“Fab holiday!!!”

Arena Dorada Apartments
Reviewed 29 August 2014 via mobile

I'm writing this review because some of the other reviews I have read are harsh bordering on lies! I traveled with my wife and we stayed 8 nights. First of all the location is perfect. Staff were at all times helpful and friendly. The apartment is excellent. Clean and spacious. Our view from our balcony in room d24 was unreal. We eat here only once because there was so many restaurants so close but that lunch was lovely. This is good value accommodation with a large pool in an ideal location . My only issue was with no air con but you there was always a lovely breeze. Would recommend to family and friends.

Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Harvey M

Reviewed 28 August 2014

Just back from a week here,
Apt Clean and basic, No Kettle.
Pool area small
No Air Con -€ 20 for fan with €10 being deposit
Only problem was no where to plug fan in room only the socket that was on head board in the middle of the bed..
Great location - 2 mins from main strip
Didn't eat here

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Clarevisitors
Reviewed 27 August 2014

I'm just back from these apartments today and can honestly say it was a holiday from hell!! First of all we had paid for half board but the food was horrendous, when we went down 2 the "buffet" area they only had 2 options for you to choose from. I couldn't even tell what they were supposed to be it was that bad. Next of all was the pool... It was disgusting!! By about the 3rd day it had turned a horrible green colour, I couldn't even see down to the bottom of the pool it was that discoloured!! When we complained we were told that it was down to using different products when cleaning it and were assured that it had been tested every hour and was safe to use. The next day both my kids were violently sick and we had to remain indoors for the last 2 days of our holiday. I am assuming it was the pool as the adults were fine. The night my kids were sick my youngest was sick on the bed and all over the floor but by this time the reception was closed. I stripped the bed and cleaned up the best I could and went down to reception first thing in the morning and told them I needed new sheets and for the cleaners to come clean the floor properly with disinfectant... 6pm the cleaner popped her head in and gave me clean sheets then walked out again without cleaning the floors or even giving me a mop and I would have done it myself. Also found 2 cockroaches inside the apartment and the place is crawling with ants! There is no air conditioning. The only good thing about this hotel is the location!

• Stayed: August 2014
2  Thank Ash2715
Reviewed 16 August 2014

We have just returned from a stay at the Arena Dorada Apartments. The apartment itself was lovely and clean , however the information booklet that we were given on check in needs to be amended when it comes to housekeeping. Towels are supposed to be changed twice weekly and sheets every 7 days. This is not the case. We had to ask the unhelpful receptionist for clean towels after 6 days and the sheets were not changed in the 2 weeks we were there. There was also no kettle in the room to boil water for tea , but there was a coffee maker, also there is a charge for the .TV remote control which proved to be of no use if you are only an English speaker as Sky News is the only English speaking channel .
The grounds of the complex are kept very tidy which is more than can be said about the pool and area around which never seemed to be swept. The pool itself needs a good clean and the plaster at the bottom of the pool was lifting under foot.
The best part of the complex had to be the poolside bar and restaurant . Spotlessly clean and the food was good. The staff in it were very friendly and helpful .Sadly we won't ever be returning to these apartments.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Evieber
Reviewed 7 August 2014

We travelled as a Family of four Myself my husband, my son and his girlfriend to Lanzarote.First of all the Location is fantastic, Smack bang in the middle just around the corner from a spar and local supermarket.The staff are outstanding, especially Maria and Alex and the chef, also both ladies on reception. Our room was cleaned every day with fresh towel change. Linen changed once.There apartments lacked cooking utensils, And the rooms were quite hot a stuffy due to no air con. The beds were very comfortable, I only saw two roaches around the complex and once in the room. Would not recommend for small children as there is only a pool bar with a snooker table and very small pool for children. The pool wasn't very clean either. We sampled some of the food and snacks at the pool which i thought was quite average.There was happy hour every day, and often daily specials on the menu and the odd bbq at the pool. wifi was available at a cost of 15 Euro wouldn't work from my apartment only around the poolside I pre requested a second floor apt with a pool view, i was very happily surprised that that the request was met, never been met before. The other holidaymakers were all very friendly,There never was a problem getting a sunbed either regardless of what time you went to the pool. The Arena Dorada is basic but meets all you needs and with the price we got it for we really got good value for money.Out and about the beach is a stones throw away, there is an abundance of cafes restaurants shops pubs karaoke bars right on your doorstep.your average pint is 2-3 euros a coke 2-3 euros depending on the bar. there is no room to store luggage on day of departure, and we showered at the poolside, the day we was leaving My overall opinion of the Arena Dorada is good and would definitely stay there again.we had a fab time

Room Tip: c block very tranquil, some also overlook the pool
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank Tracy M
Reviewed 5 August 2014

We travelled as a young couple to Lanzarote. We chose Arena Dorada because of good pricing, good reviews and location was outstanding.

Booking process was easy. I had requested Block C (due to Block B receiving poor reviews) and Arena Dorada had no problem fulfilling my request.

I will say this... A lot of people mention the construction work in the apartments (as of June 2014) is annoying. This did not affect us at all as we were in Block C (const. work is taking place at Block B). We did not even notice any work taking place.

Upon arrival, we were greeted by the receptionist who is dry, has a bad personality, and stands outside the gate most days smoking cigarets which gives the apartments a bad image. We paid the deposit for the remote control for the TV, we also paid deposit for the Safey Box in the the room which was a really nice size. Very big and easy to fit belongings in.
We also paid 15Eur for the WiFi (PER WEEK!!!!). Very expensive WiFi for what is was. Extremly slow, limited range. Sometimes it would work for 3 days and then not work for a day. Just terrible service when you consider you must pay for it!

The room was very nice. The bedroom was moderate size. Bathroom was very dated but average. The living area was quite nice. Kitchen area was a little shabby but there was a nice sofa beside the window of the balcony. (See Photos)

The balcony was average size, but perfect. We had a spectacular view of the sea and the mountains. The best view I have ever had in 9 years of holidays. Just great!

The complex can be a little confusing the get around at first but it's ok after that.

There is a pool-side bar which serves food and drink. I didn't notice many people getting food but a lot of people stay to drink the 2Eur-pint beer.

Pool was cold (in June) and we only used it once in 2 weeks. Jacuzzi was broken, freezing cold water....

The worst part about these Apartments was the cleaning service. Or, lack of it....

In the apartment, the leaflet clearly says that the room will be cleaned every few days and bed sheets will be changed bla bla....
## Our room was cleaned 4 times in 14 days. Our sheets were NEVER changed. ##

Cleaning service is non-existent.

The Apartments are in a great location. About 20 metres from the beach and right in the middle of all the shops and restaurants which was great!

We booked some tours from reception which was very easy and convenient.

Complex is very quiet and dark at night.

Room Tip: Block C has the best views.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
4  Thank JackDooner_11
Reviewed 2 August 2014

these apartments are in a great location with excellent staff especially maria and alex and the chef hasen....we had a very enjoyable stay at these apartments only downfall was having no air con but beds very comfortable and apartment clean

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family