“Brilliant Location to relax and unwind”

Drakensberg Sun Resort
Ranked #2 of 5 Hotels in Winterton
Cape Town, South Africa
“Brilliant Location to relax and unwind”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 September 2009

We've been to Drakensberg Sun hotel for our December holidays, and found it to be a hidden gem ! Very pleasant, lovely place to relax and unwind. Stacks of daily activities include Bingo, Guided nature walks, Bird Watching, Karaoke evenings, Hyptonist shows, Quiz Games etc. A truly amazing resort with a world of entertainment during the holidays, made this a most memorable experience. The breakfasts and dinners are fantastic with wide varieties to choose from. Plus there are various guided walks, birdwatching and hiking trails into the forest. We are definitely going back to this place for our next vacation... I'd highly recommend this resort !

• Stayed December 2008, travelled with family
1 Thank Naz501gp

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (131)
Pretoria, South Africa
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 July 2009

The only room we could book was a smoking room and when we checked in I asked for a non smoking room as my wife was pregnant. They did so without hesitation and even upgraded us. This after I phoned Southern Sun's central reservations and they told me that it won't be possible. As our stay was over a long weekend the hotel had arrange a lot of activities for children and most was at no extra cost, including horse riding. We borrowed a toddler carry backpack for hiking also at no cost. I was told that these programs for kids are normal over weekends and holidays. They also have a big playing area for kids, so I would really recommend the Drakensberg Sun for a family get away.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled with family
3 Thank devilliers
Amsterdam
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 June 2009

We stayed here for two nights and were impressed with the surroundings. The Drakensberg mountains encompass the resort and are majestic, especially early morning and when the sun sets for the colours. Numerous trails to walk enable you to admire the birdlife and baboons. The rooms (we stayed in Kingfisher 'block') were adequate and clean. There is lots to do with a pool, mini put, pitch and put, golf course, childrens area, squash etc etc.
The restaurant was very good, as was the bar area. My two complaints were that the front desk service was abominable, and the internet provided was slow and expensive.
Helen

• Stayed May 2009
1 Thank nlbulh
Central Florida
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 March 2008

This resort did not have MY reservations when I arrived. I paid for a week in advance six weeks earlier. They shrugged.and said they were full and simply did not honor my reservations. The front desk staff were not helpful..just left me standing for hours.

They were not astute enough to have me wait in a comfortable location. This is not the first class resort.

Oddly enough I had contacted the central reservations twice via email with a compllete copy of my reservation three days and two days earlierand asked them to reconfirm. They did not bother to respond.

I also requested how to check in via resortitme..and they were supposed to email me how to check in..and melvien never did..Guess if you do not bother to book a guest you sure don't wont to let the guest know in advance.

I also tried for two hours online to resortime to inquire as to exactly how to check in. Drakensberg Sun is both a hotel and a timeshare. They only listed a PO box and I wanted to be sure to have the right address.

So there I was in Africa...and the front desk staff after an hour hands me the phone with RCI Europe and they stell me They handle all the reservations and do not have mine...then another long wait.

Then the hotel man says they are full but they had a no show and can give me a chalet. I might possibly have to move on Monday if the chalet is booked. and this can be straightened out on Monday. I had to call and get another car to get my luggage to move to a chalet.

Funny thing, the check in stub only had me as a guest for one night and sure enough I was kicked out of the chalet the next day Saturday not Monday and no they did not have a room prepared..

I never ever ever got any news that this was straightened out or that I was indeed a welcome guest of the establishment.

There were three power outages..one for five hours, one for four hours and one for two hours during the week.

The hotel did have a back up generator and kindly offered a candle. There were some outlets that worked.

What really ticks me off, other than taking four airplanes and arriving to find no room, was the manager told me for the amount I paid (which was more than three times that of another guest for the same room) was enough to pay for room and full meals during a visit.

So I was standing for hours with no room, then lost most of the next day with the cleaning people hovering and no way to transport my luggage to a non-existant reservation...I had filet minon I bought, and other food..and finally was givine a key to drop off my stuff to a room they were reparing.

I never was ever checked in again. They never told me everything was sorted out. I never knew when I was goign to be unceremoniously dumped but I did pay over three times the going rate to have such abysmal treatment.

I guess I won't be using my Southern Sun frequent guest account anytime soon.

• Liked — Location for hiking
  • Disliked — check in and laissez faire non challenge of front desk
  • Stayed March 2008, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
8 Thank Foxes999
A TripAdvisor Member
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 November 2005

We had booked at the timeshare/self catering chalet. The layout was totally awesome especially the kitchen/dining/lounge all open plan, thus creating a relaxing spacious environment. The bring and braai and bingo games etc. organised by the hotel the day after our arrival was an unexpected and pleasant surprise. The kids loved the open space while the parents (that's us) enjoyed the "mingling" with other people. Unfortunately due to rainy weather we were unable to go on hikes etc. Kids still enjoyed the pool and play area tremendously. Both my hubby and I thoroughly enjoyed the restaurant based at the hotel especially since it served up some of the best fresh trout we have tasted. The fire burning both in the bar and restaurant was warm and romantic tooo.... Will definitely recommend to other people and would like to come again in the near future.

• Stayed September 2005
4 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
A TripAdvisor Member
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 January 2005

Date 04-01-05
Reviewer : T.S.Moodley
I booked an holiday at the Drakensburg Sun for the 4th and 5th January 2005.I had specifically asked for a family room for my wife and two kids.
Imagine my dissappointed after travelling 600kms from Pongolla to realise that we were given a normal room. On complaining to the front desk I was informed that there were no family rooms available.They then sent up a foam mattress (room 121). Imagine paying R1295.00 a night to sleep on the floor.
Regards

24 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Norwich, Norfolk, UK
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 January 2005

My wife and I stayed in one of the Chalets in Feb 2004. It is a beautiful resort in a very scenic location. There are a few walks that can be commenced from within the grounds of the resort. The walk to the Blue Grotto is lovely. You end up at a waterfall and a pool where you can go swimming. The resort has it own lake where you can canoe, there is a small pitch and putt course running through the grounds.

The food served at the breakfast buffet and the buffet carvery are of top quality as is the service through out the Drakensberg Sun.

We will be returning to this resort in 2005 because it is wonderful place to relax and rewind

22 Thank Jason B
Also consider these accommodations in or near Winterton
Champagne Castle Hotel
Sandford Park Country Hotel
Cayley Lodge
Cayley Lodge
#1 of 17 in Winterton

Been to Drakensberg Sun Resort? Share your experiences!