“A RIP OFF - DON'T BOOK A FUNCTION HERE!”
Review of Elms Hotel

Elms Hotel
Ranked #8 of 10 Retford B&B and Inns
Reviewed 28 May 2012

We had arranged for refreshments to be served here after my father-in-law's funeral and can only say we were ripped off. We paid £7.95 a head for 50 people and were presented with a couple of trays of sandwiches that had obviously been made for some time as they were curling up at the corners and drying out, very cheap sausage rolls which tasted disgusting and the cheapest possible swiss rolls and scones (cut into halves with butter and jam to make it look like there were a lot of them). They just didn't provide decent quality food let alone the fact that had 50 people turned up then it is doubtful there would have been enough food. The coffee was a joke - someone had to ask the staff to put more coffee in as you could literally see the bottom of the cup. They made no effort to make the room look inviting; not even pulling across the curtain that splits the room into two and one of the staff members was still cleaning mirrors when guests were arriving. The room hadn't even been cleaned properly...it looked like it was some time since it was vaccumed. In fact the whole place looks tired and grimey. Due to the occasion we really didn't feel like complaining on the day but felt we were ripped off big time and would certainly not recommend anyone having a function here!

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank Kim B

Reviewed 25 April 2012

This is our second time staying at the hotel, and all I can stay is what a difference! When we stayed over two years ago and we were allocated a room in the stable block. Upon arrival I said I wouldn,t let my dog stay in there as it was disgusting and we were then allocated a room in the main building which wasn,t much better, but clean.

This time though after reading that the rooms had been refurbished we decided to give it another go as it is close to my mums house. We booked a executive room for us and a standard double for our daughter and fiance. Both were in the stable block and the executive room on the ground floor had a small lounge with flat screen tv, separate bathroom and double bed with lovely egyptian cotton linen. All very nice. One thing though, elms managers. Send somebody around the back of the building to clear the debris of empty bottles and rubbish that was on view when you opened the bedroom curtains! Our daughters room was again clean and tidy, this was upstairs. Separate bathroom, but what is needed is small complimentary toiletries aside from the dove soap holders that are fixed to the wall. Reasonably priced bar menu with literally everything on offer with chips! Two for ten pounds etc with reasonably priced drinks.

Very shabby dining room though. Money needs to be spent here too. i.e. paint peeling off radiatiors, chipped table and chairs etc.

Breakfast ok, but we paid £64 per night so I would have expected it to be included at this price for a hotel of this quality.

All in all though it did the job for our fleeting visit to Retford, but still NO BABY COTS!

200 miles on a train with a travel cot is not good!!!

Room Tip: book executive room direct with hotel rather than agency. You get more space and little less expensi...
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 6 April 2012

We stayed here one night having attended a wedding in the function room. We stayed in the stable block, the room was a decent size, the bathroom good and clean, and the hot water / shower very good. No shampoo and conditioner which I would have expected for the price though. There was a lot of dust in the bedroom, the hairdryer absolutely covered. Breakfast wasn't included in the price, which I didn't expect, and we had bacon sandwiches which were a little dry and crumbly, but on the plus size the service both in the evening and the morning was excellent, staff lovely and friendly, and the bedroom comfortable. Nothing special, but perfectly adequate.

Room Tip: Choose the stable block
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank emmakmoat
Reviewed 1 April 2012

Just returned from a night in this hotel. Only paid 38 pounds for a room which was excellent value. The room we had was in the stable block No. 11 and was very nicely decorated with a very comfortable bed. The bathroom was good with lots of fluffy white towels and nice shower gel. Tea and coffee was provided and there was a tv. The staff were very helpful and we stayed in the bar area for a meal which was a typical bar meal but very nice and very cheap. The breakfast was lovely and you had a choice of full english or continental. The only thing I could fault was there was not a lot of hot water available for the coffee but there was only one waitress serving and she never stopped working and was extremely helpful. The town centre is just a ten minute walk and has shops and bars and is very easy to get to. I would definitely recommend this hotel to anyone as it was excellent value for money.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 28 February 2012

The Elms has had a bit of a refurbishment and is much better for it!! It could still benefit from having more spent on it but it is certainly better than it was. The staff were friendly and helpful and were quite happy to sort out any requests - such as fresh milk for coffee in our room. The only issue I had with the room was the lighting which I found quite dim. The breakfasts were ok but I found the room price very reasonable in comparison to other hotels of a similar standard. You get what you pay for basically and I found this hotel to be very reasonable for the cost!

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank go-gags
Reviewed 20 February 2012

Went for my sons birthday had the grandchildren with us the building is tired and the food was at the lower end of what frozen group food has to offer. I would have to be very hungry to go back and wouldn't choose it for a special occassion again,the staff were friendly and helpful and did their best.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Dave W
Reviewed 21 January 2012

This is probably the most unsual review I have ever written! Why? Because I have not actually stayed there sine the hotel was refurbished! The purpose of my review is to try and make the hotel management sit up and listen! I wanted to visit Retford and two weeks ago I rang the hotel to check availability. The purpose of my visit was to show my elderley mother her newborn great grandchild and stay at the elms because of it being near to her house.

However when i rang the hotel they informed me that they did not have any cots whatsoever on site! How can this hotel be advertised as family friendly when this is the case? with accomodation in Retford being so limited anyway I think the management should sit up and take notice of this review. In the summer they will be losing a lot of business if they can not supply family rooms with a cot provided!

Please feel free to email me thru Trip Advisor should the situation change.

Room Tip: Ask for a cot if you have baies! They may finally see the light!
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Retford
1 mi away
1 mi away
Tanamara Guest House
Tanamara Guest House
#7 of 10 in Retford

Been to Elms Hotel? Share your experiences!