“good basic accommodation”

Premiere Classe Dunkerque Est - Armbouts Cappel
Ranked #3 of 3 Hotels in Armbouts-Cappel
Reviewed 3 August 2013

a shower and toilet in your room was a big plus point and good basic breakfast food available. My tomtom satnav did not pinpoint the hotel it left me in an area about 1 mile away but after about an hour of searching we found it.
I thought the accommodation was good value and would stay again and and try other premier classe hotels in the future as first choice for good value basic accommodation

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com
ERIC C, Gérant at Premiere Classe Dunkerque Est - Armbouts Cappel, responded to this reviewResponded 11 October 2015

Hi
Thank you for have given your opinion about the hotel.
We are please to see that everything was like you wanted.

Reviewed 29 July 2013

We booked 2 rooms both triple rooms. We booked the rooms via booking.com which is relevant as I based my decision on the information on booking.com - there appeared to be a choice of configuration of the triple rooms - either a double and a single or a double and a bunk over the double. I booked 2 rooms in the double and single combination as my mother was travelling with us and would not be able to climb in to a bunk bed. After checking in and being allocated top floor rooms - we climbed the steel external staircase to the 3rd floor and found that we had been given bunk beds. I went to reception to get this swapped, only to be told that this was the only combination at this hotel - booking.com were at fault nothing they could do about it. This may be the case and i have taken this up with booking.com.

Sadly this wasn't the only problem with this hotel - the air conditioning was not working - as we had booked 2 rooms and it wasn't working in both rooms and having spoken to a a few more people then this was not just a maintenance problem - the air conditioning had been switched off in all rooms for some reason - and it was 30 degrees so not pleasant. Still - at least there was a vented shutter that could be closed over the window so you could leave the window open - except the security latch was broken so we couldn't

It appeared that everyone was having similar problems keeping cool and the result was that people were sitting outside their rooms on the external steel stair cases and drinking beer - some of them until 4 in the morning

Still - at least there was WiFi - ah - no - that was also not working

The bathroom was very small and showering was difficult and the floor got very wet - and only 2 towels in a triple room. again this was in both rooms so probably not a mistake.

OK - so I should probably try and balance this review up and add some positives

The TV worked,
The room was cheap

We paid an extra 5 euros and had breakfast which was a continental buffet - not a great selection but it was OK.

There is a hotel complex next door with a restaurant and they offer a 15% discount on the food if you are stopping at the premiere classe hotel.
We ate their and it was a nice meal - especially the dessert buffet - unfortunately when you eat in the Campanile hotels restaurant you have to go through their reception and then you see for the same price you paid to stop at the premiere classe you could have stopped in the Campanile - with bigger rooms - working WiFi, air conditioning, a manned reception, windows that lock and no street part outside until 4am

To summarise - I didn't feel safe when I was stopping at this hotel - I didn't feel my car was safe - I didn't feel my family was safe - I am 6 foot 2 and well built and can take care of myself and there are few places I have stayed that made me feel like that but this was one. Perhaps it is not normally like this but the lack of 24 hour staff on site (I think reception closes at 2100 and then it is automated check in) doesn't help. As there are other budget hotels in this area then i strongly suggest that you chose one of them instead of this hotel until they address the many issues with maintenance and service.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family

Reviewed 20 June 2013

Linens not clean, cigar roles on the linens, small room and bathroom, TV and internet doesn't work, internet very slow. Good staff! I don't recommend you to stay in this hotel, you have other options near this location to try.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with family

Reviewed 2 June 2013

this hotel is great for a stopover very clean staff very helpful shower and toilet in room and heating if needed in room.very nice area beside a lake based inbetween dunkerque and Calais.breakfast is basic but adequate.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with friends

First I would like to thank you for leaving a comment on the website.
We are please to see that you were enjoy about your stay and hope to see again

Reviewed 1 June 2013

When I paid 30euros I was expecting a basic room. However being clean and feeling safe should not come at a cost! We were late to the hotel, so we rang reception to tell them that we would be late; they told us they couldn't speak English and hung up which was no help whatsoever. We pulled up to what looked like a three storey portakabin and were given rooms on the third floor. The room was small and basic which was understandable given the price that we paid. The door didn't lock properly and I felt very unsafe in the room. There was dust, cobwebs and curly hairs all around the room and bathroom. One of the lights above the bed didn't work. I kept waking up in the night due to how unsafe I felt; I couldn't wait to leave and get on my way to centre parcs in holland.
Choose another hotel in this area, I will be sure to never use this chain of hotels again.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with family

Reviewed 6 November 2012

Arrived and picked this hotel as sign said Premier Inn. I thought it would be like the ones in the UK. How wrong was I. Got checked in and went to the room, when I opened the door I had to step back due to the pungent oder of toilet cleaner. When I stepped into the the room itself I foune I was in a plastic box, with a plastic box inside foe the shower and toilet. I will not make this mistake again.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled solo

First I would like to thank you for leaving a comment on the website.
We are sorry and I apologize for the problem you had .
We will be please to see you again for a next stay.
regards

Reviewed 29 October 2012

I've stayed in Premiere Classe hotels before and was expecting cheap and cheerful, and at the least a clean, budget stay. At 41 euros for a double for the night it fit the budget but the experience was fairly awful.

It had been raining before and during my arrival and the room I was allocated was on the 1st floor of this motel style hotel (no internal corridors, rooms opened onto a path next to the carpark or a landing on the 1st floor) where there was a blocked downpipe with water cascading down onto a metal fire escape with a very loud clattering sound. Fortunately the hotel were happy to switch me to a different room. My 2nd room was on the ground floor. Upon entering I discovered the following: One of the lights didn't work, the bathroom had a brown scum all the way around it, the shower curtain was rusted onto its rail and wouldn't pull round, the basin had cigarette burns and lots of other damage, the soap dispenser had detached from the wall and was lying in 2 pieces on the floor and finally the room had no soundproofing whatsoever. Until about 2am I could hear the people on the floor above coming in and out of their rooms, what sounded like furniture being dragged around and what I can only guess were the industrial washers that I think were behind my room (room 7).

The only redeeming factors were that the bed was comfy & warm and the budget breakfast was great (3 types of bread, a madiera cake, various jams, nutella, yoghurts, fruit compote and Tropicana juice, tea, coffee all for just 5 euros).

I make the trip between the UK and France often as I live in the French Alps but I can safely say I will NEVER stay in this hotel again and would not recommend it to anyone.

Room Tip: Don't choose a room in this hotel!!!