Parkdean - Sundrum Castle Holiday Park
US$57
Travelodge
US$81
PremierInn.com
Western House Hotel(Ayr)(Great Value!)
US$87
US$111
US$107
US$94
US$91
All reviewspark deanswimming pooltam o shanterplay parkkids entertainmentlovely parkthe outdoor play areaheads of ayr farm parkfootball pitchnight time entertainmentpirate petesthe kids lovedcaravan was spotlessly cleancentral heatingberth caravanhappy holidaysminute drive
Reviewed 4 November 2012

nice tidy park, great location, pool good, tam o shanter bar nice but only one lager ??? carling yuk! arcade needs up-dating. entertainment was pretty good for kids and ok for adults. our weather was awful heavy rain all week but no ones fault. little grass verge outside our caravan was tretcherous very dark walking back to caravan pot holes in road no seperate pathway!
Only complaints were getting hold of reception late on was impossible, when my partner slipped on the grass verge edge i tried to inform them but got passed onto security who then passed me on to a mobile who told me to leave a voicemail ALL automated messages.
She ended up in hospital with morphine injections for the pain due to torn ligaments and muscle in her thighs on crutches for 4 to six weeks.
one final thing a male lifeguard was dozing off due either to alcohol or something else ?? !!

our caravan Number 6 had awful condensation issues there was mildew on the curtains, the upholstery was ripped in places and the tops of the cushions got very damp often.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 14 October 2012

We had a two night stay in our own tourer. Check in was fast and efficient. The park has been well thought out with the tourers being sited close to the complex, in which the amenities are kept. There is a restaurant and a takeaway there, the food was so good in the restaurant that we never tried the takeaway. Staff are all very nice . My son enjoyed the pool which even has a flume.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 29 September 2012

We went Monday to Friday on the Sun holidays and were totally expecting a dump and that it would be run down due to the time of the month, especially after some of the reviews on here. However, we were pleasantly surprised. The caravan was lovely and clean, although due to our own fault we were frozen until the Wednesday after accidentally we came across heaters in the rooms.The entertainment was entertaining especially for my 3 year old who loved Sid & Lizzie, and Nikki one of the reps was especially nice and helpful. The bar and shop are extortionate as you expect and its a drawback if you dont have a car and have kids because if you don't plan on staying on site all holiday, then you've a 15 minute walk into Coylton, and there is no path beside the busy road. It was heavy rain during our stay so I imagine we would have been bogging on reaching the town and thats before going anywhere. I thoroughly recommend going into Girvan where there is a lovely swing park and a great restaurant The Harbourhead Restaurant which is very reasonable but we just had tea and scones and I have to say we all agreed we'd never had a scone like it. Also there is Heads of Ayr farm, expensive but wee one enjoyed it and the adults weren't bored either. The swing park at Ayr beach too.All in all, I would come again.

Room Tip: We got a no pet/smoking caravan which i think helped.
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 24 September 2012

This is a kid's entertainment park and nothing more. We were there with a tent, looking to camp. They would not let us pay the price of caravan site in order to get power. The tent sites are just about in the middle of the parking lot, if you want a flat spot, absolutely on a side hill if you want to be away from the cars. We wanted power to charge our phone and were told to come into the bar to do that. Wingell, the bar was insane. It was full of Xfactor wannabes first playing to the kids, then switch to punish the adults. The only people in the place were staff or people related to the "band". There was one outlet for power. The only lights in the bar were beer signs and a disco ball. The entertainment was terrible - all I wanted to do was charge my phone.

ZERO caravan sites were used the night we were there. There was no reason that we could not have pitched our tent in one of those sites and everyone would have been happy. Again, I offered to pay the difference tent vs caravan price. The staff were not at all interested in helping us. They had rules to follow.

To be fair, this was our first Parkdean visit. We now know better. They are not for campers. If you want to go stay in a mobile home and let your kids play video games all day, then by all means, this is the place for you (I would not be surprised to hear that this camp had over 100 video games on offer - I did not ask for the exact number). If you want to go camping and actually see some trees and experience a wee bit of camping, then try somewhere else.

Room Tip: This is a mobile home park, not a campsite.
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Riverbend88
Reviewed 24 September 2012

We had a fantastic holiday, the park is located 4 miles from Ayr and there are many things a short drive away.

POSITIVES:
BOOKING: This was very easy, the lady on the phone was most helpful. We were booking two caravans at short notice and she managed to get two next to each other which was nice.

CARAVANS: The caravans weren't that nice but they were clean and tidy which was good. For the price we paid I didn't expect 5 star luxury.

ENTERTAINMENT: The on-site entertainment was amazing for the twins, they run a group for children 0-4years on a morning, we took the twins one morning and the lady was most helpful, she got a play mat for the twins out on the floor, and baby toys. There was something for children on every morning and evening.

FOOD: The restaurant was a little pricey but worth every penny - lovely food.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
NOT SO POSITIVE POINTS!
FACILITIES: I have 5 month old twin girls and the main reason for booking Sundrum Castle was it's on site swimming pool which is a fantastic facility but FREEZING! We stayed 4 nights in total and tried the baby pool on 3 different days on both mornings and afternoons and it was unbearably cold for me and dad, never mind the poor babies who could only tolerate about 10 minutes in the water before shivering.
This was the biggest let down for me as this was one of the main reasons for booking this site. The main attendant couldn't care less and we felt a burden. The changing facilities were poor, we had to change the babies on the floor of the main area for changing, until another attendant told us there was a changing bed in the disabled loo. There was only one baby change so it was a nightmare trying to get them both warm quickly after the freezing water.

SLEEP: or lack of, the beds were the most uncomfortable things I have ever slept on! We had to make our own beds which was nightmare after a 5 hour journey but never mind!

SERVICE & HELPFULNESS: The power was disconnected for the whole day on the Tuesday (9am-4.30pm) - I needed to make baby bottles and asked if there was somewhere I could get hot water for the twins bottles and they told me to buy matches to light the gas cooker to boil water, I didn't like the sound of this and asked for a flask and was told no. So therefore we had to go into Ayr to get hot water from a cafe.

WIFI: Rubbish, I couldn't get signal unless you sat right on top of the bar where the modem was! This was a let down as I needed to check emails etc and was unable to do so unless I sat in the bar.
---------------------------------------------------------
OVERALL: value for money and we did thoroughly enjoy ourselves. I will wait until the twins are a lot older before taking them again if we decide to go back.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled with family