“Great value if you don't need a city centre” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hotel Escale Oceania Brest

Hotel Escale Oceania Brest
Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Gouesnou
Cotonou, Benin
“Great value if you don't need a city centre”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 July 2014

So there we were looking on StreetView to check out the industrial area around the B&B group hotel on the outskirts of Brest at Guesnou when we noticed the Escale Oceania Hotel next door. A quick check suggested that it was probably a cut above the B&B and for only 7 euros extra for a Sunday night stay in June (€59 + 2.20 tax). We were very pleased that we made the booking because, although breakfast pushed the extra up another 8 euros over a B&B, the package was well worth the difference over a B&B.

For the start, there was plenty of parking with decent size bays, a spacious reception/bar area and a very decent-size room. The bathroom had all that was needed with a big power showerhead, mirrors and hair drier, with a separate lavatory. Everything was clean and didn’t have that tired look that often goes with well-used hotels on French industrial areas. The only downside was that the air conditioning was ineffective and we noticed that our room and, presumably, the other occupied rooms on the first floor had been left with windows open on a very hot afternoon. Reception staff was also helpful as it was Sunday night and the restaurant was not open. Unfortunately, on following the recommendation to eat in the Campanile next door, we arrived a couple of minutes after a coach deposited a big party of hungry Brits and realized we would not get served for an hour or more.

Instead, we drove out of the estate, turned left and five minutes down the road found a burger joint, an Asian restaurant and our choice, a very nice Flunch cafeteria (with young staff keen to use English), which allowed us to have a welcome light meal of a starter and a pudding. Breakfast at the Oceania turned out to be big on choice for 11 euros each and a very pleasant meal with a hot option. It was noticeable that non-residents were coming in for their breakfast meetings so it obviously has a local reputation.

We shall happily stay again at the Escale Oceania in Brest and certainly try other hotels in the group. It is not just handy for the airport but there is a tram service on the edge of the industrial estate that presumably runs into the city centre and could be a good way of having a look around Brest.

Room Tip: In hot spells, insist on a room where the A/C has some effect
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank ceciliami

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
Zoersel, Belgium
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 June 2013

Like another reviewer wrote, this is a former Novotel and this means spacious rooms and a good infrastructure. Staff was very nice, breakfast (buffet) more than average, but only the location is poor in the weekend: the hotel restaurant is closed and there is really nothing where you can walk.
Even with a car, the closest restaurant is a "Courte Paille", which is just a chain restaurant.
If they opened the restaurant in the weekends, the place would be perfect.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank focus1965
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 May 2013

We booked the hotel for a vacation in Brest throw orbitz website, we were three families of 2 adults each and three children, aged 1,2,3,3,5,6, 8,11 & 11 yours. We booked four rooms for the the whole group, as we were advised by the receptionist and confirmed by orbits that children goes for free. After we checked in, at the time, nothing was discussed with us about the number of hosts, but, at the afternoon duty shift changed, the lady at the reception claimed that this is the first time the hotel receives this number of children, and she asked us to pay supplementary charges for one children, and that payment for any children takes breakfast. At the night, as there was youth party in the hotel, the fire Alarm went on two times in 30 minutes after midnight, as the youth smoked in the "non-smoking" facility. Every time we take the children out, and trying them to sleep again, while the hotel didn't apologize for such behavior! At the check out, the bar lady, working for the breakfast came and claimed the the total group took breakfast, including the one years old infant! Which was not true, the worse was her words and behavior, she lacks the skills needed for a decent talk with hotel guests, she repeated several times, we never had this number of children ! We asked for hotel manager or duty manager of the first day, the answer was they're sleeping!
In summary, only one staff at this hotel was showing good behavior, while three others were totally unfriendly and not trust worthy.
I strongly recommend the hotel management and ownership and tourism office to look at the behavior of the staff of this hotel

• Stayed May 2013
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
fperhirin, Directeur général at Hotel Escale Oceania Brest, responded to this review, 28 May 2013
Dear Sir,

First of all, I apologize for your being unsatisfied during your stay in our hotel, on May 18th.

I read your email and had more information with my staff and it's difficult to establish responsability. We are at our clients' entire disposal and always do our best to satisfy them.

I'm afraid the problem with your reservation is that no child had been booked, and for safety reasons, we are not allowed to accommodate so many children in one room.
My front office team tried to do their best concerning this.

