“Fantastic Hotel”

The Lodge Vilvoorde
Ranked #1 of 3 Vilvoorde B&B and Inns
Reviewed 23 March 2012

Stayed in this hotel for 3 nights and must say it is absolutely gorgeous! Spotless clean, comfy beds, pure white linen and towels. Everything looked brand new. The bathroom was spotless and huge. The only down side was the shower kinda flooded the place the first time we used itm but then we put a towel on the floor after that.

Close to the airport, bus station and train station. It is in a small town and for sight seeing you would need to travel to Brussels, but you can go by train and bus which are both excellent.

The hotel only offers B&B which is absolutely excellent. Fresh bread and rolls, bacon, scrambled eggs, cold meats, cheeses, fresh fruit salad, yoghurts and lots more.

The drive into the hotel is picturesque and you drive over the cobbled road and bridge over the canal. Inside it is modern but many features from the prison have been retained very cleverly. We found the staff all lovely and helpful and ate out for dinner as well as bringing take away in. The hotel staff provided plates and cutlery.

There was free Wifi, but I wouldn't say it was the greatest, but that's not why we were there anyway.Minibar was expensive but there is an Aldi across the road and water was provided free.

Check out was 11am but we asked if we could keep the room on a little longer, which was no problem and there was no charge.

I would certainly use this hotel again!!

PS I have had to choose the Business option below but it was actually medical reasons as it is so close to the hospital.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank scotslass44

Reviewed 19 March 2012

Stayed here for 3 nights while my friend was having surgery in the hospital a stones throw away.
The room was very nice, we liked how some of the original features of the prison had been retained.
The beds were mega comfy with crisp white bed linen and a good quality duvet.
The bathroom was top quality with high standard of fixtures and fittings.
Only problem was the first morning we had to leave too early to have breakfast which started at 7am, second morning (Saturday) breakfast was served from 8am. I was able to eat there as my friend was already in the hospital, the food quality was excellent with anything from cereals/scrambled/boiled eggs/croissants/Danish pastries and the usual cooked meats/cheese/breads ect but Sunday morning again breakfast was at 8 and we had to leave at 7.15 to catch our early flight back, the receptionist made us a bag packed with a few things to eat and drink.
On some web sites the hotel boasts a sauna plus a Turkish bath...these do not exist.
As an overall review I would recommend The Lodge for a few nights stay, the hotel is used for tourists having cosmetic/obesity surgery at the nearby hospital.

Room Tip: some rooms are smaller than others but we didn't find this a problem
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank LindaPhillips
Reviewed 20 February 2012

This was my 2nd time staying at The Lodge and I've been pleased but I recognize that it may not be for everyone. Vilvoorde is a really small town so there are not many entertainment options in town but it is close to the airport and some industrial parks in the Brussels area. FYI, if you're arriving in the morning or evening rush, traffic can be a bit of a pain.

The hotel was once a prison in Napoleonic times so, frankly, I think the historical link is cool. The renovation is recent and, in my opinion, well done. The main reception/breakfast area is spacious and welcoming. The rooms are also quite nice, styled with a very modern touch - on my first stay, my room was enormous, this time it was of average proportions.

The service is quite good - when it's around. After 23.00, there aren't staff present. However, the guest is informed of the situation at check-in to ensure there are no surprises. If you have your key, there will be no problems...if not, well, it can be a long night. The hotel does not have a restaurant. Morning breakfast, however, is fresh and well done (and is included in the room rate).

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled on business
2  Thank Joe M
Reviewed 12 February 2012

There are 3 hotels in Vilvoorde and I have stayed at them all. In terms of elegance, the lodge wins hands down. In terms of service it's a poor third. And it's double the price of its competitors.

Pluses: very handy for town centre and if you are a medical tourist a very short walk to the AZ Jan Portaels hospital. Excellent breakfast choice. Free wifi. BBC1 & 2 on TV

Minuses: no tea or coffee facilities in room (although free mineral water). Minibar is very expensive. No restaurant. Poor hair dryer. No management on site. Some staff do not speak English

My experience: it was bitterly cold when I arrived and the heating wasn't working in my room. It appears the only staff that are on site are the receptionists. There is no maintenance man, no manager etc. However, credit to the young receptionist who spoke very good English who moved me into a luxury room instead. My one criticism of this room is that the towel bales in the bathroom are nowhere near the bath & there is nowhere to hang a towel near the shower/bath. Also the glass bath screen bangs off the sink, so may end up breaking.

