“Hidden Gem - Nothing quite like it!”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Caledon
Rouxwil Country House
Ranked #1 of 11 Caledon B&B and Inns
Reviewed 27 April 2014

I've been putting off writing a review mainly for selfish reasons. If I tell everybody how fantastic Rouxwil is, then we might not get to stay here when we come back next year. Thys & O'nel are delightful and in line with all the other contributors we were killed with kindness and genuine affection from our hosts. Nothing is too much to ask and they are so giving to provide a holiday experience of a lifetime. We are well traveled, but Rouxwil has to rate as one of the best places we have been lucky enough to find. Do bother going there, I will tell you about it again next time!

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank jaydewe
There are newer reviews for Rouxwil Country House

Reviewed 24 March 2014

This was my third visit to Rouxwil and this time I brought my parents along to share the perfection of Rouxwil.
It started off with a raft trip, 10 minutes after we had arrived. Thys was his usual convivial self, entertaining us on the river trip, but also telling us about the river and the wildlife, with a glass of wine and nibbles of course!
I stayed in the new pool room - wow! it's beautiful, French country cottage style. It also has an outdoor shower - try it, it's naughty but nice! It has a large kitchen area, with a fridge filled with wine/beers/soft drinks but it's large enough to chill your own too. Then there's lots of lotions and potions in the bathroom, a girl's heaven and big fluffy towels
As usual the food O'nel served up was delicious - proper fine country food. I love sitting with the other guests and chatting about the day and life in their countries. Try and stay when Thys does his braii. I guarantee you will have a very entertaining night.
I cannot find a negative word to say about Rouxwil, Thys and O'nel know how to get I just right, a balance of being friends but helping you out with lunch spots and places to visits. Sometimes you forget this is a large working farm.
The highlight for my dad was feeding the Eland apples - something he is unlikely to ever do again.
I will keep returning here on every trip to the Western Cape, but worried that all the rooms might be full!
Lastly a special thanks to O'nels' wonderful staff and in particular Patrick, who brought me a gin and tonic while I laid around the pool

Room Tip: New pool room is beautiful but all the rooms are good
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank lisasplaces
Reviewed 12 March 2014

This was our fourth visit to this wonderful oasis of happiness and I am sure we shall be visiting again many more times. Our hosts (or should I say friends) are above and beyond what you would normally expect and nothing is ever too much trouble. O'nel's imaginative and delicious food never fails to surprise, nor do her table settings, and Thys's repartee and humour make for a very happy time. We stayed for five nights in the newest room (The Pool Room) and it was barely long enough. We were there to celebrate our 25th Wedding Anniversary and were made to feel very very special. The trouble is the more people who know about this place, the harder it will be to get in!

Room Tip: The five suites are the best rooms, but if you can only get one of the smaller rooms, take it, you w...
Reviewed 7 March 2014

We stayed here for 2 nights coming straight from the airport.Takes about 1 hour.We arrived slightly early but it was no problem the rooms were ready and what rooms they were - fantastic.The size of the rooms are great and the outlook brilliant.We were welcomed by O.nel and Thys and immediately offered refreshing drinks.We stayed by the pool that afternoon relaxing,which was just right after a long flight.We had the evening meal both nights which along with the breakfasts were very nice.Hot freshly baked scones with homemade jam - delicious. It is a nice easy drive to Hermanus from the farm and also Betty`s Bay to see the wonderful penguins.
We were made to feel very welcome and really enjoyed the stay.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 28 February 2014

we made our annual visit to onel and thys who run this wonderful guest house alongside their large farm.
we had another of their large air conditioned suites which are really well equipped and laid out with stunning views over the fields and mountains.
thys took us on an educating trip of his successful farm and showed us his sheep shearing and breeding (he has approx. 3000 sheep) and his neighbour interesting fruit orchards.
the evening meals and breakfasts are excellent but we did miss thys river trip and barbecue this year.
we really like this guest house and is a great finale to our annual holiday in south Africa.

Room Tip: rooms overlooking own game park
Reviewed 23 February 2014

We stayed here three nights, the first of which was a small room near the main house, but we knew that when we booked. We were moved without fuss to room 3, which was stunning, huge, armchairs and a kitchenette and fridge. The service was faultless with nibbles arriving at tea time and, one day, a plate of melon at lunchtime. Dinner was with all the other guests, convivial with loads of laughs. Food was very very good. The wildlife in the nearby paddock kept us mesmerised for hours. If I had to pick a negative, and really i am being picky, dinner went on for hours and we didn't finish eating until after 10pm which is very late for us - sad people we are!!!!
Thank you o'nel and thys, especially for collecting a package of forgotten clothes at the post office for us and then taking my ipad cable to vergelegen. Forgetful old duffer I am!!!

Reviewed 20 February 2014

Fabulous and a real gem of a place to stay. You are on a working farm and the luxury hillside suites are excellent. Spacious with a lovely bathroom with bath and walk in shower. The welcome we received from Thys and O'nel was matchless. When we arrived we were offered a drink so asked for a glass of wine. A bottle of Sauvignon Blanc on ice subsequently arrived which we drank sitting on the patio outside our room looking at the glorious view and the game. You dine together with the other guests for breakfast and dinner. Hardly surprising most of the guests are on repeat visits - as we will be next year

2  Thank Neville G
Also consider these accommodations in or near Caledon
Caledon Hotel, Spa, Casino
#2 of 5 in Caledon
No photo provided
Die Pastorie
#1 of 5 in Caledon

Been to Rouxwil Country House? Share your experiences!