Arapey Thermal Resort and Spa
US$111
US$87
TripAdvisor
See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 15 March 2013

it's really an all included, but when you go with the PENTA club.
The food is very healthy, you can eat everything without getting a stomach ache.
there are a lot of activities out side, so better if you have good wheater

Room Tip: I think the better rooms are the ones with the pool view
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled with family
4  Thank Sebastian S
Reviewed 11 December 2012 via mobile

We stayed here For more than 4 days años it was more than enough. The place is incredible, the nature is out there but the hotel is prepared to receive people that want to go for fun and not for resting.
People is really loud because they go in groups and the noise from them and the music spoils a needed relax time, which is why we went in the first place.
I have a back problem and I didn't find the thermal pools quite thermal. We ended up at the municipal pools which are more than recommended! The people there go to relax an heal and you can really enjoy it.
The food at the hotel is okay but not for a 5 star service. You would expect a nice fresh juice in the morning not a diluted water with some orange and artificial flavor.. The desserts are difficult to enjoy if you can find anything tempting..
At night when you expect to rest at 12 pm the loud music starts to sound for 2 or 3 hours more.
Service is okay but you sense that employees are not quite comfortable.(some of them)
Well i hope you find this review helpful.

• Stayed: October 2012
3  Thank javiviva
Reviewed 22 November 2012

Another reviewer got it exactly right by comparing this hotel to a family-filled cruise-ship. Or perhaps like a British holiday camp from the 1970s.

It's definitely not a cool, calm spa environment but rather a hotel with warm pools catering to families and large groups of friends (while we were there there was a group from Argentina that had arrived in two large buses to celebrate a birthday).

I would not have chosen this type of hotel, just looking at the building gives you a warning of what's in store and was here for work.

But there are some issues that could really be dealt with by the hotel to make an improvement.

The noise levels are what bothered me most. In the restaurant even the waiters looked relieved to get out of the main room because of the noise, and that was at breakfast.

Outside the pools are lined with white gazebos and sun-loungers, and look great. However there is piped music and the day's programme is announced over it, with the clarity of a railway loud-speaker. It would really be a good idea just to let people here the sounds of nature.

The buffet meals have a nice selection of fresh breads, fresh vegetables, and all drinks are included other than imported ones eg Jack Daniels. The plastic cups for beer at the bar were a bit of a turn off.

The staff were extremely friendly but very slow at the reception were the several times I went I waited for at least 10 minutes to be attended when I was one of one two people waiting.

The fact that children are allowed in the pool with trainer nappies is a health concern and I read one review written by a doctor who was a guest who cautioned that this is really not a good policy.

To be honest this is struggling between a 3 and 4 star.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled on business
3  Thank Karen H
Reviewed 29 October 2011

Increadible beutifull place, unbelievable view.
Hotel well mantained, all included so food is free and tasty all day long.
Nice and clean pool, great jacuzzi center.

Rooms are clean, internet access is fair, although who wants internet when you have such a view and activities.
Horses are running arround free, we had a great time there.

Room Tip: Ask for the pool view.
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank WillyM
Reviewed 28 February 2009

It's all about expectations. I was expecting quiet elegance, emphasis on spa treatments, service, and class. It was more like being on a crowded, family-friendly cruise ship. Everyone seemed to be having a good time, though, so if you're coming with that expectation you'll love it.

Our rooms were average. We had some trouble upon check-in, as they had us scheduled for a 3-bed room, when I had specified (and confirmed) that we needed 4 beds. They finally switched us to 2 rooms, each with the smallest twin beds I had ever seen in a hotel, but that's what we requested, so I can't complain. The bedding was faded and tired looking, and there was only one thin pillow on each bed (they brought us more upon request). The rooms were plenty big, with a papasan chair, desk, table and chairs, and a 2-part bathroom (shower and toilet in one room, sink in another).

The spa is large, and the prices for services were extremely reasonable (around $30 for a massage, with lots of different services offered), but I didn't try any, so I don't know how good they are. There is an indoor/outdoor pool (you swim under a wall to get outside), and some outdoor pools too. Everything is heated by the thermals, so it's all very warm, and there's no cool pool option on hot days.

There's a big restaurant, with a huge buffet at each meal -- tons of options. The food was good, and the desserts were beautiful and delicious. Sodas (and maybe wine -- I'm not sure) were included. There's also a snack bar, but it wasn't clear what they served besides sodas, because there was no posted menu, and any time we tried to order something we had to wait so long for the server to take our order that we just gave up.

There's a big game room, with pool, air hockey, a small stage, and what looked like a video game set-up (like Nintendo); always very busy. You have to walk through here to get to the restaurant, and it's very noisy and chaotic. There's also a big exercise room, with top-of-the-line brand-new equipment, that you have to walk through -- it was usually empty. There are movies shown 4x a day in their small theatre -- we saw "The Dark Knight." We were the only ones in the theatre, so on our request they showed it with English subtitles.

There are horseback rides offered 4x/day, but you're only allowed to go once per day per hotel room. That's the only activity my daughter wanted to do, so I asked them to bend that rule, which they did without too much trouble. The horses were slow and gentle, and the guide friendly, but the rides are only 25 minutes, and you're not allowed to even trot, never mind canter. Pretty boring. There's also what they call a farm (granja) that's pretty sad -- some goats and chickens, and regional animals, all in small cages -- no chance to pet them or anything.

There are computers in the business center. You have to pay in advance (I think it's $1 US per 1/2 hour), and it shuts off automatically when your time's up (it gives you a 2-minute warning, first). Kind of annoying.

We were there on a Friday and Saturday night. Saturday the place was hopping -- TONS of kids, large family reunions, etc. -- and this is in the low season (but it was Carnaval). Guests are mostly from Uruguay, Argentina and Brazil -- our horse guide said it's rare to have Americans there. None of the hotel staff that we met spoke any English (we speak Spanish, so that was fine).

It was a 9.5 hour drive from our previous hotel (San Pedro de Timote, in Cerro Colorado, near Florida), and 8 hours to our next stop in Colonia, so it's really not worth the trip, in my opinion. It was anything but relaxing, which is what I was hoping for.

• Stayed: February 2009, travelled with family