“Very good Italian in PDC”
Review of Sorrento di Italia

Sorrento di Italia
Price range: US$9 - US$17
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Delivery, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Delivery, Reservations
yorkshire
“Very good Italian in PDC”
Reviewed 5 July 2014 via mobile

Whilst not a huge contributer to TA, i am an avid reader and researcher so wirh some degree of confidence, i am happy that i can post the following with no bias or agenda...what drew me to Sorrento were 2 key things...firstly, the fact that it is rated the number 1 Italian in PDC and secondly after studying the TA feedback in length, the fact that Steve the owner is clearly so passionate about his business. Jumping straight into the mains, we had an excellent Calzone, a really good Pepperoni and a quality mixed Paella. All were enjoyed and rapidly emptied plates led us straight to three excellent desserts...2 chocolate cakes and a chocolate brownie...these were all exceptional and along with the service, it really did contribute to an enjoyable experience...as i said at the beginning, im not a avid poster as such but i am an avid reader and researcher so with this in mind, i would offer the following points as minor points to consider improving...firstly the toilet facilities were short of what we had experienced at the top, second and third placed resturaunts in PDC...this may sound trivial, but the ladies hand dryer was faulty, one of the gents toilets had a faulty flusher and the painting left a lot to be desired with splashes of paint on the floor and the door handle...if a review deserves 5 stars its for the whole experience in my view..the food, the decor, the ambience and the service...Sorrento di Italia delivers on most of these but it just lacks that special touch and attebtion to detail thats evident in the very best resturaunts in PDC..certainly from experience, the top 3 anyway. I would return for the food in a heartbeat however and
this afterall is what the review should focus on.

2 Thank Martin R
stephen b, Owner at Sorrento di Italia, responded to this review, 6 July 2014
Thank you very much for your great review, and yes you are correct I am very passionate about my restaurant, and have been aspiring to be in the top ten of Puerto del Carmen, from the first day I opened three and a half years ago.

We reached number 1 Italian a couple of months ago, and we made it to number 3 in Puerto del Carmen last month, which made all of us so proud, but we were there to be shot at, and received a couple of negative reviews that I thought were unjustified, in turn I wrote to Trip Advisor and they refused to have them removed, which in turn dropped us down to 10th.

As you know I read and respond to every review I receive positive or not, and if I feel there is a need to improve our service, then I will take on board any constructive criticism, in your case I will deal with the 3 points you made, tomorrow I will purchase a new hand dryer for the ladies toilet, the flush in the gents will be repaired and the paint on the toilet door will be removed.

Once again thank you so for your review and of course for bringing the points you made to my notice.

We look forward to seeing you again on your return to Lanzarote.

Kind Regards

• Polish first
Ireland
“Very disappointing”
Reviewed 29 June 2014 via mobile

We tried this place before a couple of years back and weren't bowled over but we decided to give it another shot due to the great reviews. However unfortunately we were left disappointed after paying for the most expensive meal of our holiday. Service while prompt came without a smile even when we attempted to joke and laugh with waiter it was met with a grunt. Prawns and chicken wings to start both nice but nothing amazing. The mains really let it down. Fillet steak we are pretty sure was not fillet steak. The look texture and taste were of an entirely different cut and the hubbie has fillet steak everytime we eat out! It was also drowned in garlic & rosemary sauce which was more like a flavoured gravy. I had sorrento sole. The fish (again not convinced it was sole) was completely overcooked and dry and the sauce was tasteless. Wine really good and didn't have dessert as disappointed in rest of meal so went elsewhere! Really unsure how this gets such great reviews-perhaps we got staff on a bad day and the pizza & pasta is their speciality-don't think I'd be tempted to find out though!

1 Thank katieoneill
stephen b, Owner at Sorrento di Italia, responded to this review, 30 June 2014
For some reason, and I can only put it down to the fact that we reached number 3 in Puerto del Carmen, we started to receive bad reviews, umm strange as our previous 46 reviews were all excellent or very good, back to the review.

You mentioned that it was the most expensive meal of your holiday, the prices have not changed for over 2 years, and below is your review that you put on in August 2012.

“” Decided to try this new restaurant after reading about it on TA. The restaurant itself was beautifully decorated and the value was excellent. We shared a pizza and pasta dish. Hubbie wasnt gone on the pizza but that was personal preference. I liked both. Over all its a good cheap and cheerful Italian with good service.””
Visited August 2012.

Now according to your review we have gone from a good, cheap and cheerful Italian, too expensive and poor service, when our prices have not changed, and I have 4 of my waiters working for us that have been with me from the start, I also find it very strange that 90% of our reviews comment on how great our service is.

We only buy fillet steak and serve fillet as fillet, the sole that you eat was sole, not sure what other fish could be substituted, we never ever substitute what we offer on the menu with other products, if we run out then we remove it off the menu, so I am sorry but you are incorrect in claiming the steak and the fish were substituted for something else.

If you are still in Puerto del Carmen please feel to pop in and I would be more than willing to take you into our kitchen, and show you the fillet steak and sole that we have in stock, maybe then you can retract your comments that are not true, and cause damage to our business.

Regards

Bristol, United Kingdom
“Great food”
Reviewed 28 June 2014 via mobile

Can't fault the food or the service, I'm not normally a fan of italian restaurants but got to say was the best food we ate all week!

stephen b, Owner at Sorrento di Italia, responded to this review, 29 June 2014
Thank yo very much for posting this great review , and I am so pleased and proud that you thought our food was the best that you eat on your holidays.

Hope you now are a fan of Italian food.

Kind Regards

Manchester
“Nothing special”
Reviewed 28 June 2014

Why the rave reviews? Average Italian, nice enough lasagne, pizza a bit well done and skinny with the toppings, wine okay for the price, special coffees made with squirty can cream! Looks nice, but just average!!

1 Thank SusieSue56
stephen b, Owner at Sorrento di Italia, responded to this review, 29 June 2014
Thank you so much for putting such an average review on, maybe the 263 other people that put reviews on, 200 excellent and 63 very good, all got it wrong.

To be honest I have looked at some of the reviews from the 34 that you have placed, and I assume that you look for faults as a full time hobby , where ever you stay or eat.

The pizzas are all authentic , handmade in front of the customers, by our Italian chef, we do not offer the type of pizza that is sold in fast food outlets, such as Pizza hut etc.

We pride ourselves on offering Italian food cooked by Italians, with Italian ingredients supplied by Italian companies, Commit and Ital food, who are based here in Lanzarote, hence the reason we are Sorrento di Italia.

I have read your review over and over again, and have come to the conclusion that most of your comments are made for the sake of it.
Normally if I receive a negative review I hold an investigation, and try and put things right, but in your case I do not see what can be done, glad you enjoyed the wine and the lasagne.

Regards

Wicklow, Ireland
“Blunt knife”
Reviewed 28 June 2014

My wife and I had lunch in this restaurant on the last day of our holiday 26/06/2014 and my wife ordered fish and I ordered fillet steak. When the meal arrived the steak was covered in pepper sauce, which I like but on trying to cut the meat I found it like rubber. I complained to the waiter and his responce was that the knife must be blunt and walked away. My wife's fish was edible but over cooked. Rather than make a scene I paid for the meal and left,but I would advise anyone to be aware of having a meal in this restaurant.

1 Thank Ivan O
stephen b, Owner at Sorrento di Italia, responded to this review, 29 June 2014
Thank you very much for bringing to my notice the comments made to you by one of my staff, I apologise and will be holding an investigation, and rest assured he will be dealt with.

Kind Regards.