The Old School Bed and Breakfast and Betty's Cottage
If you like this hotel, you might also be interested in
The Pennington(Ravenglass)
US$153
  • Breakfast included
Priceline
The Manor(St Bees)
Seacote Hotel(St Bees)
TripAdvisor
All reviewshomemade breadattention to detailb bhome madeon arrivalcakelittle touchesporridgelake districtfudgebreakfast was deliciouswarm welcomelocal pubgreat hostsbooking tablesfresh flowerslong drive
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 10 October 2013

this was the best B&B ever.Very comfortable room lovely and clean.We were made very welcome the breakfast was wonderful all home cooking. The setting was stunning . Lots of things to see and do out and about. Quite a long drive from the M6 but well worth it.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank VivienneandRob
Reviewed 1 October 2013

There's not a lot more to add that hasn't already been said about this wonderful B&B. Fantastic location, surrounded by the most stunning scenery, we were made to feel welcome from the moment we arrived, greeted on the drive by Bruce the smiling black lab and Lesley who has to be the best landlady ever. So many lovely touches , nothing too much trouble. We were blessed with blue skies and warm sunshine and had to drag ourselves away at the end of the weekend. I will gladly recommend this special place to friends, family and anyone else who asks.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Deb A
Reviewed 19 September 2013

What can I say, I can't rave enough about Betty's Cottage. Beautiful old building, pretty and cosy furnishings. Fresh flowers, a welcome pack and a warm, friendly welcome from 'Mugsy' and Bruce the black lab. The area is gorgeous, I wish the weather had been better and we could have used the private patio area as it was lovely. Perfectly situated for climbing the Scafells etc. We will be coming back!!

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Anna69uk
Reviewed 17 September 2013

my boyfriend and I stayed here again for our 1 year anniversary. all I can say it was like going to a home away from home. Lesley and her hubby are the most welcoming people you will ever meet. Bruce, Louis and Lucy are a joy to be around aswell.
There is nothing here that I can fault.
We will deffo be going a 3rd and 4th and 5th time - even more hopefully!
The food is spectacular and even though its a bed and breakfast - when we ordered take out, Lesley set up the table outside in the sunset for a fine detailed, romantic meal, instead of a take out meal.
Nothing seems to be too much trouble for Lesley, her sister at the Woodlands Tea Room is also just as lovely and so are all the people around.
We climbed scafell pike and Lesley made us up a packed lunch to take up with us and it was well worth the money and kept us going on the treacherous journey!
The surroundings are breath taking, especially around wastewater - which we swam in!
Over all experience: amazing. its our little haven, to distress and spend a romantic time away, with great company and a great place to stay.

I don't really know what else I can put as like I said I cannot fault a single thing.

Truly Beautiful - if I could live here I would!

Room Tip: we have stayed in the Muncaster Suit both times, but from what I have seen both rooms are flawless, just Muncaster has a little more about it and is larger.
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank LucyMary91
Reviewed 16 August 2013

The Old School is the best accommodation we've ever experienced. The setting is terrific, between the mountains on one side and the sea on the other. It is within a short drive of Wasdale, so it was ideal for our hike up Scafell Pike.

We were greeted with culinary delights as soon as we arrived, and our hosts really pulled out all the stops from start to finish to make sure our stay was absolutely perfect - all the way down to them leaving a birthday card and a bottle of fizz in the room for my birthday. There were chocolates on the pillows, luxury shower gel, and all sorts of other little touches throughout our stay that really made it perfect. I really can't state enough how welcome we felt; it was an absolute pleasure to be there.

The accommodation itself was luxurious, with tasteful decor throughout, and it was all impeccably clean. The bed was extremely comfortable and it was all we could do to prise ourselves out of it to go out walking. We could have happily stayed there all day.

The food was all homemade and delicious, right down to the packed lunches they made for us to take on our hike - even the bread for the sandwiches was home-baked. The full Lakeland breakfasts were tremendous too. Top marks all round.

We've already started recommending The Old School to friends and family, and we wouldn’t hesitate to stay there again.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple