“Our wedding day”

Best Western Plus West Retford Hotel
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Retford
Reviewed 27 June 2014

We had our wedding here on Saturday 21st June 2014. All the staff were exceptional, especially Simon and Gary who looked after us for the day and night and also Fran who smiled all day which makes such a difference. All the staff could not do enough for us. The 4 course meal, evening buffet and champagne breakfast the next day were amazing and could not be faulted. The Shelly Suite where we had our wedding was perfect and air Conditioned which helped as it was a warm day. The red carpet and drinks on arrival were lovely and all the staff were very attentive and professional. The West Retford had set the room up lovely too. Our bridal suite was amazing with a lovely view of the gardens. I would definitely recommend the hotel. The only downfall from this was when we were planning our wedding we dealt with Elaine who wasn't all that helpful when we were trying to organise somewhere for our band to get changed- her comments were "why should she provide somewhere for them to get changed when she wasn't making any money out of it" which made us feel very uneasy at the time. Despite this everyone else we dealt with were brilliant and when our band phoned to make arrangements they did end up sorting it out.

• Stayed: June 2014
1  Thank Louthyn
WRHretford, General Manager at Best Western Plus West Retford Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 7 July 2014

Thank you for your review, I'm pleased you thoroughly enjoyed you special day. I do apologise if you felt Elaine was unhelpful, I have spoken with her and she explained to me that all she was trying to say is that she could not offer the band a bedroom to get changed in due to the fact that we were nearly full. However we did manage to give them access to a function room on the evening, regards, Andrew.

There are newer reviews for Best Western Plus West Retford Hotel

Reviewed 26 June 2014

I have just returned from my third business stay at this hotel which is set away from the road in delightful grounds. All of the staff are polite, friendly, attentive and go out of their way to make your stay a pleasant one. All of the meals I had were of a very high quality but you might have to wait a little longer because they are all freshly prepared. The Orangery restaurant is light and airy and is a very nice environment in which to eat. On the weekend I stayed there were weddings taking place on the Friday, Saturday and Sunday but despite the staff being busy with the wedding party they still made time and offered the usual high quality service to other guests. Although I was there for business I can see that the location of the hotel in the pretty market town of Retford would make it a good base for touring. This is a jewel of a hotel with very reasonable room rates. I look forward to coming back again!

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Discowl

Thank you for taking the time in writing a review and for your positive comments. I'm pleased the level of hospitality offered to you met your expectations and we look forward to accommodating you in the new future, regards, Andrew.

Reviewed 24 June 2014

We stayed last Saturday evening due to we attended a wedding in the local area. This hotel is in a great location of the town center and easy walk in and out of the town. The hotel was clean and deco was lovely, the actual rooms are in a different block to the main hotel, which was good due to a large wedding was taking place, no noise. We didn't have breakfast so I can't comment on the food, but the bar area was busy and friendly staff. If I was in the area again I would stay here. The main hotel from the bits I saw looked in good condition, restored to a high standard. Very large car park and easy access back to the A1.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends

Thank you for your review, we hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed 17 June 2014

Had our wedding here 30th March 2014 most of the staff were nice and very helpful was lovely having the wedding outside however got to having pictures in the garden there was dirty glasses all over the walls photographer was having to work round them also the make up artist that came with the package turned up 2 hours late had 10 mins to get my dress on and out the door staff seemed to nit have her number??? Had to get it from someone else breakfast the next day was worse found a hair on my mushrooms sent it back she did apologise and get me a fresh one but for the price of the rooms and food you would think the food would have been a lot better if I was to have my day again I wouldn't of picked here I'm afraid

• Stayed: March 2014
WRHretford, General Manager at Best Western Plus West Retford Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 18 June 2014

Thank you for your review and your positive comments. I'm sorry certain aspects of your day were not as you expected. We do have dedicated staff on hand collecting empty glasses throughout the day as guests can leave them in the most unexpected places.

I'm afraid we don't have any control over the make-up lady as this is arranged through a local company, the bride would normally arrange timings etc directly with her. Her number is on your paperwork that you will have received.

I have spoken to the chef who informed me it wasn't a hair bit actually from the mushroom itself, however I'm pleased that this was changed immediately for you.

regards, Andrew.

Reviewed 15 June 2014

Recently returned from my son`s wedding which was held in its entirety at this venue.
To begin,we were fortunate enough to have lovely weather which, enabled the service to be held in the finely manicured gardens.Music for the occasion was provided via cd burnt by yours truly and played on the hotels boom box system which worked surprisingly well!! The only gripe one could have with regard to the service is that, there was no amplification to the lady registrars voice which meant that many people could not hear the vows being taken.The afternoon was spent dining in a beautifully decorated restaurant which would later become the venue for the evening reception with disco and buffet. This had the advantage of having its own bar for use in the evening thereby allowing other residents the use of the hotel bar which you could also escape to should you felt that way inclined!! The food provided on both occasions was very good, particularly, the profiteroles in the afternoon which, were more like footballs,and the potato skins in the evening were very tasty!
The room we were allocated was in the annexe and was light and airy and exceptionally clean.It also had a lovely view over the garden to where the scene of the wedding had taken place. Breakfast in the morning was excellent with a combination of buffet and waitress service,the smoked haddock and poached egg was quality!!
During our stay all members of staff were polite and cheery and did their utmost to ensure this special day was just that and, should you be looking for a venue for such an event, I have no hesitation in recommending the West Retford. Well done to all concerned!

Room Tip: Room thirty has a nice garden view!
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family

Thank you for your review, it appears everyone did have a fantastic day. I will make sure all the staff are aware of your comments. As you are aware the registrars are appointed by the local council and will not use a microphone. We hope to welcome you back in the near future.
Regards, Andrew.

Reviewed 12 June 2014

Rooms we're ok, kept clean and tidy by house keeping.
Girls at reception friendly and helpful.
Ideal location for Retford.
Breakfast staff were very nice especially Glynn and Olivia. Will be returning soon...

Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business

Thank you for your review and we look forward to seeing you again soon.
regards, Andrew.

Reviewed 9 June 2014

Rooms are clean and tidy. Friendly staff. The breakfast was very good and available from 06:30, so good when working in the area. Plenty of car parking space and has a barrier for extra security. Good access to town centre. Some good restaurants locally.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Alastair_WR1
Also consider these accommodations in or near Retford
Ye Olde Bell Hotel & Restaurant
Muthu Clumber Park & Hotel and Spa
Travelodge Retford Markham Moor
Best Western Lion Hotel
Best Western Plus Aston Hall Hotel
Hellaby Hall Hotel
Hellaby Hall Hotel
#1 of 1 in Hellaby

Been to Best Western Plus West Retford Hotel? Share your experiences!