“SUNDRUM CASTLE...A WEE GEM”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Coylton
Parkdean - Sundrum Castle Holiday Park
Reviewed 18 July 2014

Friendly staff,nice weather and surroundings in sunny Ayrshire..great wee break for 4 days.Food was very good except for one night where the prawns were missing from our meal which was reported to member of staff who the came back with them after we had virtually finished our meal !!!! Surely the meals should have been taken away and brought back with said prawns added ?!?!?!?!? Not Impressed but still enjoyed our break...as I said a quieter park but a wee gem...Would stay again.....

Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Alex G
Chevon M, Manager at Parkdean - Sundrum Castle Holiday Park, responded to this reviewResponded 12 August 2014

Thanks for sharing your experience with us.

We're sorry to hear about the service provided within the restaurant and we will share your comments with the team.

Overall we're pleased you enjoyed your stay and we hope to welcome you back soon.

Reviewed 13 July 2014 via mobile

Great site for families with small kids. Facilities not the best compared to camping and caravan club sites we have stayed at, not cleaned often enough and only 2 showers. Had a fish supper from takeaway was lovely. Music from entertainment could be heard but not too loud and went off not long after 11pm. Really good play park and kids entertainment ok but staff seemed un-interested. Bingo cost £6.50 wish I hadnt bothered waiting in the massive queue for it!

Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank AngelaGlasgow
Chevon M, Manager at Parkdean - Sundrum Castle Holiday Park, responded to this reviewResponded 18 July 2014

Thanks for your review, we appreciate you taking the time to share your experience with us and others.

Reviewed 13 July 2014

We holidayed here in July for 4 nights and had a great visit it was ideal for us as we have a 3yr old and a 6week old. The caravan was great, modern and had double glazing, although we had more bother cooling it down as it was in the twenties all week! The pool was near by which was good to take our toddler to every morning there was lots of amusements in the arcade but was more for older kids. Ayr beach was only a short drive away (10mins)and with weather being great we went there everyday, the out door park there was very busy everyday and you have to be there early if you want it a bit quieter.
We only ate once at the site restaurant and it was ok, but in my view they should perhaps reduce the menu size and focus on a core of really good meals, but never the less it was standard pub food in my view.
The night time entertainment was good with our son at the age of starting to take part in the disco/games etc, and they got a good 1 1/2 of it, there was also daytime activities but we never took him to them so cannot comment.

Stayed: July 2014
3  Thank Neil M

Thank you for your review.

We're glad to hear you enjoyed your stay and of course the sunshine. We appreciate your comments regarding our restaurant menu and we've shared your comments with our retail team.

We hope to welcome you back soon,

Reviewed 30 June 2014

While the park was spotless and the caravan itself also immaculately clean the facilities on offer at the time we stayed left a lot to be desired. We (6 of us) booked in on Monday 23/06/2014 for a 4 night stay which was paid for using the Sun Newspaper tokens. It was a cheap wee break and we weren't looking for 5 star service but we did hope for better facilities than what was on offer.

After initially paying the fee of £93 to The Sun Newspaper I received an e-mail some time later from Parkdean Leisure stating that if I still wanted to go on the break I would have to settle my account. I phoned and was told there was an additional £97 still to pay which was for bedding, linen and entertainment passes. This brought the total to £190 which is still a paltry sum when you consider there was 6 of us going so happy days or so we thought.

The day prior to leaving I again receive an e-mail stating that check in times for the caravans were 4pm and we were advised to be prompt as the caravans were allocated on a first come first served basis. This made me a tad nervous as I had booked for 6 of us and paid for bedding, linen and entertainment passes based on this so surely it didn't matter what time we arrived as they knew we needed a caravan for 6. I phone the park to try and explain that surely we must be guaranteed a caravan which sleeps 6 to be greeted by what can only be described as a salesman as he gives it the patter and says "I'll see what I can do for you mate," as he ruffles around for a few seconds and says "you're in luck mate, I've managed to get you a deluxe blah, blah blah etc etc etc" and I'm thinking good on you mate until he says "for upgrading to this it's only an extra £180." I say "no way pal, we'll just take our chances tomorrow" and without giving it a single second he says "I can do it for half that then, only £90." I tell him politely where to go.

