“Old fashioned and dated”

Best Western Plus West Retford Hotel
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Retford
Reviewed 17 August 2014

This hotel looks lovely from outside but for price paid I was very disappointed with rooms. They are very dated and could seriously do with updating - more like a B & B than an expensive hotel! Also they are not actually in the hotel but in an annexe to the side which isn't very good in the rain! As it was quite warm and there was no air conditioning, we tried to open the window, which we managed eventually as it seemed to be glued shut. However, it didn't stay open and slowly closed itself, which was very frustrating. The weekend we stayed, there appeared to be at least 2 weddings which resulted in the guests more or less taking over the whole hotel and making it impossible to get a drink at the bar, it was as though we were invisible to the staff as they were only interested in helping the wedding guests. It would have been helpful when I contacted the hotel prior to booking to be advised that there were weddings booked. We ended up going into Retford itself for a meal and a drink instead. Then at around 1 am the wedding guests decided to come back to their rooms and were very noisy in the corridor as well as in the rooms so can only assume the walls are paper thin. Would not recommend this hotel to anyone and would certainly not be staying again.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
WRHretford, General Manager at Best Western Plus West Retford Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 18 August 2014

Thank you for your review I am sorry some aspects of your stay did not meet your expectations. As we are an 18th century former manor house built around 1749 the hotel does have a traditional feel with it's high ornate ceilings, fireplaces and chandeliers to name only a few of its unique features. Most of our guests love the traditional feel and I believe it is part of its charm. We are not, nor do we profess to be a large modern hotel that you can find in every city throughout the UK.
All of the bedroom accommodation is located directly at the side of the main house in our Georgian building, on the whole this works very well and aslevels are not an issue when we have functions etc. We have 63 bedrooms and we are currently re-furbishing all of them to the same high standard. I'm assuming you stayed in one of our more traditional rooms which has not been refurbished yet, however; these rooms are all clean and tidy. August is generally a busy period for the hotel and we did have a busy wedding weekend, I'm sorry if service levels were not as they should have been due to the amount of other guests being served. If you would like to discuss this further please contact me directly and perhaps I could arrange a nice stay during a quiet weekend in one of our four poster rooms at a very favourable rate. I would like to thank you for your valuable feedback as this helps us maintain our high standards. Regards, Andrew. A.lavin@westretfordhotel.co.uk

Reviewed 16 August 2014

Last week we stayed two nights for the wedding of a young cousin. I have to say that every aspect of the wedding, accommodation, staff, food, etc was lovely. The wedding meal was delicious. The setting is lovely. The staff are extremely nice including the owner. The hotel rooms are of a very good size and decorated very nicely. The hot water was fabulous! This is definitely better than an average 3 star hotel. I understand why my cousin chose it for a reception completely. The breakfasts were freshly cooked. I had haddock and poached egg twice as it helps my arthritis and it was delicious. They use undyed haddock too which is a very sign for a hotel.

I made requests for extra pots of tea at breakfast and it was never a problem. The sauce which went with the chicken for the wedding meal was so good I just kept eating on its own!! I would love to back for the xmas meal as the menu looked delicious and was of a reasonable price compared to where we live near Kettering!

So all in all we would definitely recommend this hotel for staying, food and weddings! Based on this experience we will definitely be trying other Best Western hotels too not having been to them before. Well done you lot up there!

Room Tip: Rooms on the building on the right hand side seem to be the best overall.
1  Thank Delyse S
WRHretford, General Manager at Best Western Plus West Retford Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 17 August 2014

Thank you for your review and lovely comments. I'm pleased you had a wonderful stay and it was nice talking to you while you were waiting for your transport to arrive. Hopefully we will see you again in the near future or for one of our festive events. Regards, Andrew.

Reviewed 6 August 2014

My wife and I recently held our wedding at The West Retford Hotel and are absolutely thrilled with how the event went. On the day from start to finish the staff were excellent; they were attentive and absolutely professional. The food and service were some of the best I have experienced-I never had to worry about the day as the staff had covered absolutely everything. Their attention to detail made us feel incredibly special. It was perfect. I would without a doubt recommend this venue to anyone wanting to celebrate a wedding here, you will not be disappointed.
Thank you to all staff who helped make our wedding day nor never to forget. The Horton-Slade's.

3  Thank Nat S
WRHretford, General Manager at Best Western Plus West Retford Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 14 August 2014

Thank you for your review and lovely comments. It's always satisfying to hear when the team do a fantastic job to make your day a special one. We hope to see you again in the near future. regards, Andrew.

Reviewed 5 August 2014

Wow! As a business traveller with many nights away a year, hand on heart, I would say that this is one of the best hotels that I have every stayed in. My room was in the Georgian block on the ground floor and was very comfortable and clean. If I was to be very picky, my only criticism is that the bathroom smelt a little 'fusty'. Having said that, I will cope!

The hotel itself, is set in the most delightful grounds/gardens and my room was far enough back from a very busy main road to be quiet. Staff were very friendly, unlike some of the other hotels in this chain were they can tend to look down at the guy who works in heavy plant and arrives dusty in a high visibility jacket.

I ate on the terrace overlooking the lovely gardens (maybe rose tinted glasses due to the wonderful weather) and had a 'bar meal'. However, your normal steak/pizza/burger and chips, but a very decent two course repast with proper vegetables. Superbly cooked! Price also good, about £16 overall. Even the beer was well priced for a hotel - £3.40 a pint - I have stayed in some establishments where the tariff has exceeded £5 for something similar.

Excellent for business travel, but am also now considering booking for a weekend in October, even though it is the best part of 220 miles from home.

Well done Best Western and all the staff!

Room Tip: Ground floor in the Georgian block.
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled on business

Thank you for your review and nice comments about the hotel, staff and service you received. We look forward to seeing you in October. regards, Andrew.

Reviewed 3 August 2014

Went for a function and stayed a night. I have to say this was a very surprising place. The place was clean and tidy. We had a dinner at a function there and the food was outstanding. The breakfast was excellent and they had real sausages and not the chicken ones around nowadays. The location is great. There small house bar was good and sitting outside was a real treat. The beds were the worst part of the stay. The receptionist told us when people stay they either love them or hate them. I think a real improvement could be made here that all would love them not just some. Beds aside I thought it was clean tidy and a great venue.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends

Thank you for you review, I'm pleased you enjoyed your stay. The vast majority of beds in the hotel are new and are of a medium firmness. We don't get too many negative comments regarding the beds but if you can let me know your room number I will investigate. regards, Andrew. (a.lavin@westretfordhotel.co.uk)

Reviewed 27 July 2014

On a trip with Gourock Horticultural Society to the area, our stay at the West Retford Hotel for 5 nights was incredible, the food, the staff, the cleanliness were as I say Simply the Best more than all the rest. Far above it's 3 star rating, just perfect.
Congratulation Best Western, this will certainly make our group look at your hotels for other trips to other areas.

Room Tip: We were in the Annex, which suited us absolutely fine, all rooms look onto Garden areas.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends

Thank you for your review and nice comments. I'm pleased we exceeded your expectations. Hopefully your group will visit us again soon. regards, Andrew.

Reviewed 25 July 2014

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with Best Western GB
1  Thank Claire T
Also consider these accommodations in or near Retford
3 mi away
Hellaby Hall Hotel
#1 of 1 in Hellaby
Travelodge Retford Markham Moor
Best Western Lion Hotel

Been to Best Western Plus West Retford Hotel? Share your experiences!