“a place filled with beauty and kindness”
Review of Anema Residence

Anema Residence
Austin, Texas
“a place filled with beauty and kindness”
Reviewed 11 July 2012

As I drove away from the villa headed toward the airport, a few tears welled up unexpectedly in my eyes. The tears were, I think, a wave of gratitude that was washing over me as I left this wonderful place. As context, I was traveling alone with my 4-month old son (an old friend was getting married). It took over 24 hours and 4 flights to arrive and the airline lost my luggage. So, needless to say, when I arrived I was exhausted and a little frantic! Maria welcomed me with a warm smile and immediately ran off to cook me a hearty (and delicious) breakfast while I was able to just sit and enjoy a beautiful view. She then made arrangements for me to get a car and get into town to go pick up diapers and other things I needed for the baby and myself that were stuck somewhere in luggage purgatory. By the afternoon, she had brought down several of her own dresses for me to try on so I would have something to wear to the wedding and by the evening, a bag of baby clothes from a neighbor friend. Maria (and her daughter and mother) even kept my son for a couple hours while I went to the wedding ceremony. It seems an understatement to call this demonstration of kindness and friendship "hospitality."

In addition to all of this (which alone would be enough to earn 5 stars) the villa was also an incredibly beautiful, relaxing place to spend time - enjoying time by the pool, reading books inside the well-appointed villa, devouring Greek salads made from freshly-picked vegetables on the property. My friends who were staying at various hotels around Fira were so envious when they came to spend time with me at the villa and we all agreed that if we ever came back to Santorini, Anema villas would be the obvious choice!

A couple things to note:
-Location: The upside of the location is that it is blissfully serene. After the hustle and bustle of town, I was grateful each day to have a place away from it all. The downside is that you absolutely MUST have a car. While I found driving on the roads to be a somewhat fun indoctrination into Greek culture, others may find it a little nerve-wrecking.
- Food: There really is nowhere close to eat (the tavern they mention is a rather long walk) so be prepared to head to the grocery store or grab a bite while you are in town. As mentioned above, there is a plethora of delicious vegetables and herbs on the property so it makes cooking at "home" feel like a special treat.

I can't wait to go back with my husband and kids someday.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with family

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
Brighton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 June 2012

Stayed June 10th to June 24th 2012. Upon arriving at the airport we were welcomed a rep from Anema who helped us travel to the villa. Then arriving at the Anema Residence we were welcomed by Maria the owner with a beaming smile!! A great touch and start to our holiday. Upon entering Livas Villa we were simply blown away with the quality and size of the villa- the photos on the website, although good, do not do it justice when seen in person. The villa was cleaned daily by a very friendly cleaner, poppy and it was perfect for us and our 14 month old son who loved the pool and air conditioned rooms in the heat of the day. I would recommend the villas to anyone looking to visit the beautiful island of Santorini and we are considering going again. 5 stars all the way!!!

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank mccallalex1
Umina Beach, Australia
Reviewed 13 June 2012

We stayed at Anema residence for the 2nd year running. We stayed in the Livas villa again. We now have many Greek friends in the area, whom we enjoyed a BBQ with, we were even loaned some fishing tackle by Phillip and Petrula, friends of Maria, the owner and her husband Nikos.
The enthusiasm and kindness shown by Maria and Nikos is unreal, but they are so genuine.
Anema lies on the flatter side of the Island, more agricultural, but with a quiet hush, you could hear a pin drop at times. There is a little Taverna and small port only 1km away, ideal for throwing in a line early morning. We absolutely adore this place, highly recommended.