The second time I stayed at the hotel my company told me they had arranged an early check in. The receptionist spoke no/very little English and told me very bluntly check in was 2.30 and it was non negotiable. I told her that I had been told it was arranged for 1pm and she said no, the room wasn't ready. I'm not sure what happened next, but before I could finish dialling to check this the room was suddenly ready, so some redemption. When I got to the room I needed to send some urgent emails. I couldn't get connected to the wifi and a quick diagnostic proved the problem was the hotels. I went downstairs to reception and was told it was working fine. I told her it looked like it was, but it wasn't and could she reset the router. She didn't appear to understand and maintained it was fine. Only when I pressed her to actually check did she concede it was down. Her solution - wait a while and it might come back.

Needless to say it didn't. Fortunately there was a staff change later and the young girl knew exactly what to do to fix it, thankfully, as the free wifi was a major factor in my choice of hotel.

We asked for a late checkout (12 instead of 11) and were prepaired to pay, but were told this was not possible that checkout was 10.30. I pointed out that their own signs said 11!! This point was conceded. Needless to say I was a little upset when I was sat waiting in reception to see lots of people checking out well after 11 with no problems.

I was uncomfortable that there are no staff on at night, not even security, a bit worrying if something kicked off.

The final issue was that I was asked to settle the bill that had already been paid. The receptionist did not speak English and couldn't understand what I was telling her so it wasn't ideal.

My real gripe about his place is that it's run by the receptionists. I saw two very young girls with good English and an older lady with poor English. No point in asking for the manager if you've got a problem, or a maintenance man if something needs fixed.

There is no food other than breakfast, but some local restaurants deliver pizza etc.
The rooms I stayed in would not suit a wheelchair user, but they may have separate rooms that do.

The best things - fantastic pillows/location

Room Tip: If you can afford a luxury room they are big and don't have the same 'neighbour' noise.
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled on business
2  Thank shopaholic888
Reviewed 27 January 2012

I stayed here because I needed a hotel that was close to the airport but the taxi driver didn't know where he was going. It seems that the hotel is not on GPS as it is so new, so it's probably a good idea to print out a map or directions to take with you.
The hotel is in an old prison but it is very well decorated with high arches in the bar area. I am surprised that some reveiwers say the rooms were on the small size, because mine was huge. I liked the decor and it was good to have free wifi and free water in the room. I would recommend this hotel, it is better priced than some of the other airport hotels and it is in the middle of a village, rather than on the side of a motorway. It is also peaceful - no plane noise.
Just make sure you arrive before 11pm - not quite sure how you get in after that as the reception is not manned after this time.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 8 October 2011

Room is clean and generally OK (apart from the unfinished raw concrete ceiling), but service is bad:

Reception closes at 23h (already unusual for a hotel of this price class), there is no staff in the hotel or nearby. Ringing the bell at the intercom, I got connected with a security company (not the hotel staff), and I was told that my key card was inside on a bench. There was indeed a card in an enveloppe with my name on it, but it did not work. Ringing again, I was told that a hotel employee would come. Waiting 1/2 hour, no staff appeared. Ringing again, they told me to look in a corner, there should be 'reserve' key cards 'for such cases'. There were indeed two cards, which apparently were universal cards giving access to any room in the hotel.

Maybe this is a nice hotel, but this lack of service and security hole (universal key cards in open access) is not acceptable. I will certainly not return to this place.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank R W
Reviewed 24 August 2011

Smooth checkin with friendly staff. Good rooms but on the small side. Comfortable bed. Good breakfast. Location in the inner parts of Vilvoorde. All in all a good deal.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Vilvoorde
Campanile Brussels Vilvoorde
NH Brussels Airport
#2 of 12 in Diegem
Novotel Brussels Airport
Crowne Plaza Hotel Brussels Airport

Been to The Lodge Vilvoorde? Share your experiences!