“Great Lunch”

The Bistro
Cuisines: African
Good for: Romantic
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Taste the pure South African cuisine that we all like, especially on the South Coast.
Reviewed 15 January 2014

we came across this restaurant whilst on a drive through Ramsgate on New Years Eve. although the owner/manager informed us that they were preparing for the evenings entertainment we were welcome to order. We ordered the linefish which was rock cod, this was singularly the best fish that we had eaten at any of the restaurants in the area , despite the fact that the others specialize in fish. beautifully prepared, excellently cooked, and the service was exceptional despite the hustle an bustle around the evening to come. I will most certainly dine there again should i be in the area.

There are newer reviews for The Bistro

Reviewed 7 January 2014

We had a dinner there in the middle of the ihgh season. As a result of a mix up in bookings we booked late (on the day) and no problem getting a reservation. This should have been a sign!

The service was abysmal. The lady who waited ont he table was fairly friendly but we waited 10 min before we were asked about drinks and the ordering was a debacle. Half of the stuff we ardered was not available and when it came it was warm. Just no excuse for this

The food was acceptable but not anything to write home about.

Do not go there for a special occasion and probably avowing in high season!

This restaurant has had a mixed history and I am afraid that if they do not change things, there will be a new owner soon.

Reviewed 8 September 2013

I enjoyed the decor, it reminded me of a previous trip to Italy, the food is good and the waitress was friendly. Yet I felt I was intruding. The place was empty, the owners were having a family meal in one corner and the room felt too big.

Reviewed 9 April 2013

We thoroughly enjoyed the Italian cuisine prepared for us. Delicious. However, we were sorely disappointed by our clumsy busboy who spilled a drink on me and didn't bother to clean the floor for the next hour or give us remuneration, i.e. free drinks or dessert, to compensate for the inconvenience. It spoiled my whole evening.

Reviewed 28 January 2013

My husband & I took 2 overseas visitors to Bistro since I heard it had changed ownership. Firstly the "greeting" was rather unfriendly. LAdy owner found it too much trouble to set table outside. It was stunning weather that eve, but she felt it would be too much if it should start to rain. Ordered 1 salad & 1 "Home made" soup. Soup was def not home made, but warmed up in the microwave - far too hot. Our visitor lady ordered Panzarotti. A whole 5 of them were on the table. Looked like a starter portion. I had seafood Pasta. Was ok. Just should have put on the Menu that they use squid (hate them). My husband had Saltimbocca! Well that was discusting! Not at all the way it should have been. Anyhow, they thought by giving us 1 Desert (don't even know what that was), it would be all ok. They never asked: how is or was the meal, after paying NOBODY saw us out. Just an unpleasant feeling!