“fantastic cottage in a fantastic location”
Check Availability
Request to Book
Make Enquiry
Very good
This property is not available for these dates.
Show all rentals available

Reviews from our community

Any
sagababe
Scarborough
“Fumes spoilt our holiday, otherwise lovely cottage in a lovely village”
Reviewed 4 June 2015 for a stay in April 2015
people found this review helpful

The first time we used the bath in Peelers Cottage both my wife and myself felt unwell; the feature slipper bath was one of the reasons we choose Peelers Cottage. Whilst lying in the bath I became aware of a strange smell, initially I thought it was some cleaning products stored on some box casing approximately 18 inches from my head. The smell continued to intensify but at this stage my wife (who was also in the bathroom) couldn't smell anything. I was concerned and got out of the bath to look beneath it. I found it was quite dirty and mould growing on the wall (see pictures). I assumed those conditions were causing the smell and returned to the bath. However, the smell intensified and my wife was then able to detect it. We agreed it was gas that we could smell. I (and my wife to a lesser extent) felt a little light headed and nauseous. The exposed gas pipes lie directly underneath the bath (see pictures) and feed a combi-boiler which is located in the bathroom. I contacted the owner and informed her of the gas leak and that we were vacating the property as soon as we were able to do so. I also advised that I had opened all of the windows in the property to help the gas disperse. I explained that we felt unwell and would be traveling home. I also advised that we would like a full refund.

Approximately 10 minutes later the owners husband called and, despite the fact he was 70 miles away, claimed there probably wasn't a gas leak and there was no need for us to leave the property. Apparently several of his previous guests had contacted him with the same concerns and no leaks were found in the several ensuing visits by gas engineers. He explained the smell as being quite normal for propane gas. I advised him that as we were feeling unwell and felt the property was unsafe we would be leaving as soon as possible. Before we left I asked the owner whether I should contact him regarding a full refund or Sykes Cottages (through whom the holiday was booked) and was advised to contact Sykes Cottages. The owner did not advise me that he would not be refunding our money nor did he inform us he would be attempting to get a gas engineer out immediately. He did offer to put us up in B & B accommodation until the problem was rectified but we did not feel this offer was acceptable; we were feeling unwell and wanted to return home, we felt the property was unsafe, we had no idea how long we would be expected to stay in such temporary accommodation (nor did the owner) and we had our dog with us.

I contacted Sykes Cottages on the day we left Peelers Cottage - once we had arrived home. I was not contacted by either t h e owners or Sykes Cottages until 3.30 pm on the following day, i.e. the 20th April. During the following week I had 3 conversations with members of Sykes Cottages staff. Initially they refused a refund of any sort. Later they divulged that they had received an email from the owners which contained details of a gas engineers report. The report stated that no gas leak was found but that the system didn't conform to regulations; it didn't have a pressure testing point. The gas engineer issued an a risk warning for the system and instructed that a pressure test point must be installed. Although no gas leak was found the correspondence stated that there were "non combustible fumes" in the property. I asked Sykes Cottages staff if they thought it was acceptable for any of their customers to have to tolerate such fumes; fumes that made us feel unwell and were so strong we (and other guests) were convinced there was a gas leak. I was then offered a refund of £110. I rejected that offer and requested a full refund; that was the very least we would expect as we had been made to feel unwell and had had our holiday ruined. Sykes Cottages then stated that they would no longer be handling the complaint and that I should again contact the owners.

The owner repeatedly refused to refund our money and claims to have obtained legal advice regarding the matter. However, once we issued a Court Claim we did receive a full refund. I do not think it is acceptable for us (or any of their guests) to be exposed to "non combustible fumes" of any sort. We are obviously not the first guests to have complained about fumes. We most certainly have no desire to return to a property where the owners maintain there is nothing wrong yet we may at any time be exposed to fumes that make us feel unwell. We are left wondering how guests are expected to tell the difference between the smell of these fumes and that of an actual gas leak should one occur.

Travelling group: Spouse/Partner
Would you recommend this hotel to a friend?   No.
Management Response
3 Sep 2015
Thank you for your review. We assure you we take all feedback, especially when health and safety issues are raised, very seriously. We have spoken with the owner and have taken the time to examine all of the reports left by the engineer who performed the safety inspection. We can assure you that no leak of any kind was found and the gas system passed all of its safety checks. The only issue raised was to fit a pressure testing point, which has now been fitted, however the engineer was able to use a “sniffer” to perform the tests - your safety was never in question. Since your stay to the date of this reply (30 July)we’ve had 8 other parties stay at Peelerss Cottage and we haven’t had a single other complaint. We’re very sorry that you felt unwell during your stay and had to cut your holiday short.
virginiam...
Derbyshire, United Kingdom
“fantastic cottage in a fantastic location”
Reviewed 29 May 2015 for a stay in May 2015

just spent a lovely week at peelers cottage, the cottage itself is warm and cosy , from the minute we got here we have had such a good time, ideal location for all the walks in the area, all the pubs are very friendly serving excellent food , especially The Queen Catherine.the hamper was a lovely touch, everything you could wish for in a cottage and more , will be really sad to leave but we are returning in july and we can not wait.

Bathroom cleanliness Other facilities & amenities
Liked best: the log burner, location of cottage , the welcome hamper
Liked least: nothing, everything was fantastic
Jsmallwoo...
“Amazing stay”
Reviewed 11 January 2015 for a stay in January 2015

Just came back from two nights at Peelers Cottage. very well resourced, really comfy and cosy. Very welcoming hamper on arrival and an amazing log burner for cosy winter nights. Highly recommend this cottage.

Bathroom cleanliness Other facilities & amenities
Liked best: The cosy and romantic atmosphere
Robert B
Doncaster, United Kingdom
“Very comfortable cottage in good location”
Reviewed 16 July 2014 for a stay in June 2014

Stayed for 4 nights and found this cottage to be well set up for visitors. All 3 pubs in village were good for food and plenty of walks direct from door. Didn't use wood burner but there was plenty of fuel supplied

karfyff
Doncaster, United Kingdom
“a bit of heaven here on earth”
Reviewed 21 June 2014 for a stay in June 2014

lovely cottage in a lovely village. very cosy cottage, nice garden and surroundings. great base for a walking break. 3 pubs nearby and a nice village feel. nice welcome pack on arrival, owners make sure you have everything you need in the cottage.

Bathroom cleanliness Other facilities & amenities
Liked best: the position of the cottage in the village
Liked least: coming home!!!
  • Did the property offer wi-fi/internet access?
Enter dates for more accurate prices
2 guests
Adults2
Children0
Apply
Do you own a holiday rental? List it here.
Extra income
Easy to manage
Trusted by travellers
Set up your free listing