I suppose its the fact that I have been there so often it never occurred to me to write about it. It's rather like reviewing your granny's house, it is always great, always welcoming and you are always happy to be there.
Set as it is on a beach that contains two other first class hotels, Ocean Sports could be considered as the poor relation but that would just not be true. Yes it is older than the others, almost a throwback to the old colonial days but that is its charm. It exudes an air of faded gentility which allows you to completely relax whilst you are there and really enjoy the experience.
It is also the chosen watering hole of the majority of the game fishing community which I have to admit was what drew me there in the first place.
Accommodation is more than adequate without being OTT and the food is always good. Florian has made great steps forward with the menu and the chefs have responded well.
The staff in general are hard working and anxious to provide a first class service which they invariably manage with a happy and smiling attitude.
Needless to say I shall be back for my annual months sabbatical next year so please join me, you won't regret it.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The plaque on our famous 1952 bar boat states "Ian Pritchard sailed his boat through the reef and staked his claim right here. Cheers Ian!" And so the legend of Ocean Sports was born.Our ambiance is relaxed, friendly and barefoot chic. Frequented by a loyal following of East African residents and savvy overseas guests, many consider this being their second home.Located 20km south of Malindi Airport, within the protected Watamu Marine Reserve, our 30 rooms, suites and self catered cottage overlook Kenya's favorite, white sand beach.Our outdoor, ocean-side deck dinning venue is simply stunning! Freshly caught, sustainable seafood and local organic produce, inspired our French chef, Florian's new mouth watering menu choices. Delicious stone-oven piazzas and a 'daily specials' board, ensure something for all. Nature will nourish your soul! Our 14 acre plot boasts indigenous African fauna and wildlife that includes monkeys, bird-life and night bush babies. Low-tide reveals rock pool aquariums of sea life, crabs and even King George, our grumpy resident Moray eel! Turtles, dolphins and whales are observed further out to sea.Our name reflects our love of ocean activity and adventure. Deep sea fish with our professional charter boats to experience adrenalin hook ups. Blue water dive over sparkling coral reefs, all organized by our PADI scuba centre. Try kite-surfing, kayaking and boogie boarding - the ocean is your playground! Onshore we offer trail-biking, tennis, squash, hokey, beach volley and touch rugby. On weekends our resident DJ entertains all age groups in total harmony.We are "A small, stylish and sociable beach hotel for free spirits and active families in search of Africa" ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, TripOnline SA, Booking.com, Jovago.com, Odigeo, Priceline and Agoda so you can book your Ocean Sports Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Ocean Sports Hotel Watamu
- Ocean Sports Watamu
- Ocean Sports Resort Kenya/Watamu