“Great opportunity to meet with locals”

Mina's Cooking Classes
Ranked #1 of 17 things to do in Ko Yao Noi
London, United Kingdom
“Great opportunity to meet with locals”
Reviewed 2 May 2014

Me and my husband attended Mina's class with our two kids, 4 and 6. An other very nice lady from Norway I think was attending also. Mina gave us a very warm welcome, the experience was great for the reasons below:
The cooking class was very well organised, we could participate and every thing was explained step by step in good English (better than mine! I am French). Mina has an assistant who is very discrete, smiling and helpful.
We could try a very good fresh tasty food. Mina thought of the kids and prepared also something mild especially for them. As we did.
But what was the most important for us was the kindness of Mina. She told us about her story, her life, the customs of the island (mostly Muslims). Just ask her questions, she is happy to talk, but just if you ask, gently. You ll see she is a novel character.
Her house is great, very clean, lovely and typical of the island. We took it as an opportunity to be allowed in this house almost as friends. Well, I felt as we were friends.
The kids were very happy, when they got bored with the cooking (mines get easily bored), they went outside playing in a safe area.
Mina was patient enough to leave us time to take pictures at each steps of the cooking class. The pictures are really great: the colour of the food, the lovely house, the light, and...Mina's constant shiny smile. If you are looking for a peaceful, warm, authentic moment of sharing with someone you would have never met, go for it. My husband and I loved it and will never forget Mina neither her cooking. BTW, she keeps on sending us new recipes.

• Polish first
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“it's all about the color!”
Reviewed 29 April 2014 via mobile

now we know! it's all about the flavor and the color!
we had a great time at mina's house! she is a really good cooking teacher. we made a delicious glass noodle salad, deep fried fish in garlic and pepper, a green curry and sweet patatoes in a homemade coconut milk. we can't wait to try out again at home.
mina is a really friendly and warmly person, she knows a lot about fresh and traditional thai food and now we know as well
i can really recommend her cooking class and i am sure, that we will certainly make again a course at our next stay on koh yao noi!
mina, we wish you all the best for you and your family!
Manuela&Lorenzo from Switzerland

common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 12 helpful votes
“Brilliant”
Reviewed 17 March 2014 via mobile

Fantastic morning cooking a wide range of dishes, learning so much about using fresh ingredients. Mina is a great teacher in a relaxed and friendly way. A must when on the island.

Barcelona, Spain
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“I didn't know I could cook that good”
Reviewed 7 March 2014

I love Thai food and I love cooking so the minute I found about about Mina I was hooked. She checked for any food intolerances and preferences (in our case: lactose intolerance - not a problem as Thai cuisine doesn't usually use milk products / vegetarian) and prepared the menu accordingly. She gave a lot on information on the different ingredient as well as citing alternatives if they are not to be found back in our countries. The rest of the class then was hands-on: curry paste, coconut milk, sweet rice, spring rolls, ... we were impressed how much food you can prepare in just 2 hours (and how much you can actually eat once you are ready).
We had a lot of fun, Mina was amazing, the food was super yummy, and the cookbook we received will be put to good use in my home kitchen.

Vienna, Austria
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 20 helpful votes
“lovely welcome, great food”
Reviewed 1 February 2014

Mina is such a lovely and welcoming person. You can choose what you want to cook, mina will show and explain the ingredients and teach you how to cook thai meals. It is a nice place and a lot of fun. a little bit to expensive, better if you are more persons.

Visited March 2013