“Quaint and charming”

Ranked #6 of 18 Restaurants in Ramsgate
Cuisines: European
Good for: Romantic
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Description: A shabby chic French Cafe serving European and South African Foods with a strong emphasis on Organic, Fresh and Modern Dishes. A large selection of vegetarian, seafood and low carb dishes are served. Our menu is seasonal and our blackboard reflects just that! Ask about our fresh line fish delivered that day by our local commercial fisherman or the fresh vegetables delivered by our organic local veg supplier...
Reviewed 21 May 2014

Really a quaint place. Burgers are really good. Prawn curry was very tasty. All their meals are fresh and nicely presented. The staff are really friendly and attentive. Great atmosphere - worth a try.

1  Thank Hilary980

Reviewed 9 May 2014

Lovely, quiet and romantic :) Definitely worth the visit. The staff is friendly and the vibe is spectacular. There is also a vintage shop, Bella Vintage Lifestyle, upstairs in the restaurant!
Make a visit :)

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Reviewed 23 April 2014

We really enjoyed our evening here. Both meals were very tasty and nicely presented. The service was attentive, however we were the only guests. The venue is typical of the name 'burlesque' - so unusual and charming in its own way. I would recommend this restaurant for an easy, tasty and well priced meal on the South Coast

Reviewed 4 April 2014

It is quite a while since we did dine at the Burlesque café and I was not sure if I should give a review, as it would be a bad one..
But I am returning to the hibiscus coast for another holiday and now I see all this good reviews and I simply can not believe we talk abou the same place!
As I often use tripadvisor as a valuable tool to plan my holidays, I feel obliged to write my comments as a "warning" to innocent customers.
Well enough introduction, here is the review:
Ambience: If you check the pictures at their webside the place looks really nice, actually a little bit posh. I found the place had an atmosphere of a student hangout. The place is small and they put to many tables in there. The quality of the interiour is fairly poor even the try to decorate it nicely did not hit the mark.
When I went to the restroom (not too clean by the way) you could smell the odor of burnig fat from the kitchen.
The food: Not nice! I had a steak and whoever was the cook had obviosly no clue how to grill one properly. What a shame as SA has great beef and such a marvelous brai tradition.
My partner had a vegetarian dish and that was made with way to much oil and generally overcooked.
All that aside the worst of it was the "entertainment".
It was a Saturday evening and they had announced "live music", which was one of the reasons why we went there. The performer (it must have been either one of the owners himself or a relative) was a maybe 60 year old guy who sang and played guitar in a Karaokestile to backgroundmusik coming of a computer. He was so bad it was rather comical. He could not sing or really play guitar and when he tried both together it was worse. He also could not keep up with the tempo of the backgroundmusik... Non of the guests had the guts to tell this man how awful he was and he gave the impression to rate himself quite a musician.
They even had the daring to charge all guests extra for that.
There are other places in Ramsgate that offer a lot better food for the same or even less money. Try Flavors, Le Bistro or the Waffle House.
We will most certainly not go back there...

vickywentzel, Owner at The Burlesque Cafe, responded to this reviewResponded 4 June 2014

I am so saddened to read about the horrid experience you had at our cafe - the idea behind starting this venture/dream was to bring joy and pleasant memories to our visitors. Please can you email me directly on info@theburlesquecafe.com so we can try get to the bottom of your experience - we would hate a repeat performance.

Kind Regards
Vicky

Reviewed 6 March 2014

We went there some months ago and we have enjoyed the food and the service, even if we found that the prices were a bit high. We came back and the price was still high, but the food was without interest and the service extremely slow. Perhaps was it because we arrived late (around 8:pm)? It would be the only excuse.