As far as breakfast is concerned, you have to know that children sharing their parents' room and under 12 years old (maximum 2 children who can be accommodated in SUITE type of room or communicating rooms) have free breakfast. In our standard rooms with sofa armchair (only some of our rooms do have a sofa armchair) 2 adults an 1 child are allowed to be accomodated.

You were 15 guests - 6 adults and 9 children and the reservation was originally only for 8 persons. So it was standard to charge you for 4 extra breakfasts. The bar lady tried to apply our sales' conditions and I'm really sorry that there were communication problems regarding this.

To sum up, I would like to inform you that I will train and discuss with my team their behaviour, but I'm sure they did their best to find the best solution for you whilst also respecting our sales' conditions.

Kindest regards,
Marc COSQUERIC- HOTEL MANAGER
London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 May 2013

Normally I am a big advocate for the Oceania chain because they are normally quite good. A gentleman wrote that he was pleased to have English speaking channels, not in my case. I could not find any but I certainly found English shows spoken in French, even using the adjustment on the remote it did not help but I digress.
I was here for business and this location is right by the airport, had I noted this prior to departing home I would have switched it immediately because there is not much but industrial areas around the airport, unless of course you have a house! I arrived the hotel and noted it looked like a remodeled military dormitory. The staff was very nice but limited in English on the weekend I checked in. Also, the restaurant + room service is not open on the weekends! Bad move as they are inconveniently located away from eating establishments.
The room had no clock, no kettle, it was freezing cold and that includes after asking the staff to check that I had the settings properly set. My room had a view of a wall which was great for amplifying the airport and motorway noise. Also (Rm 156) it was looking into the workout room. Not really a pleasant thing to be worried about when trying to let the sun in.
Overall, I could not get out of this hotel fast enough. A plus, the breakfast is nice. The staff are nice. I checked out early as the sleepless nights were not benefiting the work I was doing. A review of the beautiful new hotel is in the works. Enjoy Brest but not at this one, unless you don't care about sleep or comfort.

Room Tip: Stay away from room 156!
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank LisaPattenden
Melbourne, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 December 2012

I stayed here recently on a business trip, and after moving from another nearby hotel.

The staff are friendly and helpful, the rooms good with a great shower and everything else you could want including English speaking TV and good internet speeds.

The food is excellent, and relatively inexpensive, I had a really great steak one night I was there. One word of warning though, due to the industrial location of the hotel and I guess it being very quiet at weekends the restaurant is closed Friday and Saturday nights, which is a proper inconvenience as there is nowhere else to eat locally.

Breakfast is also very good with plenty of choice, good coffee, but is a cost extra item I think.

Overall I'd have given it 5 stars but for the silly fact of the restaurant being closed at the weekend.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled on business
2 Thank Ian_C96
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 August 2012 via mobile

Stayed there Sunday 12th August as we booked online for a first night in Brest,

Rooms very good, reception clean but very quiet, lady at reception that evening was running reception, bar, and maintenance issues, busy lady but the nicest in the world to us we travelled by cars with two small families with two 4yr old girls, we used the swimming pool at rear and kids loved it, but needs maintaining badly, tiles missing and not very clean

Only downfall was the location of hotel, it's in the middle of an industrial estate and took us hours to find as French directions where bad and my sat nav wasn't reliable,

We would stay again if in the area in future,

• Stayed August 2012
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 June 2012

I'm here in the Oceania for one night only. Having stayed in what feels like 1000 hotels in the last month or so, but this is one is amongst the better ones. It looks a bit grim from the outside but inside it is strangely welcoming. I'm not sure what it is about the bedroom - its pretty much the same as most hotels of this rating - but it feels somehow nicer, more homely. Maybe it is the little bit of extra space or the natural light that I've been missing, but whatever it is, it's a good thing. The shower is excellent, a real pleasure, and the complimentary toiletries are better than average. Staff on reception seem pleasant and the bed is comfy. The wifi is better than average - I had one of the few decent Skype calls with people from home that I've had in the last few weeks from here and it seems generally quite quick. I haven't jumped in the pool myself, but colleagues have and they enjoyed themselves. From what I can tell we are near nothing aside from DIY stores so I guess this is not a place to stay if you want to be near stuff, but if that doesn't bother you then I recommend it.

Room Tip: I'm in 137, the wifi is good here. That's all I can offer...
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled on business
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Also consider these accommodations in or near Gouesnou
L'Amiraute
BEST WESTERN Europe Hotel
Kyriad Brest
Kyriad Brest
#10 of 36 in Brest

Been to Hotel Escale Oceania Brest? Share your experiences!