Room Tip: All villas have sea views.
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank sunset079
Pordenone, Italy
Reviewed 17 May 2012

We just came back from Santorini where we have stayed 1 week at Anema .(Zephyros guesthouse). Many places in Santorini look great on their website,but the reality is often quite different. Not at Anema! The property is simply beautiful and it´s obvious that the owner put all their passion into it. We loved the privacy,the spacious pool area and fantastic chill out corner. After an evening in Fiera or Oia which are very beautiful but also quiete busy and touristic,we were always happy to return to our peaceful paradise. In fact, we often just bought some fresh fish and threw it on the grill,had a glass of wine and enjoyed this spectacular place and the oceanviews..
Zephyros is the smallest place,nevertheless already very spacious.The other places have really huge patios,very impressive!
I know it all sounds pretty enthusiastic but it really is that nice. And Maria was the sweetest and friendliest host one can imagine. Her stuffed vineleaf´s would be already reason enough to come back to Anema :-)

Room Tip: Zephyrus is perfect for a couple and 2 children. For 4 adults it works,but I would probably recomend...
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank 831Jay
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 May 2012

We undertook a weekend trip to Santorini..and it was pure perfection. The island was beautiful but what took it to another level was this gem (Anema) tucked away in the corner of the island.

We stayed in the Livas villa..perfect for a couple...The villa is lovely, so clean and so inviting! On our first day we got a lovely home cooked spinach cheese pie with wine as a welcome ..! The views from the villa, its remoteness in the island (but just 10 min by car from the main city of Fira), the lovely hostess, and a 10 min walk from the vourvoulous beach is the stuff a dream vaction is made of!

We enjoyed every aspect, but the best part of the experience was the the warm and very very gracious Maria's hospitality, the impromptu greek tapas she sent for us as we basked in the sun by our pool and always ready to guide and help! Its like 5 star experience in a homely set up.

Highly recommended..

Trish and Sharad
London

Room Tip: For a couple "Livas" is perfect.
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 17 January 2012

We stayed at the LIVAS VILLA, This was soo CONVENIENT, been able to find accommodations for just 1 couple like us, this little house, very clean and spacious, perfect for us, was a dream come true with the beautiful view of the sea, the peace and tranquility of the area and the Anema Residence soundings. After exploring the Island, visiting different places, lots of tourists; It was wonderful to go back to the serenity of the LIVAS VILLA to our small swimming pool , and enjoy a drink over viewing the beautiful ocean . Of all different places we've been, this is my favorite one.
There is a small beach near the house, like 5 minutes away, there is a little tavern, if we didn't want to go anywhere far, will go to this small beach, suntan, enjoy a drink and I eat some GOPAS!! that I loved.( small fried fish)
Talking about hospitality! Maria and Panos, make you feel welcome from day 1. Picking you up from the Ferry port, providing you with a car and all kinds of information. We felt comfortable enough to ask them questions during our stay and always answering thoroughly our questions in a very amicable and pleasant way, giving us advise also. The perfect and generous Hostess and Host!
I love cooking,so this was very convenient to me, to be able to cook at our place, specially because, they have their Greek organic vegetable gardens, and grapevines, that we had the chance to sample and enjoy!
We will come back. After different friends and family members that have been to different parts of the world and different Islands, everyone says Santorini is the most beautiful Island in the world, with breathtaking and amazing views. Now that we had the chance to see ourselves, It's true!! for me the Island and the LIVAS VILLA was the perfect touch for the BEST VACATION EVER!

Leonor .

• Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
New York City, New York
Reviewed 3 January 2012

We booked all of the Anema Villas out for 4 nights in mid September for a post-wedding trip with friends. From the moment we arrived we were spoilt with amazing hospitality. The villas are 5 star quality and the view is amazing. The residence is quiet, clean and secure. It is only a short quad bike ride to Fira (although make sure you do the trip a few times during the day before attempting it at night). All in all it was great value for money and I would recommend it to anyone.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank Jimbobpatto
Also consider these accommodations in or near Vourvoulos
Pegasus Suites & Spa
Pegasus Suites & Spa
#14 of 48 in Imerovigli
Blue Dolphins Traditional Apartments
Cavo Bianco
Cavo Bianco
#4 of 75 in Kamari
Iconic Santorini, a boutique cave hotel
Villa Ilias Caldera Hotel
Villa Ilias Caldera Hotel
#2 of 21 in Firostefani
San Antonio Suites
San Antonio Suites
#11 of 48 in Imerovigli

Been to Anema Residence? Share your experiences!