“Fantastic food”

The White Lion
Ranked #22 of 106 Restaurants in Retford
Price range: US$7 - US$13
Dining options: Reservations
Description: We serve a traditional Sunday Lunch, which is served to your table.
Reviewed 11 May 2014 via mobile

Visited last night for a family meal. The food was fantastic and excellent value for money. Staff very friendly. Would deffo visit again.

lesley h, Owner at The White Lion, responded to this reviewResponded 2 October 2014

What a lovely comment. We have a special`s board, as well as an extensive menu and the linguine is often on this board, with different variations. It is always a popular choice. I'm really pleased you enjoyed your meal and I hope to see you again.

Reviewed 9 May 2014 via mobile

Visited on numerous occasions and shall not be visiting again.
Completely ignored by the staff the last time we visited, found the landlady to be very rude and inhospitable, we have given this place a few chances to prove itself, however this is the last time we visit. On this occasion the pub was filled with unsavoury people, the carpet was filthy and the place smelt like wet dog ( there were dogs in the pub at this time), I'm certainly not against dog friendly pubs, however an establishment that allows pets should maintain a high standard of cleanliness to please everyone. Very disappointed....yet again

3  Thank Jemmaloo
lesley h, Owner at The White Lion, responded to this reviewResponded 10 May 2014

Oh dear, you aren't very happy, are you? I am rather surprised by what you have said, however. Firstly, I'm the landlady and I have never been called rude or inhospitable in my life, so that's a new one for me! I honestly can't remember speaking to you and if you were not happy, why did you not say something to me? We have always had very positive comments about our Sunday lunches so I am disappointed that there are so many things you are not happy about. . Regarding the 'unsavoury characters', if we have any problems with customers we ask them to leave, but, to my knowledge, we have had no problems of late. I guess you cannot please everybody. Sorry your experience with us was not a good one.

Reviewed 7 May 2014

Went for Sunday lunch with family.

Nice real ale, limited selection of wine but very nice red wine at £14 per bottle.

Fantastic mushroom and garlic soup, nice pate and chutney, prawn cocktail average at best. Rubbish cheap baguette with the soup and pate.

Tough beef but good flavours, fresh veg selection was nice and not overcooked, mash poor, I would guess it was smash.

The sticky treacle pudding was very poor, obviously bought it, not home made.

Real shame, as I think this could have been great, and could be again with a few changes. The staff who served us were good, just not enough of them.

Thank you for your comments. I'm sorry that you didn't have a brilliant time and I hope you will try us out again. We have complained to our butcher about the beef and he has sorted this problem out. As for the potatoes, I assure you that they are not 'Smash' - does that still exist?! But I am pleased that you enjoyed most of your meals.

Reviewed 27 April 2014 via mobile

After avoiding one pub nearby due to its very basic menu, my friends and I came here one evening. The interior is very pleasant with plenty of seating for both bar and restaurant.

The menu had plenty of choice and the bar had plenty of ale too. Food was very nice but a little average. It was certainly better than anything I'd expect to be in The White Lion's location. I'm sure this pub will continue to improve and we'll certainly be back at some point.

lesley h, Owner at The White Lion, responded to this reviewResponded 4 May 2014

Thank you for your comments. I'm pleased you enjoyed our salmon from the Specials' Board. We try to change this board regularly, especially as people like to come back and eat something different. I hope you come back soon and try another 'Special'.

Reviewed 25 April 2014

Just had a meal at the white lion.
I decided to have something off the specials board.
I had the salmon with prawn sauce.boiled potatoes and salad .
What can I say . I have never had such a fantastic meal in a pub before.
The food was superb. The staff extremely friendly and a nice pint to boot.