Art Hotel Deco
US$111
US$110
US$73
TripAdvisor
All reviewslovely gardenyogurthome from homebreakfast was excellentan absolute gemgorgeous placeimpeccable servicemakes you feelgreat attentionwarm welcomea lovely boutique hotelliving roomno doubtceciliadecocountrypatio
Reviewed 19 February 2014

Stayed here for 2 nights in November 2013. Trying to book directly with the hotel was difficult but eventually achieved through another booking site.

As part of a 2 week trip to Uruguay we drove north to Salto from Mercedes. Upon arrival at the hotel we found that there were 2 allocated parking spots out front on the busy street. If the hotel had of been full, some guests would have had to find other parking along the street.

We were received by Anna who showed us to a lovely room. We unpacked our things and had a shower and were then told we had been put into the wrong room. Packed up and moved to another room.

The first room was beautiful and spacious - the second room was what they called the suite. With Anna's very limited English, we did not really understand why we were being moved, but settled in nicely.

Both rooms had nice fittings and small touches. There were nice high ceilings that increased the feeling of space. Plenty of room for storage of bags and clothes. There was a flat screen tv and air-con.

There was a good sized bathroom with a double sink, large vanity to hold toiletries and the shower had good water pressure.

The suite room also opened up to the lovely back garden. The public areas of the hotel, such as the library, dining room and court yard are all beautiful, interesting and inviting.

Breakfast was nicely set out and included a selection of fruit, pastries, yoghurt and cereal.

The staff were all pleasant.

The property was secure and within walking distance of the shops, restaurants and river.

The one down side about our stay at the Art Deco was an incident as we were paying our account. I was advised that we had been put in the wrong room and that the suite we had been moved to by the other staff member was more expensive. We were now being asked to pay more money for a room move that was not our mistake or requested by us.

I informed the staff member that I did not think this was very fair. Especially as the hotel was not full and the room had been vacant anyway. The staff member rang the owner and I was advised if we did not pay the extra money it would be deducted from the staff member's pay. I was really taken aback by this greedy, unprofessional attitude of the owner.

I told the staff member I was not willing to pay anymore but that I did not think it was right that she should have to make up the difference either. In the end I offered to pay half of the extra money, but the staff member declined to accept. I felt sorry for the lovely staff and the incident left a bad taste in my mouth due to the attitiude of the owner (who never made an appearance or asked to speak with me in person).

Other than that unsavoury incident, I would recommend this as a lovely place to stay. Just double check the room you are put into when you arrive is what you booked.

Room Tip: I think all of the rooms would be lovely, judging by the 2 that I experienced.
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Qldgirl1
Reviewed 2 January 2014

What a nice and peaceful place in the middle of town! Tastefully decorated large rooms with high ceilings, great modern bathrooms with all amenities, very comfortable beds and an immaculate service. Very nice and quiet patios, great breakfast. Highly recommendable!

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank carmencarola
Reviewed 22 November 2013

This is a beautiful small hotel (four rooms) in a converted mansion just off the main streets of Salto. The name may reference "art deco," but the design is from a few decades earlier, as the building dates to the 1890's. Fortunately, while the design and furniture are from an older era, the plumbing and air conditioning are modern era. Service is extremely attentive and laser-focused on creating a relaxed, enjoyable atmosphere. Delicious breakfast, too.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank retrofuturistic
Reviewed 13 October 2013

Wonderful boutique hotel in the city center of Salto. The hotel is quiet and clean, the personal is very friendly and the decoration is exquisite... The rooms are fully equiped with AC and nice flat screen TV. The only remark I can make is that the rooms missed curtains...

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank 3448483georgemcfly
Reviewed 8 October 2013

I was on my way to Entre Rios in Argentina for Business. Therefore I was crossing through Salto to Concordia and decided to stay for the weekend before continuing work. I loved the breakfasts, they were quite complete. With eggs that came from the owner's local farm, fresh fruit and juice, and an excellent service. It was quite amazing to find such a nice hotel in the middle of Salto!
Hope you enjoy just as I did!

Room Tip: When I booked, there were only 2 rooms available. I chose a double deluxe. It was just right for the purpose of my trip..a weekend stay...and go on. Having taken a look around I would say that any room you stay in is outstanding.
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business