“Dissapointed”
Review of No 5 Restaurant

No 5 Restaurant
Ranked #1 of 96 Restaurants in Retford
Cuisines: British
Good for: Business meetings, Child-friendly, Romantic, Special Occasion Dining, Groups, Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, After-hours, Full Bar, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Retford, United Kingdom
“Dissapointed”
Reviewed 27 June 2014

I visited no5 with 3 friends and we all decided on the market menu. When it came dessert we looked at the menu and all the desserts were priced at £5.95, there was nothing I really wanted so i asked if i could have the cheeseboard, this was £6.95. I was told i could not have this even though i offered to pay £6.95. Consequently none us bothered to have dessert so therefore the bill was £20 less. I know the cheeseboard was not an option on the market menu but can you not be flexible for the sake of happy customers? I could understand if you were a larger chain but being a small local eatery I thought you would think differently.

2 Thank Swannan
liz c, Owner at No 5 Restaurant, responded to this review, 30 June 2014
Hi
I apologise that you were misinformed by one of our staff regarding the cheesboard. They were correct in that the cheesboard is not an option as a dessert with the market menu but you would have been more than welcome to purchase one seperately. I would be interested to know when you visitied No 5 so that I could speak to the member of staff who served you and ascertain if this incident was a miscommunication or if they are misinformed.

Either way I am surprised by this incident as we always say that customers can have whatever they like both off the a la carte menu and the market menu - we even offer to cook bespoke meals if the chefs have the ingredients to hand.

I would appreciate it if you would e mail Ian - iancliftonchef@aol.co.uk and inform him of the date and time of your booking and the name your table was booked in and we will forward you a voucher for a complimentary meal.
Regards
Liz

Nottingham, United Kingdom
“Poor Sunday lunch”
Reviewed 22 June 2014 via mobile

From the moment we arrived we were met with disappointing service. It took 25 minutes to order off a very limited menu and then a further 20 minutes for our disappointing food to arrive.
Our drinks order was wrong (2 soft drinks so not complicated). The crab cake starter was cool inside & had definitely not been checked with a thermometer. The French onion soup was bland. The main courses were a mixed bag. The pork was average but the beef was very poor. This shouldn't have been a surprise as the waitress gave us a choice of pink or cooked. I clarified did she mean well done & she said no cooked!!! What arrived was grey, tasteless, and covered in watery gravy.
Maybe we expected too much for Retford. Either way we won't be returning.

5 Thank John R
liz c, Owner at No 5 Restaurant, responded to this review, 30 June 2014
Hi
I am sorry that you did not enjoy your Sunday Lunch, I am also sorry that you did not feel it was appropriate to inform the manager on duty that you were not happy with your meal.
As you will be aware from reading our previous reviews we are proud of the quality of food and service that we offer our customers and we have pages of excellent reviews;which would indicate that your poor experience was an isolated incident.

I have addressed the issues that you raised at our staff meeting and hope that you will visit us again. I would appreciate it if you could e mail Ian on iancliftonchef@aol.co.uk informing him of the name and time/date of your booking and he will forward you a voucher for Sunday Lunch
regards
Liz
Doncaster, United Kingdom
“Definitely Worth a Visit”
Reviewed 18 June 2014

We visited one Saturday night in a party of four and seated upstairs by the window. Our ordered drinks arrived quickly whilst we studied the menu. We decided on the a la carte menu and our starters were a shared seafood platter, pate' and Whitby crab. For mains we all chose varying Yorkshire beef fillet dishes and decided on two sharing dessert selections. From start to finish all our choices were exceptional. For the food it worked out approx. £40 per head, drinks extra.
All the staff we encountered were helpful and friendly.
Only complaint was that all of us found the seats uncomfortable after an hour or so.
Highly recommended and will revisit.

• Visited June 2014
“Fine dining and a hidden gem!”
Reviewed 17 June 2014

Wow! What more can I say, excellent setting, excellent service and amazing food! Superb wine selection that's reasonably priced, fresh, local seasonal food that looked and tasted amazing! A bit more expensive than the usual Retford places but more than worth it! This restaurant is what Retford has been missing and I'm so glad to have somewhere to go that's that bit more upmarket for special occasions that we don't need to go out of Retford for! We were spoilt for choice on the menu and will certainly return to try other things. Nothing was too much trouble when asking for a few adjustments to a meal due to dietary needs and staff were really welcoming and friendly. The choice of decor is beautiful and really suits the high quality of the menu. Cannot wait to return.

• Visited May 2014
Sheffield, United Kingdom
“Lovely experience”
Reviewed 14 June 2014 via mobile

Went to no5 for a birthday meal and have to say I give it 10 out of 20 for food service and atmosphere really enjoyed my night as did my friends