DJ entertains all age groups in total harmony.We are "A small, stylish and sociable beach hotel for free spirits and active families in search of Africa" ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hotels.com, TripOnline SA, Ebookers, Jovago.com and Odigeo so you can book your Ocean Sports Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Ocean Sports Hotel Watamu
- Ocean Sports Watamu
- Ocean Sports Resort Kenya/Watamu