“Just for coffee with great view when the weather is good!”
2 of 5 bubbles Review of Le Viu

Le Viu
Price range: US$49 - US$58
Cuisines: French, European
Good for: Child-friendly, Romantic, Special Occasion Dining, Business meetings
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Brunch, Dinner, Lunch, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Annecy, France
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Just for coffee with great view when the weather is good!”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 November 2013

Once upon a time... we had a couple (60+) with a short visit at our place (they are friends of our parents, so you can imagine all other conventionals of this visit) + they are well-experienced travellers of 5 stars hotels, let's say like this....). And It was rain and cold... that's why we decided that this restaurant in classical Palace could be a good idea to have a dinner. Logical...?;) Ok, me and my husband were ready to "sacrifice ourself" to old fashioned decorations and meals. Why not..? Sometimes its nice..;). But nobody could imagine that everything from the quite sophisticated menu we discovered in front of the Palace (foi gras, puree de celery...+a lot of magic words ...) comes from micro oven.... You know, If you cook you never mistake with the difference! And the plate you warm with 4-5 products on it at the same time looks...by certain way... We were so upset!
In conclusion: you have great view, waiters are polite and well-trained, modern design of the restaurant coasts a lot.. And it's clear that any professional chief created a very attractive menu for this place. You really like it when you read it. There is everything you would like to try! You relaxe...everything goes well...But few minutes after (around 30, you see, they keep traditions- officially it's not a fast food))) you find the meal cooked not for you, but probably in a couple of days in advance. Who knows? For 40-50- euro (price for persone without drinks) it's a little be too much, isn't it?! .ok, it was low season, winter. But I' m sure there are different ways of managing the restaurants during low season...
After this experience I never returned to this place for dinner .... But it's not a matter of season, just of reputation.

• Visited December 2012

Geneva, Switzerland
“Rudest maître de salle ever”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 November 2012

We, two couples, went there in August 2012. We had booked two days before and drove there from Geneva.

Upon our arrival the maître de salle told us that there was no reservation. In case you do not know, it takes one hour drive to arrive there from Geneva, and, definitely, I do not want to drive that long just to have a look if there is a free table. We reserved, no discussion.

I tried to make my point to the maître and he said that our name was not on his book, the restaurant was fully booked, and there was nothing he could do. I insisted stressing the fact that we were coming from Geneva and they must have made a mistake. The only thing the maître did was repeat the refrain: the restaurant was fully booked, and there was nothing he could do. It was clear we were not going to go any further with the maître. I made clear that we were extremely disappointed and "displeased" (to put it in a nice way) and that we would have appreciated some more participation to our case, like saying he was sorry or at least pretending he was making the effort to think of any accommodation. The only think he could say was: "Well I am sorry". Period. Nothing else. I was furious. I told him he was an idiot and left.

My wife, decided to plead our case a bit longer and very calmly exposed again our point of view. He definitely did not appreciate it, got mad, and said: "There is no reservation, the restaurant is fully booked, there is nothing I can do, leave!" Leave?!?!?! I firmly believe that in any case the maître de salle of a five star restaurant should not be that rude and should know how to behave (Possibly, should also speak a better English).

I wanted to leave immediately the hotel but my wife wanted to complain with the concierge. The concierge called the head chef on the phone to repeat the story and asked us to wait for the head chef. The head chef was very nice and polite. The first thing he said was: "I am sorry, we must have made a mistake". Then he told that unfortunately the restaurant was fully booked and there was nothing he could do about that, but also said that there was a second restaurant in the hotel and he proposed us to have dinner there and that he would have offered us aperitif and appetizer. We accepted his offer and he kept being very nice with us coming twice to our table checking directly whether everything was ok for us, and the same did the maître de salle of the second restaurant. Do you think the maître de salle of "Le Viu" could have made the effort to look for such backup solution?

In the end our evening was saved, but we have been really astonished how incredibly rude the maître de salle of "Le Viu" was.

• Visited August 2012
1 Thank fra8372
Jacksonville, Florida
“Great food with a fantastic view!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 November 2012

The food is delicious and presented artfully. The atmosphere and scenic view of the lake are truly unique, too.

Visited October 2012
“Turned away”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 August 2012

We arrived by foot on a wet day at 13.50. They advertise they stop serving at 14.00. Although there appeared to be empty seats in the restaurant and the bar we were told we could not be served.

1 Thank Luke_and_Leah