The Old School Bed and Breakfast and Betty's Cottage
Ranked #1 of 5 Holmrook B&B and Inns
Reviewed 1 October 2013

There's not a lot more to add that hasn't already been said about this wonderful B&B. Fantastic location, surrounded by the most stunning scenery, we were made to feel welcome from the moment we arrived, greeted on the drive by Bruce the smiling black lab and Lesley who has to be the best landlady ever. So many lovely touches , nothing too much trouble. We were blessed with blue skies and warm sunshine and had to drag ourselves away at the end of the weekend. I will gladly recommend this special place to friends, family and anyone else who asks.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Deb A

Reviewed 19 September 2013

What can I say, I can't rave enough about Betty's Cottage. Beautiful old building, pretty and cosy furnishings. Fresh flowers, a welcome pack and a warm, friendly welcome from 'Mugsy' and Bruce the black lab. The area is gorgeous, I wish the weather had been better and we could have used the private patio area as it was lovely. Perfectly situated for climbing the Scafells etc. We will be coming back!!

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Anna69uk
Reviewed 17 September 2013

my boyfriend and I stayed here again for our 1 year anniversary. all I can say it was like going to a home away from home. Lesley and her hubby are the most welcoming people you will ever meet. Bruce, Louis and Lucy are a joy to be around aswell.
There is nothing here that I can fault.
We will deffo be going a 3rd and 4th and 5th time - even more hopefully!
The food is spectacular and even though its a bed and breakfast - when we ordered take out, Lesley set up the table outside in the sunset for a fine detailed, romantic meal, instead of a take out meal.
Nothing seems to be too much trouble for Lesley, her sister at the Woodlands Tea Room is also just as lovely and so are all the people around.
We climbed scafell pike and Lesley made us up a packed lunch to take up with us and it was well worth the money and kept us going on the treacherous journey!
The surroundings are breath taking, especially around wastewater - which we swam in!
Over all experience: amazing. its our little haven, to distress and spend a romantic time away, with great company and a great place to stay.

I don't really know what else I can put as like I said I cannot fault a single thing.

Truly Beautiful - if I could live here I would!

Room Tip: we have stayed in the Muncaster Suit both times, but from what I have seen both rooms are flawless...
1  Thank LucyMary91
Reviewed 16 August 2013

The Old School is the best accommodation we've ever experienced. The setting is terrific, between the mountains on one side and the sea on the other. It is within a short drive of Wasdale, so it was ideal for our hike up Scafell Pike.

We were greeted with culinary delights as soon as we arrived, and our hosts really pulled out all the stops from start to finish to make sure our stay was absolutely perfect - all the way down to them leaving a birthday card and a bottle of fizz in the room for my birthday. There were chocolates on the pillows, luxury shower gel, and all sorts of other little touches throughout our stay that really made it perfect. I really can't state enough how welcome we felt; it was an absolute pleasure to be there.

The accommodation itself was luxurious, with tasteful decor throughout, and it was all impeccably clean. The bed was extremely comfortable and it was all we could do to prise ourselves out of it to go out walking. We could have happily stayed there all day.

The food was all homemade and delicious, right down to the packed lunches they made for us to take on our hike - even the bread for the sandwiches was home-baked. The full Lakeland breakfasts were tremendous too. Top marks all round.

We've already started recommending The Old School to friends and family, and we wouldn’t hesitate to stay there again.

Reviewed 7 August 2013

Astonishing attention to detail. Superb service. Lesley is the most thoughtful host I've ever stayed with.

Rooms spotless and full of nice touches.

Bathroom was very well appointed with more towels than we could use. A variety of toiletries provided.

The four-poster bed overflowed with cushions. Chocolates, home made flapjack and banana liquor were in our room on arrival.

The chest of drawers in our room contained loads of walking guides.

Free bottles of water in the fridge outside our room.

The breakfast was delicious with huge variety and more than enough of everything.

Mentioning Lesley's name at the local inn got us 10% off their very nice food with massive portions. Her sister's tea room down the road offers the same discount off their already low prices and their takeaway sandwiches are delicious.

I could keep going for a while. In short, I'll be surprised if I find another B&B as good as this.

(For things I didn't mention, see review from "Dilys T", with whom we shared breakfast on our weekend there.)

Room Tip: There are two rooms and both are lovely.
Reviewed 6 August 2013

My wife and I recently stayed with at the Old School in the king bedroom and were very pleased with the overall experience. The location is fantastic for exlporing a more quiet side of the Lake District and the facilities were second to none. I have stayed in many B&Bs over the years and this was my best experience to date.

Lesley made us feel right at home from the very minute we stepped foot into the Old School (converted Churh and School). The building is very special and the host provided some extras that you would not expect in a routine B&B experience. Her local knowledge was also very useful to us and we felt as if we were part of the family when we left the next morning.

The experience was fantastic. We will come again.

Joel and Annabel Weaver

Room Tip: Both rooms are certainly excellent, but if you want a bit more room to spread out, I would suggest t...
Reviewed 6 August 2013

We have just returned from a wonderful 3 night stay at The Old School and really feel relaxed and refreshed! The warm welcome on arrival from Lesley was so lovely, our room was superb, so comfy and peaceful, it was hard to get out of bed but so glad we did because the breakfasts were delicious with homemade bread and fresh locally sourced food. Nothing was too much trouble for our hosts and everything was thought of, even a lovely lavender pillow spray! Homemade cakes everyday in our room were lovely, yummy! Bruce, the dog ........ such a charmer, he actually smiles!! The Old School is wonderfully placed in a quiet lane away from the busy summer traffic elswhere but well positioned to visit lots of lovely places around. We felt so welcome in Lesley and John's beautiful home and wouldn't hesitate to book again!! Thank you both for a truly relaxing stay with lovely little extras not found elsewhere! Oh, don't forget to visit the Woodlands Tea Room and Gift shop nearby, so nice, not to be missed.