“Watamu, Whatever!”

Ranked #16 of 26 Hotels in Watamu
Bridlington, United Kingdom
“Watamu, Whatever!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 July 2014

I suppose its the fact that I have been there so often it never occurred to me to write about it. It's rather like reviewing your granny's house, it is always great, always welcoming and you are always happy to be there.
Set as it is on a beach that contains two other first class hotels, Ocean Sports could be considered as the poor relation but that would just not be true. Yes it is older than the others, almost a throwback to the old colonial days but that is its charm. It exudes an air of faded gentility which allows you to completely relax whilst you are there and really enjoy the experience.
It is also the chosen watering hole of the majority of the game fishing community which I have to admit was what drew me there in the first place.
Accommodation is more than adequate without being OTT and the food is always good. Florian has made great steps forward with the menu and the chefs have responded well.
The staff in general are hard working and anxious to provide a first class service which they invariably manage with a happy and smiling attitude.
Needless to say I shall be back for my annual months sabbatical next year so please join me, you won't regret it.

Room Tip: Just ask for a room, they are all good.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
Emilie B, Manager at Ocean Sports Resort, responded to this review, 22 August 2014
Michael, thank you so much for writing us a review, you manage to sum up exactly what Ocean Sports is and what makes it special. We're thrilled that you enjoy staying here and come back year after year. As always, we loved having you and look forward to your next visit.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
Manchester, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 June 2014

Been going to Watamu for 14 years as its my second home. Go to Ocean Sports most days for food and drinks, staff are friendly and so kind and most of them know me and my hubby very well and always feel very welcome, but this year in may don't know what has happened but they could not even supply my son with a plain omelette or pizza what is going on, ocean sports has a big pizza oven and don't make no more!!!! try telling your children this!!! what kitchen or chef do not have eggs?? Please change your menu or you might lose customers.!!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to review us on Trip Advisor. It is always to good to see what our customers enjoy and where we can make improvements. I am very sorry that you were disappointed on your last visit. Unfortunately my husband and I were on leave at the time so could not apologize to you in person. You will be happy to know that the pizza oven is up and running and hope that on your next visit to Watamu you will visit us again for a great lunch.
Destin
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 May 2014

We went to work at an orphanage in the area and this was our first time to Kenya. My first contact was with Thomas who helps with the desk and reservations. He did an outstanding job of reserving my rooms and arranging transportation from Mombassa.

Upon arrival he came by on his day off to make sure we made it in ok!

The rooms are basic but well kept and beds comfortable. Showers always worked and had hot water. I only say that because in out of the way places I have learned this can be an issue. It was a non-issue here.

It's also nice that there is a restaurant on the site. We ate most every meal at the restaurant and were satisfied with food and service each time. The servers went out of their way to take care of us.

There is wi-fi available in the Lobby/Bar area and it worked pretty well. I never had any issues getting on doing work I needed to do and to Skype back home.

The view of the Indian Ocean is great. It's amazing how much the tide goes in and out.

Since most of our time was work related I can't comment much on the "vacation" aspect of the area. Thomas did arrange a 4 wheeler expedition out into the forest to look for elephants one day which was nice. He even came along with us.

I'm sure anyone coming to Watamu for vacation looking for taxi or car service would be helped by the staff at Ocean Sports. They are very knowledgeable and willing to help.

I was there during the off season my comments are based on that. I believe it does get crowded during the peak season but that's for someone else to review.

All in all I would certainly stay there again and recommend it to anyone traveling to Watamu.

Room Tip: Rooms are in separate units. We had a 1 bed and 2 bed unit that were 1 building. I'm sure the st...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
Emilie B, Manager at Ocean Sports Resort, responded to this review, 14 June 2014
Thank you very much for taking the time to review Ocean Sports. It is always helpful for future guests to see what our past guests enjoyed about the hotel. My husband and I were away on leave when you stayed but I am happy to see that the staff, and especially Thomas looked after you well. I hope that you can return one day and that we meet you here then!
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 May 2014

Right on the beach with a great terrace restaurant overlooking Turtle Bay serving good food and very reasonable prices. The staff are very friendly and make you fell very welcome as well as being very efficient. Florian is a talented chef and produces great food some of which comes from his own kitchen garden. Hotel has great character and the feel of Africa of days gone by. Sports fishing, surf boards etc are all available. Highly Recommended.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
Thank you so much for taking the time to write a review. We are very glad that you enjoyed your stay and all that Ocean Sports and Watamu has to offer. From myself, Florian and all the staff, thanks again and hope to see you back soon.
Okemos, Michigan
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 May 2014

I last stayed here in the early 1990s; I loved it then, and still do. The staff is warm and helpful, the views are beautiful, the food is excellent, and it is very easy to arrange a host of varied activities.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
Thank you very much for your review of Ocean Sports. We are all very happy that after all these years you still love the hotel and Watamu. I hope your next visit will be sooner than the last!
Tampa, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 May 2014

Enjoyed a lovely lunch after a diving excursion, out to a local reef, great views, lovely friendly staff. Reception staff very helpful in organizing a tuk-tuk for me to go from there to the far end of the beach for kite surving.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends
Thanks very much for taking the time to write us a review. We're happy you enjoyed Watamu, the diving and your experience with Ocean Sports. I hope you are able to return one day for more diving and kitesurfing!
Maidstone, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 April 2014

We spent a week at Ocean Sports in early April to celebrate a wedding (not ours!). Owing to a few problems with our flights we were 24 hours late, but the warm welcome from Emilie and her staff together with the cold passion fruit juice on arrival helped us to forget the trouble we had had getting there. Overall, the staff were very fiendly and helpful, the view from our room (No 21) amazing and the food was really good. It was a great place to unwind and relax. The wedding was pretty good too! (Although Ocean Sports doesn't normally host weddings, they managed this one with aplomb.) We will definitely be coming back.

Room Tip: No 21 has a great view
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Thank you so much for the great review! We are all thrilled that you enjoyed your stay and room 21. It was a brilliant wedding, and lovely to meet all of you. Myself, Florian and all the staff hope to see you back here again one day!