“Filthy!” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of Parkdean - Sundrum Castle Holiday Park

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Coylton
Parkdean - Sundrum Castle Holiday Park
“Filthy!”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 August 2013

Fag buts everywhere,left overs on outside tables.no swing in park for toddlers nothing really in the park, pretty poor.staff act as if they dont care dont want to be there.i got barked at by a member of staff when i complained why did all the children have to q outside the big lounge in a crushed area in the heat , they were all starting to get upset, there was no need!? There was a 45-1hr wait on food, not acceptable as the place was nt that busy,however the food was good.the flume was leaking big black puddle driping away! was so dissapointed my childs first holiday - place was filthy n nothing for her. A great place to go with kids is however heads of ayre park now thats a great place ! 10 minute drive away. Ill never go back to sundrum castle.

• Stayed July 2013
5 Thank notgivingin

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (36)
Glasgow, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 July 2013

We have just returned from a camping holiday weekend to Sundrum. Not our first time we go about this time every year. we have also rented caravan before also. This time around my daughter fell at the park and broke her arm so spent the end of our holiday in the hospital. The staff at sundrum were just superb especially the manager on that evening david. Not only did he drive us to the hospital but he couldnt have been any kinder to my daughter. we have always loved the park and how well it caters to our 3 children ages 10,6 and 3 but now we know we defo will be returning just because of the kind caring attitudes of the staff. oh and im sure my daughter will be bringing her lizzie teddy (that they gave her) along as it hasnt left her side went to xray and everything with her lol.

Glasgow, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 July 2013

I have just returned back from sundrum ,this was my 1st time there as usually go to haven,sundrum is a lot more peaceful than haven,and is a bit cleaner,
when we arrived the staff in reception were excellent and happy,we got our keks a bit earlier than we should have which.the caravan was ok wasn't the cleanest or newest caravan but was acceptable.
the entertainment during the week was ok,the kids entertainment wasn't too bad but the adults was ok and did try hard although they are not the best singers.
the arcade I couldn't thank enough after seeing the poor guy get abuse from someone that was trying there luck as I was playing on the bandit next to them they never won what he claimed but the staff member stuck up and checked the machine n never paid the guy out,
however I collected toys from the SMALL prize shop which only opens 2 hours per day which is a bit crap,but when I went to get the last 1 it was sold out ,but the arcades man went to another holiday park on his own time and gave me it on my last day,so all I can say is these guys have a hard job as theres too many people out there trying to con them even if it is 1 pound
overall yes I think I might return next year it is what u pay for small a peaceful

1 Thank john_h186534
Derry, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 July 2013

***WARNING*** the sole reason we won't be returning is the attitude of the staff working in the amusment area. I would advise you to stay with your children at all times as when something does go wrong or there is a problem with the machines they make you feel like you are trying to steal £1 from them and believe me my 6 year old son and his 7 year old friend do not need to rob the arcade of a total of £3 during the week stay. I was both offended and angered that they made these boys feel this way, for example one time the bottom half of a machine was turned on (you know, the part were the children automatically put in thier coins) and lit up, however when I went to ask the arcade assistant for the pound to be returned he stated that the top half of the machine was turned off!!!!! On another occassion when the bowling didn't work (£2) and we eventually found the man and took him back to the area, which was probably 5 minutes, someone else was on the machine so we were told "Well it's working now!" An absolute disgrace and terrible customer service. I don't mind writing about this, however some people would keep quiet and just not bother to return.
Second bad point the general cleanliness of the public areas. Every time we were sitting down be it in the restaurant, outdoor seating or the bar/club area we would have to clear our own table and ask for it to be cleaned. The toilets were acceptable at the begining of the evening but by the end they were awful. I understand that the other guests are responsible for this, however the staff are there to help the guests like ourselves tha thave paid to be here without it being filthy.

The swimming pool is in sessions which limits you, however there are plenty of these a day, but you must plan your day around the sessions and the pool has no graduated area going straight into a 120cm shallow end which is no good for smaller less confident swimmers.

The caravan itself was exceptional. It was clean well equiped and had plenty of storage. The grass area to the side was perfect for sitting out on and you weren't too close to the neigbouring caravans. Yes it was a touch dated but value for money and well maintained.

The entertanment staff were great and playing to a very difficult audience, I'm sure you can't please everyone and they tried to engage with everyone at all sorts of levels. My only negative waws that we weren't very well informed of what was going on at what time.

The receptionists were helpful and warm as we found were all the staff except the amusement arcade assisitants.

The loacation was great and central to explore Ayr and 40 minutes from Glasgow. Really beautiful surrounding areas.

The shop was expensive, but that is to be expected and the hours were very limited. The shop closed at 6! If you forgot anything or had been out for the day you couldn't even get a take out from the bar to sit in your caravan!!!

Overall we enjoyed our week and would havereturned as it really is value for money. Shame but we won't return all due to £3 that we were clearly trying to con the place out of!

