After a failed attempt to find a decent place in Malindi, we heeded the advice of a friend and headed down to Ocean Sports in Watamu for three nights which ended up being very relaxing! The prices are quite reasonable. The place is right on the beach and has everything you need including comfortable rooms, A/C, pool and restaurant/bar. The beach area in front is wide and good for swimming, but it would have been nice if the place had chairs/umbrellas on the beach, as there was nowhere to sit on unless you bring a towel. Surprisingly, there were not many beach boys. If you want to go into town, it's a quick tuk tuk ride away.
I also tried out the spa - I got a body peel and an hour long massage. The massage was ok, and I think it was a bit less than hour, but the prices were still very reasonable (1500 for the massage) and the experience relaxing nevertheless.
The hotel claims it has WiFi in the restaurant area and internet in the rooms available upon the request. I did not ask for internet in the room, but the WiFi in the restaurant area did not work at all during the stay.
The management is great, as are the front desk staff. I have to say, the restaurant service was surprisingly subpar at best. Breakfast in particular was very slow each morning, and it took about 15 minutes just to flag down a waiter to give us a menu on the last day, even after wildly waving our arms to get someone's attention. Then it took another 15 minutes just for the first course to come out. Mistakes were also made frequently, even after clarifying the order several times. Service next door at Hemmingway's was remarkably better. I just say this because I found the service at Ocean Sports really frustrating, and for a place like this that has a lot of other things going for it, it's a shame that the service is not so great. Otherwise, the food is decent and the majority of staff are friendly and helpful.
So in summary:
-Rooms are comfortable and A/C is available
-Decent-sized pool with towels are available
-Friendly front desk staff and management
-AquaVentures is onsite if you would like to scuba dive
-Food/Beverage staff is generally subpar
-No beach chairs/umbrellas and the pool is often too overcrowded
Still a relaxing stay and great value for the money!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The plaque on our famous 1952 bar boat states "Ian Pritchard sailed his boat through the reef and staked his claim right here. Cheers Ian!" And so the legend of Ocean Sports was born.Our ambiance is relaxed, friendly and barefoot chic. Frequented by a loyal following of East African residents and savvy overseas guests, many consider this being their second home.Located 20km south of Malindi Airport, within the protected Watamu Marine Reserve, our 30 rooms, suites and self catered cottage overlook Kenya's favorite, white sand beach.Our outdoor, ocean-side deck dinning venue is simply stunning! Freshly caught, sustainable seafood and local organic produce, inspired our French chef, Florian's new mouth watering menu choices. Delicious stone-oven piazzas and a 'daily specials' board, ensure something for all. Nature will nourish your soul! Our 14 acre plot boasts indigenous African fauna and wildlife that includes monkeys, bird-life and night bush babies. Low-tide reveals rock pool aquariums of sea life, crabs and even King George, our grumpy resident Moray eel! Turtles, dolphins and whales are observed further out to sea.Our name reflects our love of ocean activity and adventure. Deep sea fish with our professional charter boats to experience adrenalin hook ups. Blue water dive over sparkling coral reefs, all organized by our PADI scuba centre. Try kite-surfing, kayaking and boogie boarding - the ocean is your playground! Onshore we offer trail-biking, tennis, squash, hokey, beach volley and touch rugby. On weekends our resident DJ entertains all age groups in total harmony.We are "A small, stylish and sociable beach hotel for free spirits and active families in search of Africa" ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Priceline, Jovago.com, Odigeo, Agoda and Ebookers so you can book your Ocean Sports Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Ocean Sports Hotel Watamu
- Ocean Sports Watamu
- Ocean Sports Resort Kenya/Watamu