As we arrive it turns out I needn't have had any reservations as the caravan easily slept 6 and was spotlessly clean too. After a drink on the Monday night we take the kids to the restaurant the following morning for breakfast to be informed that they didn't do breakfasts so we head to reception and ask where else on the site could we purchase breakfast to be told nowhere as the on site restaurant didn't do them until the following week when the schools were on holiday. We ask the receptionist what time time the bus was due so we could head into Ayr for breakfast again to be told the bus service didn't start until the following week too. We're thinking we'll just skip brekkie then and just wait until the chip shop opens and guess what? The chip shop doesn't open until the following week either. You couldn't make it up. When my partner won £27 from the amusement arcade later that evening and the machine jammed without paying out she was informed that the arcade was nothing to do with Parkdean and that she'd have to wait until the guy came in that night at 5pm. Needless to say 5pm became 6pm, then 7pm though to be fair after much huffing and puffing and a few verbal exchanges she was finally paid out at around 10pm.

The younger kids were okay as there was a basic play area and a small pitch and put to keep them entertained in between them ploughing their pocket money into the arcade machines but for the teenagers in the party their was very little if anything to keep them occupied. The old saying is a holiday is what you make of it and to be fair we had a great time but that was mainly down to us keeping ourselves entertained rather than any facilities on offer. My favourite parts of the wee break were when we took a couple of trips into Ayr town Centre and that kind of sums it up to be honest. Sorry guys but Craig Tara and Haven for us next time.

8  Thank 294Del_boy
Reviewed 30 June 2014

Took my 9 year old and his friend for a Mon- Frid break. First time at this site and was also travelling by public transport . Very easy access from Ayr train station - £10 in a taxi and then used buses to get into Ayr. Reception staff gave easy directions to the village of Coylton.

Staff were all very helpful and the site was spotlessly clean. Boys used the swimming and football park both of which were included in the entertainment passes - not so for the crazy golf although it stated on website it was included at £1.50 each child and a deposit bit of a rip off. I had a got a bargain when booking or so i thought but the amount of cash spent on machines offset the bargain - this was despite the fact we were out at the beach in Ayr for a full day! If you don't want to be bankrupt you need to set a limit and stick to it! Didn't eat in the bar but had a few nice coffees. Took most of our food with us and bought only a few things from the shop which was usual over priced to be expected on a caravan site. The site is ideal for families with children but not much for teenagers,a medium sized site and easy for kids to be given some freedom. Much preferred to Craig Tara and would return. Had tried to upgrade our caravan when booking and couldn't but the caravan we got was excellent , well equiped and spacious.

Room Tip: If you want quiet ask for a caravan at the end of the rows
3  Thank MMA502912
Reviewed 29 June 2014

We decided to book a short break at Sundrum because we'd really enjoyed holidays there a few years ago (pre-dog), however .... we booked via a Sun offer and I was somewhat shocked to hear there was a £30 charge to bring our dog (only £20 with Haven!) however I'd no choice as we had to take her. When we arrived I was rather disappointed to be allocated, only what I can descibe as, a "worn" caravan with dog hairs stuck in the carpet. As I am allergic to dog hair I have chosen a dog that doesn't shed her hair so I was even more annoyed by this.
The next day we wandered down to the restaurant fully expecting to be able to sit outside and have lunch, only to find that dogs are not allowed in the outdoor eating area !... we were able to sit out on the path at a table (in full view of the public but with no umbrella, it was a sunny day) so just went back to the caravan. I must say that the staff are all very nice and helpful,the site is clean and tidy, and the chip shop (since we couldn't eat at the restaurant) was great. However, in future we'll be driving a few extra miles to stay at the more dog friendly Craig Tara

Room Tip: Good for families but don't take your dog
2  Thank Su317
Reviewed 28 June 2014 via mobile

Just back from a fantastic week at sundrum. We stayed in a prestwick caravan which was really nice, very well equipped and double bed really comfy. Our 3 girls ranging in age from 2-6 years had a ball. So much to do on the park. Would recommend the outdoor play area at ayr beach and heads of ayr farm for great days out. Hope to go back to sundrum soon!

Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Coylton
Western House Hotel
Savoy Park Hotel
#1 of 17 in Ayr
Craig Tara Holiday Park - Haven
Trump Turnberry, A Luxury Collection Resort, Scotland

Been to Parkdean - Sundrum Castle Holiday Park? Share your experiences!