1 Thank Fizzybutterfly1
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 July 2013

The caravan was clean apart from some very old dirt along the skirting walls of the caravan. There was no oven trays, and the quality of the cooking utensils could have been better. The small table in the caravan could barely fit 5 never mind 8. The curtains were very thin which allowed in light from sunrise, waking everyone very early. There was a gap in the door although it wasn't cold or windy so it didn't affect us too much. You have to go through the amusements to get to any other source of entertainment they are very busy and every machine seems to be turned up full blast which scared my children and my autistic niece! The kintyre room was dark, dingy and very loud and the entertainment team seemed to love the sound of their own voice only made worse by the level they had the microphone. Again my niece was freaked out and would not go in, so we could not enjoy the entertainment area. There were too many tables placed into the room so getting around was difficult. The toilets in this area started out clean at the beginning of every day then worsened over the duration of our stay, I noticed that the cleaning schedule was only checked at 9am and it was now 7:30pm. the swimming pool is run in sessions which is annoying as you have to plan your day around the pool times and now how you want. For example you couldn't go for a swim until 9:30 am, and you could only stay in for 1hour. The flume is only open at certain times too. I also had a bad experience with a member of staff when we played the family quiz. When reading out the questions he said " I don't know who wrote these, but the spelling is bloody ridiculous" not professional at all or considerate to the autor of the quiz who may have learning difficulties. When the quiz was finished I lay down my paper and pen and got my son to take my sheet to the dj box. the quiz caller shouted directly at me and said Oi now Google you cheat! I was so embarrassed as I had only picked up my phone to respond to a text from my mother. My phone had been in my pocket the whole time, and I had already handed in my sheet. Why I told him I wasn't cheating he called me a liar embarrassing my further. It turned out our team won the quiz and he shouted out " who are ticket tastic" when I placed my hand in the air he said "you've won come get your prize" in a very abrupt manner. This embarrassed me further as I felt like everyone was looking at me and felt we were undeserving because he accused me of cheating. I felt so uncomfortable after that I had to leave. I took my 2 boys to the kids club, and they didn't even ask us to fill out a registration form or ask for any allergy or medical information. My son has asthma so I felt I could'n leave alone with the 2 very young girls. My sons are 7 and 9 and the kids club ran from ages 4 - 10 which caused problems with the activities as a 4 year old and a 9 year old are into different things. When I say fun stay it was only fun because we made it fun ourselves. We paid £300 for this holiday!!! I could have stayed in the premiere inn for £149.00!!

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Team-yate-johnson

Travellers are raving about these Coylton hotels

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 June 2013 via mobile

We have been the past four years. This year we booked through the sun holidays for the Mon-fri. I phoned up a few weeks before to see what caravan we were allocated to they told us a dun Donald that it was unlikely to change. I got a phone call on the Friday before we were due to arrive saying we could upgrade to a dun Donald for £160. I was not amused I explained the situation to the guys the phone who then offered me the Gleneagles caravan from the Sat to Fri for 80. I said I couldn't because we had booked a hotel for the races on Sat and couldn't get there until Sunday. Then he offered me the extra night In thesee Gleneagles for 40. Big difference from 160 to the second lowest caravan no extra nights to being put in the second highest plus extra night for 40. A bit too fly park Dean. Site is good. Entertainments not great.

• Stayed July 2012
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 June 2013

Have been here 3 times. October 2012, march 2013 , and June 2013. (sun£9.50)
It is a small, clean , well maintained caravan site where I have never experienced any rowdy behaviour or louts etc. The staff are very pleasant. the location is only suitable for those with a car as quite remote, but a nice quiet country area.
There is not a lot to do on site, - there is an adequate swimming pool( bit cold) , a small playpark (could do with maintenance) , AstroTurf, mini golf ( not challenging to say the least).. , small arcade room with mini bowling alley which is good, usual machines etc.
CARAVANS - I highly recommend the newer models of Gleneagles and turnberry caravans. My first visit was sun £9.50 and I didn't upgrade and the caravan was older,still nice but slightly run Down ( mouldy curtains,single glazed,windows running, freezing,broken handles etc) HOWEVER.. I upgraded THROUGH sundrum direct 2nd and 3rd sun £9.50 holidays and had AMAZING caravans. ....TURNBERRY 2013 MODEL,impeccable plasma on wall plenty space , cozy and finished to very high standard. GLENEAGLES 2012 MODEL, Double room with ensuite at one end and two single rooms and second showeroom at other end,smaller living space,but stunning and comes with decking and outdoor furniture. I can't compliment the housekeeping team enough, thouroughly cleaned and looked after vans . Nothing out of place. You won't be disappointed if you upgrade.
e
ENTERTAINMENT - I took my toddler , for him during the day all there is is a tots club at 10am .. He was the only kid,or there was 2/3 each morning and its not great really..few pens n paper etc.
Evening , I WAS HIGHLY DISAPPOINTED with the way the entertainment schedules we wer given were not followed.. Kids characters SID N LIZZIE were never out when promised which ruined my sons holiday really . If they did come out it wasn't for as long as scheduled,or only one of them would..for 10 min etc..and after winding kids up and getting them.hyper,along comes bingo for adults in same room and kids are constantly told to be quiet as people take bingo seriously.. kids are given paper and crayons and expected to be quiet for ages.. Unfair! Kids entertainment not good enough.
Adult entertainment ok. Lynsey is a good singer.. The others not so much! Feels as if full effort only put into entertaining if its very busy,which is wrong.
RESTAURANT- nice food. Was angry full menu wasn't available in june..only a laminated sheet of a handful of basic meals. Waited too long for food but staff were polite and apologetic.
Arcade staff not so approachable..
Overall a nice clean,maintained ,very quiet , relaxing park. Good for very young families. Or older couples seeking quiet retreat.
Not enough sid and Lizzie for children. Need to re think childrens entertainment.

Hints and tips : ayr beachfront great day out 10 min drive, lovely beach.
PIRATE PETES SOFT PLAY on beach front.AMAZING. a must for people with kids.. Childrens paradise!! Cheap entry. Very clean. Great food .
HEADS OF AYR FARM PARK -another must see. Expensive but worth every penny. Fabulous day out. Animals well kept. So much to.do indoors and out.

Have a nice holiday

• Stayed June 2013
3 Thank sidandlizzie

Been to Parkdean - Sundrum Castle Holiday Park? Share your experiences!