“Lovely place, very basic amenities”

Talima Beach Villas and Dive Resort
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Olango Island
Reviewed 10 September 2013

This Hotel is not for the pampered or the weak. Its accommodations are, using the polite term we call these things in North America, "rustic." Those who have stayed in small beach resorts in the Philippines which are frequented by Filipinos will find this familiar. The staff are very friendly and service oriented. The location is awesome, but those used to western travel norms will find getting there quite rough: a basic Banca - (called a ketch or sloop in the West) sails from Mactan and then you take a motorised tricycle from the quay over rough roads, and finally a goat trail, to get to the resort. The room is quite basic, SO if 5 star is what you need, then stay with the hordes on Mactan. But the adventurer and nature lover will like this place. It is awesome to look out at night watching the lights of Mactan and Cebu will enjoying the peace and quiet and natural beauty of Talima Beach. Food is also basic, but the kitchen staff do their utmost to please.

Room Tip: I stayed in the "SINAMAY" room, which is their best. I don't think the average wester...
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends
3  Thank csundseth

Reviewed 3 August 2013

Beautiful little get away from the crazier parts of the Philippines. Really nice accommodation, great staff and your very own Maine sanctuary to snorkel around & explore. The island is pretty quiet but of you are looking for somewhere to relax, it's perfect.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled solo
2  Thank Andysbarnes
Reviewed 17 June 2013

My wife and some friends had a couple of days together at this excellent little resort just 30 mins away from the huge resorts of Mactan Island and airport. It felt like a boutique resort with individual rooms, a lovely pool and nice restaurant. The staff who welcomed us as we arrived by boat could not have been more accommodating, smiley and friendly. It was exactly what we needed, a relaxed weekend in lovely surroundings. The gardens are pretty and whilst the coral in the fish sanctuary was fairly sparse, there was a great variety of fish just a few metres from the entry point off the resort. We'd highly recommend a stay here if you need a weekend away and don't fancy the big, faceless and no doubt expensive hotels on Mactan. Great value, we'll be back for sure.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank dmw_80
Reviewed 30 April 2013

This hotel possesses marine sanctuary which is situated in front of the hotel. I and my family did snorkeling in it. There were few healthy coral, but there were many fish.
Since many snorkelers come to the sanctuary from Mactan by boats from 10am until 1pm, I do not recommend that you do snorkeling in here from 10am until 1pm. When the tide becomes low, many fish which had been in shallow area comes to the sanctuary and the sanctuary becomes like an aquarium. So I recommend that you do snorkeling here at low tide.
In the restaurant, the price of food is slightly more expensive than Alona beach, the taste of most food is common and some food is salty.
While we were staying at the hotel, all the staff was kind. The manager of elderly woman was very kind. When we was leaving from the hotel, my daughter(4 years) was given a shell necklace from her. We are grateful to her.
We stayed at the villa which has 2-bedrooms, living-room, 3-rest rooms and outside space which has a table and a sofa. There was a lovely swimming pool in front of the villa.
Because the swimming pool had warm water it is like a hot spring, we could do pleasant swimming. As a rule, I recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled with family
5  Thank 林 秀樹
Reviewed 28 March 2013

The resort is very well managed by the German owner and his welcoming staff. There is a small swimming pool in a charming garden and you can swim out to the reef. Access is easy - less then an hour from Cebu airport with taxi and private boat, a little longer using the hourly public ferry and Hubble hubbles.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank susan w
Reviewed 3 March 2013

"On the island remember two important thngs (1) the Bike and (2) the Boat " and with this friendly advise from an Olango Island resident I boarded the boat ride for the three most peaceful days on this beautiful Island. The resort itself is set in one corner and on arrival one gets the first of the stunning views of the sea and the island of Maktan with a welcome drink. I am informed of the upgrade i have been given by Nadine the "Hospitality in Charge" and soon meet the family that own this lovely resort. Horst (Erwin) and Queenie who are happy to tell me there's nothing to do on the island except R&R and its exactly why I am there (and fish ..bad news there, as the area opposite is protected with a Warden 24X7 !!) Everything on this resort is just perfect without being ostentacious. The Dinamay cottage is homely and spacious and faced the sea - the beds, hammock , desk in the verandah and the deck chair are all inviting at once. The inhouse masseur was amazing so dont miss that. The food and drinks are tasty and of generous quantities and Nadine and her staff make sure you get it just the way you want it. They are a lovely bunch of people and I was sorry to say goodbye when we did since it felt like leaving home. I hope to be back soon as this is truely a haven of peace tranquility and good people. Of course there is the diving and snorkelling bit but three days isnt enough for everything!

Room Tip: Both are good but depends on the space and comfort (aircon) you want and the best in my opinion is D...
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 21 February 2013

I booked Talima at the last minute hoping for a place by the sea and my friends & I were bowled over by how peaceful, beautiful and perfect Talima was. We extended our one night's stay to three nights and I completed my diving course with Mokie who is great & did everything he could to help me finish my course in my time constraints. Talima arranged for pick up from the airport even though I'd only emailed a few hours before we arrived. I advise being picked up as getting a taxi, ferry then tricycle might be hard with luggage. When we arrived on the island, we were welcomed and given juice straight away. The place is small but this is perfect. It overlooks the sea and although the water is quite shallow, you can still swim and snorkel at high tide and swim in the pool at other times. They have a wonderful restaurant that serves delicious food, I recommend the fish and beds that overlook the sea outside and many other chairs and loungers to enjoy the sun & the view. This was such a relaxing, welcoming and friendly place that we found it very hard to leave and wish we could have stayed there the entire trip but had to head to Oslob. Everyone was very helpful and gave lots of advice. This is the perfect retreat for clearing your mind and forgetting about the stresses of our everyday lives.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled with friends
Shangri-La's Mactan Resort & Spa
ALTA Cebu Resort
ALTA Cebu Resort
#1 of 4 in Cordova

Been to Talima Beach Villas and Dive Resort? Share your experiences!