“Excellent.”

The Filling Station
Ranked #22 of 96 Restaurants in Retford
Cuisines: American, Bar, Diner
Good for: Kids, Special Occasion Dining, Child-friendly
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Brunch, Breakfast, Lunch, Delivery, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
U.K.
“Excellent.”
Reviewed 22 June 2014

Firstly, this is an excellent place to eat. Really good.

Went on a Thursday afternoon. Fell lucky as it was a quiet spell. The phone though was going a lot asking for reservations in the evening.
The first thing you notice is how clean it is. Spotless. You then notice the memorabilia. Its subtle. You know when you have been to American theme places how they have to ram the fact its an american restaurant down your throat? This is not one of those places. Sure, it has booths and bits and pieces from America but it is very well done.
Sat in a comfy booth. Met the Gentleman server who was friendly and helpful.
The menu has a wide selection. We picked the philly cheese steak and the southern chicken wrap.
The food was brought a little while later and was piping hot and so fresh. Really nice coleslaw, salad and fries. Tasty, fresh and the portions were large. So you will feel very full. In our case after only half way through.
The only downside was I wanted to try a milkshake but was far too full. But, it makes a good excuse to go back again. Two main courses plus drinks (two teas and a soda and lime came to just over £21.
I had been to a american theme restaurant the week previous in Centre parcs and am even more cheesed off at the quality and prices charged at a place that should take lessons from here about american themed food.
Worth the trip and time.
Sorry, no pictures as was too busy munching and listen for the chef singing away in the back as he prepares the food. He loves his job.

doncaster
“Great Smokehouse worth a visit!”
Reviewed 17 June 2014

Visited last weekend for my sisters 21st birthday, on arrival the resturant was happy to set up the table with birthday trimmings.
The resturant was top notch done out to a high standard with a great little courtyard over looking the church out the back.
Food great try the nachos really really good!
Brisket wrap I had was amazing and my husband had a huge rack of ribs which he demolished and said were some of the best he has ever had.
Mojito not so great but there is always room for improvment and i accept i am hard to please when it comes to cocktails.
Will return for sure and recommended to all my friends

Nottingham, United Kingdom
“An evening meal to remember - what amazing ribs!”
Reviewed 14 June 2014

My fiancée Julie and I went to the Filing Station in Retford because I love barbecue food and I had heard good things about this place. When we got there we parked just outside and were pleasantly surprised that the place looked American and had a good atmosphere. We arrived at 6pm and it was about half full which was nice.

We were greeted with a friendly smile and taken to our seats. I love meat and chose the Pretzel Chicken and Ribs combo with chips and onion rings and Julie who is a vegetarian chose the nut burger and chips. The meals arrive quickly and were to die for. They were presented on authentic wooden boards and everything was hot.

The ribs which are cooked in an authentic American Smokehouse oven (which is why I drove from Nottingham) with hickory chips and tasted fantastic and fell off the bone. The chicken was equally delicious and Julie said that the burger was the best she had tasted. The slaw as they call the coleslaw was very creamy and so much better than I've tasted before.

We didn't have a single thing to complain about and we will be coming back for more.

3 Thank John D
Doncaster, United Kingdom
“good quality, delicious food, friendly, efficient staff”
Reviewed 14 June 2014

My first time here and wasn't sure what to expect as this normally wouldn't be my choice. I loved it! The food was delicious - the calamari was exceptional and the nachos amazing- and if you have a big appetite this is the place for you. The staff were efficient and friendly and, sitting outside, I liked to hear the buzz of the busy kitchen. Look forward to my return - fancy trying breakfast next.

2 Thank Ann H
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Hit and miss”
Reviewed 5 June 2014

Been here a couple of times now for breakfast. The quality is very hit and miss, take our last visit for instance. I arrived with my daughter and partner for breakfast, the place was clean and had about a dozen other diners. We were greeted by 2 girls who were friendly and polite. We ordered a full English a loggers breakfast and blueberry pancakes. After a short wait the food arrived along with our drinks the blueberry pancakes were dry without syrup and arranged neatly on the plate to disguise the burt bits, not a good start. My full English was a massive let down with the bacon very undercooked and the sausage being Inedible due to its recent cremation. The loggers breakfast didn't fare much better with dry cold pancakes, and again rock hard sausage. The coffee was fine, the tea was cold, the diet coke was not anything resembling the brand but the vanilla milkshake was great. Not expensive at just over 16 pounds but considering that most of the meal was in edible 16 quid for a milkshake is not great. You might be lucky and get them on a good day or you might just like playing Russian roulette with your taste buds. Either way I won't be rushing back anytime soon